X

Ideal RPM

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal RPM

I'm wondering what is the ideal RPM to be riding at when not riding in the highest gear? Say I'm cruising at 45 mph... in one gear I might be at 5000, while one gear down I may be at 3500 ( give or take). What would the Kat 750 prefer?

Depends on if you want to be in the power band or save fuel really. 5&6th gear = lower rpm = better mileage.

lower gears = higher rpm = instant take off ability.

In town, I usually stay in lower gears, juuust in case I need to get away from a car that is merging into my lane and not paying attention.

Comment

Just found a similar thread on the 600's. I assume it's about the same on my 750.

Wow, that was a quick reply. Thanks

Had an old girlfriend from Richmond... land of the horses.
      Last edited by tdecker; 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'm normally 4-6k cruising around... closer to 4 if I'm really taking it easy.

6-8k if I'm not being overly aggressive in riding, but want to have some power.

Over 8k if I want fast response and alot of go.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey. I tend to be around 4 k or so in my daily driving. Wasn't sure if I should be higher or lower. Most of my bike riding experience was on 2 stroke dirt bikes that love the high revs.

Comment

Id recommend riding in a lower gear than normal, that way if you need to quickly accelerate out of danger you have that extra oomph.

Comment

I wonder where the 750 makes the most efficient power? I would like to lower my rpm on the hwy because I do 80 miles of hwy everyday, and at 6k rpm I cant imagine its very fuel efficient, but I'm worried if I change sprockets and it drops the rpm too much the engine will actually have to work harder to maintain speeds. Does anyone know if 4-5k for a cruising rpm would yield good gas mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                I'm normally 4-6k cruising around... closer to 4 if I'm really taking it easy.

6-8k if I'm not being overly aggressive in riding, but want to have some power.

Over 8k if I want fast response and alot of go.

Krey
                +1 for me, I don't think I got below 7500 rpm in 3rd crossing the skyway.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

My pre is geared to be doing around 4200RPM @ 60 MPH and returns about 50MPG. Motor copes perfectly well if you are simply cruising and overtaking on multi-lane roads. You just need to be prepared to downshift when you need some serious poke. And it is obviously more sluggish off-the-mark.

However, since I now have a post as well which is geared for touring duties, next sprocket change on the pre will see it back to standard since it has become the commuting / city ride.

Comment

Trput, do you have a 750 or a 600?

Also how many teeth sprockets are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by 91GSX750 View Post
                      Trput, do you have a 750 or a 600?

Also how many teeth sprockets are you running?
                      Both 750s.

Pre - 15/42 (will revert to 15/45 or 15/47 at next change for city duties.)
                      Post - 16/42 (bit of a pig in town to get rolling, but awesome on tour which is what it does 99% of the time. Relaxed legal cruising at 4200 - 4500RPM. Absolutely purrs at 5000rpm which equates to about 75MPH - not that that ever happens! )

Comment

I always try to keep my 600 around 3500 to keep it quiet, but I think I'm not used to bikes and the higher rpms, should probably start pushing it a bit more.

Comment

Yeh - it's not a thumping V8 or diesel, so you need to keep the revs up. 3500rpm must only see about 45MPH??? If you want serious action, you need to stay on the high side of 5000RPM. And these puppies really howl once you reach 8000RPM. That's just the nature of the beast.

I figure the factory settings are a compromise for best overall balance between performance / economy / touring / longevity etc. That means there is some room to customise slightly to improve the bike for it's intended use. For me, that's touring, so it is geared accordingly. If you want out-right performance, you need to go the other way and fit a larger rear sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                            Both 750s.

Pre - 15/42 (will revert to 15/45 or 15/47 at next change for city duties.)
                            Post - 16/42 (bit of a pig in town to get rolling, but awesome on tour which is what it does 99% of the time. Relaxed legal cruising at 4200 - 4500RPM. Absolutely purrs at 5000rpm which equates to about 75MPH - not that that ever happens! )
                            I need a new chain and sprocket so I'm probably going to go with a 16/42 myself. I do tons of hwy driving so it would be nice to have lower rps at hwy speeds!

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                              Yeh - it's not a thumping V8 or diesel, so you need to keep the revs up. 3500rpm must only see about 45MPH??? If you want serious action, you need to stay on the high side of 5000RPM. And these puppies really howl once you reach 8000RPM. That's just the nature of the beast.

I figure the factory settings are a compromise for best overall balance between performance / economy / touring / longevity etc. That means there is some room to customise slightly to improve the bike for it's intended use. For me, that's touring, so it is geared accordingly. If you want out-right performance, you need to go the other way and fit a larger rear sprocket.
                              Yah it's mostly city driving so I don't need to go to fast. Now that I'm getting more comfortable on a bike though I find I'm starting get accustomed to the rpms and the speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X