No announcement yet.
X

Braking question?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I locked up my rear a couple of weeks ago. I was trying to stop and the road had fresh tar crack filler. I didn't know how slick it was. I'm glad I practiced locking them up before.
    sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

I barely use my front....ill use it coming to a stop on a straightaway but if emergency brake ill use a lil back a lot of front and compression braking
      R.I.P. Jason you will be missed.

Comment

oops i mean i barely use the back brake lol. Emergency purposes only
        R.I.P. Jason you will be missed.

Comment

I was wondering !
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I wear flip flops and press down real hard. But I do it safely cause i wear socks with my toe thongs.

With the jokes gone, practice, practice, practice and take the MSF classes.
            Ride On,
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              I was wondering !
              Me too

Comment

You could take my rear brake pedal off and I probably wouldn't know the difference. Front brakes and compression do 99.9% of the braking I need with little to no effort thanks to SS lines and HH pads. Pretty much I only seem to conciously use the rear anymore when I'm stopped on an incline and want to let go of the bars for a minute to sit up straight

Now on my old Kat, when I first started riding, I had no reference and no one to tell me any better so I used what knowledge I had left from bicycles and would lock the rear just for fun to slide it around. Ahhh, youth and stupidity.........
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by RydeBye
                  oops i mean i barely use the back brake lol. Emergency purposes only
                  +1

all front, a little rear if an emergency or hard stop.... i may need to adjust my rear suspension, but if i touch the rear at any speed it locks up _really_ quickly... a few, um, learning experiences and i dont touch that thing any more

Comment

Also covered in the book is how to make your rear brake less effective so there's less chance of it locking up .....
                    I should get paid for promoting this damned thing .

Comment

Just point them KR

and learn to use that front brake just a tad if u need to as u enter into a turn to set your speed and calm the bike down if u come in alittle hot..but Ive found getting off the rear brake in those circumstances helped me alot, and dont forget to pick up your toes by having your feet in the proper position on the pegs.

New boots just dont work well at the dragon unless you scuff them in first .. ...trust me on that one

Comment

Don't you mean rear brake to settle the chassis and set your speed ?

Comment

Thanks guy's this has been very helpful. i'll just practice, practice and practice some more. hope to ride with some of so you can see what i have learned.
                          Kat78

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            Don't you mean rear brake to settle the chassis and set your speed ?
                            Using the rear brake was getting me into trouble at the gap mainly becuz of not having the greatest roads to ride on up here that my techniques had gotten alittle lazy.. once I started touching the front bike just a pinch as I was headed into the turn it worked much better for me. Since then Ive managed to ride alittle further aways and find some nice roads to keep me happy

Again Im not talking grabbing a handful of front brake or the rear, but just alittle bit if I was coming in too hot really helps out.

Comment

Yeah , I've always heard that grabbing some brake after you're already commited to the turn was bad , so I got into the habit of trail-braking without even knowing what I was doing . I always kinda knew about the technique in my head and kinda did it naturally . And I've also read about alot of bikes "standing up" on the brakes in a corner . SO I NEVER hit the fronts after I've let off and "committed" to the corner . But then I read about the rear being a good way to scrub off a LITTLE speed in the corner and have been kinda trying that out off and on . Doesn't do a WHOLE lot , but it does a little good . SO I don't really have much experience with grabbing front brake mid-corner without going into full-on panic mode stop .

Comment

Using the rear was just giving me all kinds of problems on the dragon..its not so bad when you ride just your basic generic roads cuz you dont notice it as much and its not as mission critical...but when you ride those roads down there and I just out of habit was using the rear brake to help slow myself if I was too hot, it was just all kinds of messing w/ my lines. Especially after watching that vid that Jimmy did while he was riding behind me. I was all outta whack..so the next day when we road it I concentrated on using the front brake if need be and after scuffing in my boots properly too , things were much easier.

6-1 half dozen the other , Im just more comfortable using the front.

Comment

Working...
                                X