X

dont ride a 600 katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont ride a 600 katana

I just went to Pembroke Ontario this weekend on my 2000 600 katana from Fredericton NB and OMG what a ride. I had what i thought was the rite gear for the ride and the rite bike but now after 2500km i wish i had a vfr 800 or a BMW 1200 touring bike the 600 is just to small. I was absolutely exhausted and near broken when the trip was done. also if you are going to make the trip of distance ensure you get the proper luggage and don't cheap out on anything but the best a backpack is not the rite kit to take for that kind of ride. However the bike was great it handled well it didn't let me down and i would totally do it again in a heartbeat . A few things i would change is a bigger gas tank as it way too small i almost ran out of gas between towns and it would be nice to have a bit more power for passing rather then having to shift like a mad man to get around the slow folks. But it only cost me 62.00$ Cdn each way The traffic and construction was not too bad but for the long boring straits a 600 dose not fulfill the right hand requirements of eating up the miles in the long straits in the least amount of time as possible. In town and for short jaunts the 600 is adequate but as a "sport touring " bike, its just not there. I love my bike and use it as a daily driver but after a trip like this I do not recommend long distance or anything in excess of 600 to 800 km daily. A bigger bike is defiantly recommended. I am now looking for a much bigger bike for the long excursions and maybe something with more pep for around town too. Until then i will ride the **** out of my 600 and know in the back of my mind that there maybe a bike out there that will fulfill my expectations and requirements.

bah, true that a VFR, Connie, FJR etc. etc, would be more luxurious for long distance travel, the 600 Kat is capable enough. I had a tail bag, saddle bags and added a throttle lock when I got down to North Carolina for this years rally, combined with my gel seat, the bike was very comfy and not tiring to ride. I had no problem being the leader in traffic or working my way through traffic without a whole lot of down shifting. Too bad your experience wasn't as good as mine was this summer.
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by steve 300c View Post
      I just went to Pembroke Ontario this weekend on my 2000 600 katana from Fredericton NB and OMG what a ride. I had what i thought was the rite gear for the ride and the rite bike but now after 2500km i wish i had a vfr 800 or a BMW 1200 touring bike the 600 is just to small. I was absolutely exhausted and near broken when the trip was done. also if you are going to make the trip of distance ensure you get the proper luggage and don't cheap out on anything but the best a backpack is not the rite kit to take for that kind of ride. However the bike was great it handled well it didn't let me down and i would totally do it again in a heartbeat . A few things i would change is a bigger gas tank as it way too small i almost ran out of gas between towns and it would be nice to have a bit more power for passing rather then having to shift like a mad man to get around the slow folks. But it only cost me 62.00$ Cdn each way The traffic and construction was not too bad but for the long boring straits a 600 dose not fulfill the right hand requirements of eating up the miles in the long straits in the least amount of time as possible. In town and for short jaunts the 600 is adequate but as a "sport touring " bike, its just not there. I love my bike and use it as a daily driver but after a trip like this I do not recommend long distance or anything in excess of 600 to 800 km daily. A bigger bike is defiantly recommended. I am now looking for a much bigger bike for the long excursions and maybe something with more pep for around town too. Until then i will ride the **** out of my 600 and know in the back of my mind that there maybe a bike out there that will fulfill my expectations and requirements.
      Soooo.... let's see if I have this right. You went 2500km on a bike that didn't let you down, was cheap on gas, and was more than able to pass the "snails" by choosing a different gear, and you feel like a piece of crap for probably using a backpack as your sole means of "luggage carrier". And now, you're looking for a "bigger" bike,... one that you can rip around town with??? If I have this correct.... then I'll offer my opinion....
      a) The bike you have did ALL it was expected to do, so don't diss it.
      b) Watch a few races on TSN to see what a 600cc bike can actually do. I doubt you've reached that level, nor can you zip that fast around town.
      c) There is no "perfect" bike. You can't have it all, and I do hope you find what you think is right for you. Larger cc's don't equate well for "around town" riding.
      d) When you get to the point where your bike is "one" with you....you don't abuse it by riding the **** out of it. That's just disrespect. Lowsides, highsides.... it's not the bike's fault...it's our's.
      Riding is a learning curve.... the more you learn.... the longer you ride.
      Just my thoughts.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Last year I rode down and back to the rally in Deals Gap, a week later I did Beamsville Ont all the way down to the Cabot trail in Nova Scotia and back for a week long trip. In 3 weeks I put about 10K on the bike.

