X

Bad habits?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad habits?

So I'm watching a video, "Ride Like a Pro." It stars a police officer who basically goes over the MSF safety course. Worth watching, but it won't replace actually taking the MSF course. Anyway, it reminded me of 3 things I was taught in the MSF course that I no longer do:

1) I shift gears in corners, but I keep the engine at nearly the same RPM and let out the clutch more slowly than usual.
    2) I use the front break while turning, at slow speeds, but I'm much gentler with it until I straighten out.
    3) When the rear brake locks and results in a rear tire skid I let off the brake as the bike starts to rebound. This happens to me less than once/year and probably hasn't happened in at least 2 years.

What are your thoughts on this? If it matters I've been riding the same Kat since August 2001.
    Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

1- if you can do it smoothly, then you're ok. The MSF tries to keep even idiots safe.
    2- pretty much the same. If you've been on the same bike for that long, you know what it takes to keep it balanced and smooth. Do just that, and you'll be fine. Gravel in a turn would probably bite you harder if you're on the front brake than the rear, though.
    3- training yourself to not let off the brake/gas when the back end gets funny is like training yourself to not blink when you get socked in the jaw. Work on your response to it when it happens, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I highsided when I let off the gas after the back end stepped out, and I can't guarantee I wouldn't do it again. It takes time to develop a conditioned response like that.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

1. Meh, I do it
      2. Meh, I do it. At the MSF course I took, they practiced emergency braking in corners, and in fact, used the front brake. You had to account for the fact the bike was going to stand up.
      3. For the rear brake, I just moved the pedal one cog lower. My foot has to go darn near rearward to lock the rear. Now, with that said, Posts will take some modifying to get the rear pedal to move down. Pre's require no modification. With all that being said, I also installed a stainless rear line, which, in Hine Sight, was unnecessary.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Rear brake? What's that? ........

Comment

1) They taught us to do this in the course. Riding a huge oval going from 2nd to 3rd to 2nd again. As long as you're upshifting, you should be fine. Downshifting may cause tire lock or a shift of weight to the front wheel and make you lose rear wheel traction (which is why they teach you to accelerate a bit in a turn).

2) It's unavoidable. As long as you are gentle and easy, you should be fine.

3) Like loudnlow said, it's hard not to let it go. I think it matters on the situation, though. I've locked the rear twice just stopping at lights (not wanting to blow the yellow and get run over), and once in an emergency situation. Both times with the lights, I kept it locked; but in the emergency situation, if I had kept it locked , I would have slammed into the back of an SUV. I let go as soon as it locked and was able to go around the SUV.
          Project "I wear my sunglasses at night" is complete: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103420

Comment

Great video i have a few of his.. I've learned a lot that i didn't learn at msf.. like how to pick up a dropped bike but all in all ride like a pro5 was pretty good.
            Bad habits . oh ya i have tons of them.

Comment

Just keep in mind that in the MSF course they teach you the basic skills needed "to learn to ride safely". read that again...

basic skills needed "TO LEARN to ride safely". The course doesn't teach you safe riding techniques, it teaches you safe LEARNING techniques. You need to then spend hours, miles, and years riding to become a proficient and safe rider. If they don't recommend it then it could be because it's hazardous for beginner riders but safe for more experienced riders. Like braking during a corner... can be done so long as it's very gentle and not exceeding the traction limits of your tires. Would I ask a rider with 100 miles of experience to do it? NEVER! Would I ask Casey Stoner to do it? Sure, no big deal!
              1991 Katana 750 (GSX750F) 23K miles
              -Mystic Color Shifting Paint (Cyan/Magenta)
              -Corbin Seat

Comment

I think it's safe to say "if you use your rear brake as your main brake, consider consulting your taxidermist to see how your head will look next to the 12 point buck".

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

1) Yeah, I do it too...
                  2) Yeah, I do it too...
                  3) This only happened to me once, and when it did I actually (by some strange miracle) remembered to keep the brake applied. I came to a rather unintentionally-impressive stop as the back of the bike drifted to the right a bit.
                  Mike - Reno, NV
                  2005 GSX 600F (Blue/White)

Comment

Well I guess I'm the exception...

I use the rear brake A LOT!!!

Slowing for a stop light, I rev match, downshift, and use a little rear brake to help slow down and to get my brake lights active for vehicles behind me.

On emergency stops I use both brakes equally...

Rear brake lock ups don't really phase me...maybe it was growing up in SC learning to drive on dirt roads?

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post

Slowing for a stop light, I rev match, downshift, and use a little rear brake to help slow down and to get my brake lights active for vehicles behind me.

