No announcement yet.
X

yes this is a serious question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it was also mentioned that because of your size you needn't to jump right onto a 750. My cousin is about your size and had a 600 Katana for a while, that would suit your needs too. He loved it.
    If you are just starting out I would stay away from the gsxr 750, the chances of you even riding it to its full potential as a beginner are slim.
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I'm bigger than you by about 50 pounds and I ride a 600 Kat. I have no problems with not having enough power or speed. I can get up any hill with no problem and I have no trouble leaving a pack of cars behind when the light turns green. The Kat is also a very comfortable bike. At 6 foot 4 I don't feellike my knees are in my chest like some of the little racer bikes. Room for a passenger or groceries is also nice.

Comment

well as it turns out I might be getting a 750 Katana after all, I was able to find an 05 for 7600 out the door, just gotta wait till monday for the final yes or no.

buying a bike for groceries isn't anything to me, I have a car for that the only reason I'd be buying the bike is for pure enjoyment nothing else. I also started thinking although it had nothing to do with what people were saying here is that yes the 750 gixxer would be a bit much of a bike for me and plus being a first timer I wouldn't take it to the track till I probably had at least a year under my belt.

While it wasn't my ultimate first choice the biggest selling point for me on a 750 Katana is the price I might be able to get one at. Which would mean I could pay my grandmother off faster and be able to not have to worry about payments.

Also the reason I am treating this like a long term thing is because I'd be paying her back while it's not nearly as long as a car loan I'd still be in it longer than I would if I had the cash flat out for it.

I also liked the gixxer for the reason that if I wanted to keep it for a long time that the aftermarket was there to support that, There really isn't that much of an aftermarket for the Katana so if I wanted to improve it's performance after I was comfortable with my skills my choices would be very limited.
        Originally posted by AbeezieSoNeezie

fact: a yammie is a girls bike
        fact: more that one girl rides yammies therefore yammies = a bunch of girls
        fact: girls lie

therefore, the following equation is true.
        girls = yammah
        yammah = a bunch of liars

Comment

well...the trick is...get good with the Katana...then to modify it...trade it in on another bike.....

I would buy a second hand bike though....in a year or two...you could sell it for almost as much as you paid for it.

Good luck

Comment

Dude look around I was just looking at the Suzuki site and the 06 750Kat goes for 6999.00...7600 is a bit steep for that bike...Look around...Don't know what the Stealership is trying to pull...

Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I am 6' 3" 210 and the 750 gsxr and smaller are just that for me, too small, even the new gsxr1000. Now the 2004 1k isn't to bad. But if you don't want a Katana but you want something as confortable or close to it go with a VFR800. I am not sure what you are looking at for insurance but anything supersportbike is going to $$$$$$ a year. you can't get on one at your age for less than $1000 in insurance a year. Thus the reason I haven't bought one yet. I was shot down when looking for a CBR1100XX back when they first came out. monthly payment was all good but the insurance sux.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by cabldawg
                Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I recall correctly when I bought mine there was a prep charge on it for assembly. I don't recall the exact price, but I think it was around 200-400. If 7600 is the "Out the door" (tag/tax/title) that's not too bad At 7% sales tax (Florida) that's 489.93 for 6999 for a total of 7488.93 only leaving 111.07 difference.
                I would agree but he is looking at an 05 model for 7600 and that is not right. The bike is 1yr old...even if brand new there would be some depreciation especially if he could get an 06 for 7500 according to your calculation...I just wanted him to be aware of it....
                Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                  Originally posted by cabldawg
                  Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I recall correctly when I bought mine there was a prep charge on it for assembly. I don't recall the exact price, but I think it was around 200-400. If 7600 is the "Out the door" (tag/tax/title) that's not too bad At 7% sales tax (Florida) that's 489.93 for 6999 for a total of 7488.93 only leaving 111.07 difference.
                  I would agree but he is looking at an 05 model for 7600 and that is not right. The bike is 1yr old...even if brand new there would be some depreciation especially if he could get an 06 for 7500 according to your calculation...I just wanted him to be aware of it....
                  I said 7600 was "out the door" that includes sales tax, registration etc. just the bike would be 6300. Tax here is outrageous too. If I had gotten the bike at full price it would have been closer to 9k "out the door"

girls = yammah

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix_Rising
                    thanks for the compliment Black_peter, I'm not incredibly young like you make me seem. I just turned 24 on September 30th,

I'm over forty!
                    Anyone in thier 20's is incredibly young!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                      Originally posted by Phoenix_Rising
                      thanks for the compliment Black_peter, I'm not incredibly young like you make me seem. I just turned 24 on September 30th,

I'm over forty!
                      Anyone in thier 20's is incredibly young!!!!

