X

Wheee!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheee!

Just went for my first ride tonight with a buddy of mine (who's more excited that I have a bike than I am, I think..) and since it was my maiden voyage on ANY bike we took 3 laps around the general area, and I gotta say I AM HOOKED!
    So far I have found I suck at taking off from stop signs, (as I like to stall the bike FAR too much for my comfort) and when a car is creeping up behind you out of nowhere the bike goes really fast, really fast...
    I hit 50 and didn't even friggin' know I was there until I looked down!

But, with all that I think I did pretty well..I need different gloves because the liners aren't sewn down in the ones I have now, so they bunch in the fingertips (I'm thinking on cutting the dry wick liner out of them) and I'm finding out that I need to "let off throttle, shift, return throttle" not "clutch in, rev motor ridiculously because of mental lock on throttle, and then clutch out, lurch in gear and act like nothing happened".
    Maiden voyage though, and we're going out again Wednesday for another ride so I can get more practice in before my Team Oregon class on the 17th.
    NOW I know why everyone that has a motorcycle loves to ride!

Find a parking lot close by and do the take off thing a few thousand times, it'll get much easier. Glad you had a good time, now just practice, and be careful out there.
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Glad to hear you enjoy it. Continue to learn and remember to ride safely!
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to the addiction..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by 5forty2 View Post
          Find a parking lot close by and do the take off thing a few thousand times, it'll get much easier. Glad you had a good time, now just practice, and be careful out there.
          good advice! also look for MSF courses near you.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Welcome from Ohio...ditto on the MSF and the parking lot. I learned a lot about riding practicing in a parking lot.

Comment

one thing i can suggest, don't think because your in a parking lot you dont need your gear!..... congrats on joining the "gang", now tell us about your bike.
              "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
              2004 marauder 800

Comment

Yeah, get that MSF course done. It's fun and it will increase your confidence and skills 3-fold
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome!
                  What's a Team Oregon class?
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                    Yeah, get that MSF course done. It's fun and it will increase your confidence and skills 3-fold
                    +1 for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      Welcome!
                      What's a Team Oregon class?
                      Thats the state of Oregon forcing people to take a motorcycle training course before they are allowed to get a license (Unbelievable to me) In theory its good, but I hate the Government forcing things down our throats.

Soon there will be a drinking course before you can get drunk, a butter spreading course before you can butter your bread, A toilet course before you can take a.... et c.
                      Last edited by Omnivore; 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM.
                      My YouTube Videos
                      My motorcyle map!

Comment

After you master the nice flat parkinglot takeoffs, find a nice hill on a backroad to practice takeoffs on a hill.
                        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
                          Thats the state of Oregon forcing people to take a motorcycle training course before they are allowed to get a license (Unbelievable to me) In theory its good, but I hate the Government forcing things down our throats.

Soon there will be a drinking course before you can get drunk, a butter spreading course before you can butter your bread, A toilet course before you can take a.... et c.
                          I think most states are doing that now.
                          =USAF= Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
                            ...Soon there will be a drinking course ...
                            Where do I sign up for that one?
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                              Where do I sign up for that one?
                              +1
                              Tejasandre

Comment

Working...
                              X