Rear brake lock ups don't really phase me...maybe it was growing up in SC learning to drive on dirt roads?

One of the benefits of riding dirt before street. When the bike gets loose you try to ride through it first instead of panicking because you're used to the feeling.

L&L is dead on right and GytR has a good idea about lowering the rear brake peg. One of the first things I do on a new bike. Allows you to use just enough rear brake to settle the bike if need be without locking up.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeRider View Post
                        Just keep in mind that in the MSF course they teach you the basic skills needed "to learn to ride safely". read that again...

basic skills needed "TO LEARN to ride safely". The course doesn't teach you safe riding techniques, it teaches you safe LEARNING techniques. You need to then spend hours, miles, and years riding to become a proficient and safe rider. If they don't recommend it then it could be because it's hazardous for beginner riders but safe for more experienced riders. Like braking during a corner... can be done so long as it's very gentle and not exceeding the traction limits of your tires. Would I ask a rider with 100 miles of experience to do it? NEVER! Would I ask Casey Stoner to do it? Sure, no big deal!

Good point
                        Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

1) Bad habit but I do it as well.
                          2) I stick with the rear brake at low speeds, taught myself to do so.
                          3) Never considered the entire dirt before paved deal lol. I grew up on dirt roads and even ride my bike on em occasionally (I live on one now though I keep my bike elsewhere atm.) For me it is reflex to drive through any rear end slippage. Never considered doing it any other way.
                          Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFish View Post
                            So I'm watching a video, "Ride Like a Pro." It stars a police officer who basically goes over the MSF safety course. Worth watching, but it won't replace actually taking the MSF course. Anyway, it reminded me of 3 things I was taught in the MSF course that I no longer do:

1) I shift gears in corners, but I keep the engine at nearly the same RPM and let out the clutch more slowly than usual.
                            2) I use the front break while turning, at slow speeds, but I'm much gentler with it until I straighten out.
                            3) When the rear brake locks and results in a rear tire skid I let off the brake as the bike starts to rebound. This happens to me less than once/year and probably hasn't happened in at least 2 years.

What are your thoughts on this? If it matters I've been riding the same Kat since August 2001.
                            On a dirtbike, I learned *the hard way* why you dont shift while you're in corners. I was leaned way in, going about 20mph, very tight turn in my back yard, i UPshifted (edited, i wouldn'tve hit my foot on a downshift!)....and my foot hit the ground! I didnt wreck, but... if that had been at road speeds with a heavier bike (mine was a 100cc), it could have broke my foot. Second, thats a good way to trip yourself.

Also.....I rode the dirtbike around with an almost non-functioning rear brake for several months. Also with a horribly slipping clutch (clutch eventually would not grab at all, and i replaced it, and was AMAZED with the power it suddenly had. LOL. ripped a couple of innertubes too, because i was really too big for the 100!)

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                            One of the benefits of riding dirt before street. When the bike gets loose you try to ride through it first instead of panicking because you're used to the feeling.
                            hehe, never ever went down on a dirtbike (i have many many hours on them, but learned to ride on old minibikes as soon as i could walk....took plenty of spills on those!), but i remember the only time i almost did....A little bit of dew on the grass in my back yard, was going maybe 15mph, not leaned in much, all of a sudden the back of the bike starts sliding way out! I'm not sure how i recovered it but i did. Wouldn't want grass stains on my jeans. hah.

Once on a 200cc honda three wheeler, spun out on ice and ended up standing straight up and down on the front tire motionless.. even saved it from THAT. Felt like i was up there for EVER. let off the handbrake and blipped the throttle..

Originally posted by ctandc View Post

Most of your braking ability is in the front brake. You can easily overheat and fade the rear brakes if you use them alone. Both brakes should always be used for stops.

I'm a trucker. I have an independant trailer brake lever on my dash. There's a reason I don't use that when I'm driving too.....

Hey, neat thing here: That three wheeler I mentioned was a semi-automatic. You shifted it but the clutch was automatic. It had three brake controls. Regular front brake, rear brake pedal also had a cable running up to the front brake so it was all you had to use at all. And instead of a clutch lever, it had a second rear brake lever, this one was rear brake only and had a catch on it so it was also the parking brake. I *still* had to use the front brake lever on that trike, even though it had a way to control both equally.

I wish those two bikes hadnt been stolen.
                            Last edited by phroziac; 04-11-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
                              Most of your braking ability is in the front brake. You can easily overheat and fade the rear brakes if you use them alone. Both brakes should always be used for stops.
                              I use the rear brake when coming to controlled stops that I see coming, just as an ADD ON to downshifting and engine-braking.

Not as my primary brake.

Comment

Working...
                              X