X

Any tips for a new rider???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for a new rider???

I just got an '01 Katana 600 back in June. The first thing I did was take it up and down my driveway to get comfortable with the clutch. Next was the neighborhood. I didn't escape a 4 block radius for a month. I was scared to death on the thing. Now after a few months of having it I'm having fun and am a lot more comfortable. I've even brought it to work a few times on the freeway which I nicknamed "The Big River". I'm still a little spooked at times and am looking for some advice. What lanes do I ride in? What's the best way to approach a stop light? What's the best way to ride "The Big River". etc... Any tips would be great!

Damn dude , we could give you a BOOK worth of tips on just those subjects alone ! Here's a little bit of advice ...
    Find someone to "show you the ropes" . Preferably a non-squid . Classes are good if you can find them and afford them . You'll get lots of " enroll in MSF" from this crowd (which IS sound advice) . Get some crash gear . Something is better than nothing , trust me , I know from experiance .
    Now , on to the tpoics you brought up ...
    Ride on the highway similar to how you SHOULD (I say "should" because a lot of people have no clue) drive in a car . Stay in the middle lane , out of blind spots , and never stay next to any vehicle longer than it takes to get by or them get by you . The passing lane is for passing , don't just hang out there , you might draw the attention of a road-rager (like myself) . It's safer to move through traffic , but don't be an idiot and go 110 and say you're just "moving through" traffic . Look ahead for road-gators (semi re-treads) and other debris in the road . If you ride someone's a$$ , you won't see the stuff till you hit it . Keep your high beams on . Improves your visibility . But if you're behind someone more than a minute or 2 be couteous and turn them down .
    Stoplights are another "chapter" . When it's warm out , stay out of the middle of the lane . Oil and antifreeze get dripped there , and it will get on your tires . If you're turning , get as close to the signal wire as possible to trip it . They have a hard time sensing bikes .
    I'm sure there's alot more , but I'll let some others have a go !
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks for the advice...what about a situation where I'm on a normal road and some jacka$$ is tailing me pretty hard?

Comment

Originally posted by jcgroves
        Thanks for the advice...what about a situation where I'm on a normal road and some jacka$$ is tailing me pretty hard?
        I'd say it depends on WHY he's tailing you pretty hard . Some do it because they belive you've wronged them somehow . And there are lots of things people do about that . If you know you didn't do anything to antagonise him , sometimes slowing down and speeding up again will work . But if he's got a problem with you for some reason , that might just make him decide to squash you . Or just going really slow (though that might REALLY pi$$ someone off !) . Sometimes taking off works well , but that really depends on who is behind you , where you are , and what's up the road (if you know or can see that far) . I usually stay at a constant speed and turn around and glare at the idiot . Usually works well for me . I've spat on a few cars (cruiser riding , open face helmet) , and that sometimes works . Some people like to carry change , nuts , or ball bearings to chuck at cars , but that's not really a great idea (unless you KNOW you can get away !) . Plenty of methods , but choose wisely !

Comment

look here too

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Tips?
            Stay away from Range
            Ah! What a knee slapper. (thats for the big ass remark)

JCGroves...take the safety course....you'll learn lots!

Be careful out there
            Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

what do you mean "stay away from range"???

Comment

Originally posted by jcgroves
                what do you mean "stay away from range"???
                ( See Range - there are places where your reputation does not preceed you. That is good to know. )

Range is our resident gigolo, so regardless of orientation, be prepared to be hit on. He is well-versed in the art of wordplay and a source of constant amusement.

Be careful on the roads. I'm fairly new too and would definately recommend you take an MSF course. Welcome!

Comment

Cool...I'll look out for Range.

I'll definately take the safety course next season. The bike is in storage right now (Nebraska). I didn't take it this year because, at first, I was scared $hitless on the bike. I didn't know if I was going to keep it. Now I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Comment

I be Range!

Comment

so now you know of whom to be aware of for bad habits.......
                      Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

#1 tip.....don't get advice from anybody on a forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                          #1 tip.....don't get advice from anybody on a forum!
                          Except MD86 ... Alias " The DEER SLAYER"
                          Who just got his first deer of the season afew nights ago.
                          Lucky Guy MD. :blueangel
                          2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                          Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                          "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                          Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                          Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                          "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Well SOMEBODY has to . Apparently the hunters around here are slacking .I saw 2 more on my brief ride today .

Comment

Working...
                            X