The 600 is just fine for a little jaunt around the country , although the OEM gel seat and proper luggage helps . BTW ditch the back pack if your touring!!!!

And while a VFR does have more get up and go, it's range isn't much better than a Katana. I get 270kms a tank on the 03 Kat 600, 320ish on the 06 vfr 800.
        Kyle

Comment

sounds like someone's ready for a gl1800 or harley luxo lounger! Lmao. Guess it's time to retire guy. I ride very long trips all the time no prob n I don't have bags or gel seats (although a set of soft bags n tank bag is next on the agenda).

Comment

Proper luggage is a must.

Comment

I just went to Pembroke Ontario this weekend on my 2000 600 katana from Fredericton NB and what I should have done is driven a nice plush Buick.
              I edited your post to reflect what I read, rather than what you wrote.

Nothing personal, I just don't agree with you...... but then I'm young and resilient. I could probably throw down 1000 miles on a moped without much complaint (as long as it's on flat ground.... I'm not much for pedaling).
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100799 <--- seems like this story tells the opposite
                Chrome Project Part 1
                http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Give me my 600 Kat over my van or my car any day any trip.

Comment

a back pack for touring is just not a good idea..I tried it once.

Get some luggage, and get a better seat.
                    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

I use a Ducati ST4s for touring. Excellent long distance bike, but after several hours in the saddle, any bike will wear you down. Riding is just a lot more active and physically demanding than driving.

So while a bigger bike will make a difference, I think you'd end up disappointed overall and come away with a new appreciation for the Kat. I'll pile on to what others have said. Get a better seat and some luggage and give it another try.
                      2003 Ducati ST4s ABS

Comment

Or try this! LOL
                        I just picked up some saddle bags recently. I wish I'd gotten a bigger one though.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                          Last year I rode down and back to the rally in Deals Gap, a week later I did Beamsville Ont all the way down to the Cabot trail in Nova Scotia and back for a week long trip. In 3 weeks I put about 10K on the bike.

The 600 is just fine for a little jaunt around the country , although the OEM gel seat and proper luggage helps . BTW ditch the back pack if your touring!!!!

And while a VFR does have more get up and go, it's range isn't much better than a Katana. I get 270kms a tank on the 03 Kat 600, 320ish on the 06 vfr 800.
                          You don't count Mr. "The odometer stops at 99999 kms"

-Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                            Soooo.... let's see if I have this right. You went 2500km on a bike that didn't let you down, was cheap on gas, and was more than able to pass the "snails" by choosing a different gear, and you feel like a piece of crap for probably using a backpack as your sole means of "luggage carrier". And now, you're looking for a "bigger" bike,... one that you can rip around town with??? If I have this correct.... then I'll offer my opinion....
                            a) The bike you have did ALL it was expected to do, so don't diss it.
                            b) Watch a few races on TSN to see what a 600cc bike can actually do. I doubt you've reached that level, nor can you zip that fast around town.
                            c) There is no "perfect" bike. You can't have it all, and I do hope you find what you think is right for you. Larger cc's don't equate well for "around town" riding.
                            d) When you get to the point where your bike is "one" with you....you don't abuse it by riding the **** out of it. That's just disrespect. Lowsides, highsides.... it's not the bike's fault...it's our's.
                            Riding is a learning curve.... the more you learn.... the longer you ride.
                            Just my thoughts.

Now that's how you open a can of WhoopA$$
                            Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Try a 750 Kat with a GIVI trunk You'll be good for 1K days with plenty of passing power in the 70-100 mph range.
                              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Working...
                              X