BP, you old fart! I knew there was a reason I liked you!!

Phoenix, gotta agree with Range (OMG, did I just say that???"!!)

I think your Dad knows you and has all the confidence in world in you. You seem like a mature young guy and you have your head on right. (AASF is a great school). But I also think that the 750's of today are light years beyond the 750's he remembers. I learned on a Kawi750 back in '84 and I remember it to be a handful, but the thing would be hard pressed to keep up with a new SV650. The current crop of 750's are a helluva lot more bike than he remembers. A Kat750 will be more than enough for ya, for now. Remember, the 750's (or even the new middleweights from Kawi and Triumph) and literbikes will still be around when you're ready for them. Plenty of time to grow, learn and prepare yourself for those beasts.
                      sigpic

Comment

Props to you for being informed and asking questions about the bikes so you can all make an informed decision.

Comment

I have several things to add, although most of the points I would have made have already been covered (such as dad having been away too long to know -- ask him to test drive a GSXR and then give you his opinion).

(A) Think used. A 3 or 4 year old Kat 750 in mint condition should drop that price to $4k, a much easier amount to pay off, and other than minor changes in the appearance, it will be the same bike.

(B) In California it is critical that you get a battery trickle charger for your bike. The after-run fan on the California pollution control system is a major source of battery drain, and many California riders complain of dead batteries (each time the battery drains too low to start the bike, it permanently loses 25 to 40% of it's remaining storage capability). Because of the high humidity and environment in the San Francisco area, I specifically recommend the Deltran Battery Tender WaterProof 800 as the right one for your uses. Disconnecting the after-run fan will also help, but it is illegal to tamper with pollution control equipment, so I didn't tell you to :P

(C) For the same environmental reasons, unless you are parking indoors, get the heaviest, thickest waterproof motorcycle cover available for your bike. Use it religiously when parked at home or dorm or where-ever you are planning on staying. It will help keep the salt air, the humidity (including fog), etc. off the bike and make it last longer without corrosion; it will also extend the life of various bits (like paint) by keeping UV exposure down when the bike is not in use).

(D) If you haven't taken the MSF course yet, take it before buying your bike. Period.

(E) The most critical upgrade in my mind is the changing of the tires; the OEM tires for that bike are pure crud, and with the high moisture levels on the road (plus bricks in some areas of SF), it is a recipe for disaster. If you get them changed out at time of purchase, you will have a brand new set of tires you can easily sell (the dealer might even take them from you; if not, you can eBay them for what they go for new, which will offset the cost of the replacements). For your environment, I specifically recommend Metzeler Z6 tires in the stock sizes.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Its a common misconception that just because someone lives in the San Francisco Bay Area that everywhere in the bay area is like San Francisco for weather and road conditions. I live in the East Bay, Alameda County to be exact. Weather and road conditions here are nothing like San Francisco. I keep the bike locked in the garage at all times unless it's going to be used, I've got a dust cover for it.

I took the MSF course before I bought a bike and failed it, I've got my permit and I'm going to get in at least a few months riding experience before I take it again, I had zero experience the first time.

I read a report somewhere that in the 9 Bay Area Counties there can be between 9 and 15 microclimates depending on the season. Just an FYI for people who think all Bay Area weather is the same.

girls = yammah

Comment

My bad... I assumed you actually meant SF and not the bay area in general. We have (or had?) a rider here who lives in SF and ran into the battery issue... As for the cover, if you're parked in a garage, you're fine -- it's those who are exposed that gain the benefit.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X