X

Potential new rider.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential new rider.

So my appartment mate, seeing me have a blast on my Kat, had finally buckled and is looking into getting a bike . He is a smaller guy, so the kat is gonna be a bit big for him.

First, what are the sites like autotrader for bikes?

Second, what are some recomendations for him (I'm gonna send him a link to this post). I got him looking into an MSF course, btw.

Thanks
    Crack.

you can check out ebay if u know what you are looking for..but be weary and IMO, If you cant go see it first, dont get it.

call around to local dealers and see what they have in mind for starter bikes. ninja500, older bandits, gs500f, older cbr 600s, etc.

depending on the size of your friend a Kat might not be as bad of a choice as you might think, even though it is alittle big.

Comment

I'm 5'3" - before we lowered my bike, I was able to ride it and touch with the balls of my feet, but had some trouble backing up if I had to push very hard. Also, I didn't feel like I could get my foot down and push up hard enough in low speed turns to keep it from falling over. (Happened once ) The lowering links drop the bike 2", so you HAVE to lower the front forks to match, or your suspension will be off. This will make the bike very difficult to control, especially at slow speeds! With the links installed, I can touch flat footed with both feet and I have no trouble - it's the best thing I could have done for me.

If your friend isn't short enough to drop the bike with links, you can try adjusting the suspension. There are 7 different settings - I believe it comes preset at 4.

Firewall - Which Sonic do you hang out at?
      ~ Lisa
      2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
      2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

they make lowering kits for the 98+ Kat's
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Congrats to your bud and +1 on MSF. eBay and Cycletrader are the big two, but I've found some great deals on Craigslist. (naturally when I have no money! ) I like it because it's local.
          sigpic

Comment

MSF + GS500E/F = great stuff for beginners 8)

I'm still of the oppinion that the Kat (esp. the 750) are atleast intermediate level bikes :P
            -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

I would recomend the older GS500E, Light and no fairings to worry about if it gets droped..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

MSF is a definite. Go to the dealerships and check out the different styles. It cant hurt to try them out.
                Ride On,
                Jon

Comment

Yeah, those new 500cc Suzuki Sport Bikes are pretty sweet, and great beginner bikes.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                  X