X

things we have learned from crashing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• things we have learned from crashing

I recently had my first motorcycle crash on the street (technically a low-side). I have been thinking about it a lot, in fact, every time I make a left trun I think that was how i lost traction and slid into a curb. Now that everything is fixed (except my sub-conscious) and I am riding again I cant help but think about it. I think that we that have fallen have learned from what happened. And I hope that a thread about what we did wrong and what we learned can help other riders. So, here I go:

I learned to never take road conditions for granted, and that any corner could be oily or have gravel in it. I also learned that now matter how many times you have ridden a road, conditions can change.

Please, if you have a lesson that you may have learned the hard way, post it here. With some luck we may keep another rider from making the same mistake we did.
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
    RIP Marc

SMOOTH throttle ALWAYS! and NEVER Chop the throttle while bike is turning or leaned!
    03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
    04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
    08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
    10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
    05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Be careful on the gas in the corners when it rains. (highside in 2000)

Windbreakers are not appropriate riding gear (same highside in 2000)

Front brake + gravel = you on the ground before you can recognize what's happening (front end washout in 2005? maybe?)

You never know what's hiding in long grass (pallet on the ground, mid-corner, in 1991 when I was 6 years old on a PW50...... you NEVER forget! )
      Last edited by loudnlow7484; 03-30-2010, 11:54 PM.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i learned from my lowside that lowsiding sucks.

also, gravel is not my friend and is my sworn enemy until the end of time.
        "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

1. Drivers in cars are unpredictable... (car in front of me braked for a green light and took off after I dumped the bike trying to avoid him)

2. The first 5 - 10 minutes of rain is the slipperiest (oils on the road rise to the surface to make it extra slippery) Almost best to wait than try to "beat the rain".

3. Gravel is every motorcyclist's enemy.

4. A planned skid never goes as planned.
          ROCP

Comment

1. Gravel and asphalt hurts on bare skin.

2. Gravel and asphalt hurts on geared skin but is far better than #1.

3. It really HURTS to dig gravel out of skin.

3. Cagers can't see you. Really. They aren't looking for anything with less than four wheels.

4. Tires suck on gravel.

5. Carry spare brake/clutch levers, they will bend and/or break when you go down.

6. Be prepared for the unexpected, like breaking a clutch cable in traffic. This can make your pucker factor peak.

7. If you go down, LET GO OF THE BIKE! You really don't want a 450 lb bike tumbling on you. It will hurt.
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

1. Gear saves lives
              2. Broken ribs hurt like a SOB for quite some time
              2002 GSXF 750

Comment

1. Never squeal like a girl and let go of the handlebars
                2. If you do squeal like a girl and let go of the handlebars, at least pretend you are hurt a little bit or else you won't get a moment's sympathy from the man-thing.
                3. Katana's are heavy after you have squealed like a little girl, let go of the handlebars, fallen over, and had your boyfriend yell "Help me get the bike up!"
                Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

always wear gear!

Comment

I watch for changes in the color of the road's surface. A change in color generally means a change in the surface.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

1) Gear up or don't ride.

2) 4-ways are the devil. Either make sure you have a larger vehicle to cover you or slow down and look everywhere at once. Double check for people to turn out in front of you even if you have the right-of-way.

3) Treat every cager as if they are driving blind. Most of them act like it and NONE of them see us.
                      Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

1. Don't give up bc Mark has no patience; improve at your own pace not his.
                        2. If your tired continue to concentrate on riding not on being tired, looking for a turn around spot or the yellow line.
                        3. Always look where you want to go; not that concrete mile marker.
                        4. Ride your own ride; the people that your holding up in traffic will get over it.
                        5. ATGATT; All I got was a little scrape from my leathers & a sore shoulder, wrist & ankle. Could've been a lot worse!

Comment

You can not see everything in tall grass.
                          40mph-0mph after punting the front wheel through a drainage pipe hurts.
                          NO ONE can help you after you fall down in tall grass, they can't see you.
                          Pole Vaulting your man marbles into the upper triple of dirt bike hurts, a lot.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

1. Never EVER trust a cager.
                            2. Blind turns exist EVERYWHERE, including urban areas.
                            3. When riding with friends that are slow, or nervous, it's best to get ahead of them and keep some distance...a few hundred yards is optimal.
                            4. Free Coffee is a total poo pirate.
                            5. Gear up. Ya never know when you'll need it, but I am in no way preaching.
                            6. Always take your fellow riders' advice when they say "That may be to much bike for you, man. Start smaller and work up to it."
                            7. Aquire yourself a Police job. Less tickets that way.
                            8. Remember to use your battery tender. 3 years in a row, I've spent 80 bucks on that lesson.
                            9. PUT STABIL IN YOUR BIKE FOR STORAGE.
                            10. Don't bash someone for what they ride. Two wheels, no matter the machine, is still two wheels shy of a sedan.
                            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                            Semper Fi

Comment

+1 on the gravel + Front tire.... = No skin on my hand......(yeah no gloves for the first time and last time)

2.) Always be prepared to get the F out of the way.
                              3.) Always anticipate the weather man is full of ****!
                              4.) Always have a basic tool kit.
                              5.) Sport Biker riders are dicks (haha I kid I kid)
                              6.) Look through the curve (look where you want to go)

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X