X

Having Problems Learning How To Ride

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Problems Learning How To Ride

I would really like to get a bike and be out riding this summer.But I keep running into problems as I learn how to ride.

When I 1st decided I wanted to get into motorcycle riding I tried the training school thing.I took a couple of lessons at a few schools before I came to the conclusion that I dont wanna take a MSF course.

I just dont feel comfortable on the cruiser style bikes that are used at the schools.I know that everybody has to start some where but I feel like it makes no sense learning how to ride on something you dont like riding.I feel restrained on a bike such as a a cruiser and feel like I would hurt myself on something like that.

As a alternative I tried learning how to ride on a 2004 Ninja 250.Some I know owns one and he agreed to teach me how to ride on it.I feel more comfortable on a bike like this and dont feel so restrained.The guy who owns it showed me a technique where he uses 3 fingers to cover the front brake while resting his palm on the throttle.

I tried riding the bike with the technique he uses and I was able to control the throttle smoothly but whenever I tried to stop the brakes would lock up.I figured it was because I used 3 fingers.

I honestly dont believe that 3 or 4 finger braking will ever work for me when riding bikes.

Since I had trouble with the technique the guy showed me I tried using the same technique with 2 fingers covering the brake while my palm rested on the throttle.Whenever I tried to do things way I would accidently roll on the throttle.

I spoke to a guy who's been riding bikes for years about the problem I had.He said that maybe I needed to adjust the lever to a distance comfortable for me in order to prevent this from happening.The guy who owns the Ninja 250 is about 5ft 9,10 and 120,130 pounds.I am 6ft,190 pounds so I know my size(mainly my height)has something to do with my ability to ride his bike properly.

For one I feel cramped up on his bike because of my height.I find it difficult to use the rear brakes and gears so I am never gonna attempt to use them on that bike.

As of now I wanna get licensed as soon as possible so I figure that the only alternative is to take the motorcycle test on a scooter.But I just wish there was another bike I could continue learning on without having the problems I have on the Ninja 250.

Anyone here have any advice?

I do want to get a Katana or some other 600cc sportbike when I am ready to buy.
    Last edited by KRAD; 06-07-2009, 12:14 PM.

Im not sure I can imaging how you are holding the grip, but I always use 2 fingers to brake. Remember to use the leverage and you will need to be able to pull the brake without any stress so you may have to move your hand further outside.

The easiest way to describe how I hold the throttle is almost like how a pitcher throws a ball. Index and middle fingers out on the brake (when breaking) and the ring and pinky on the throttle with the thumb around the throttle as well.

About the size. All bikes ride differently, its going to be up to you to sit on them until you find one your shape. I am 6'3-4" and 280-90 and I barely fit on this bike. I like how it sits after the corbin seat and I like the looks of the sportbike. Not to mention I got a 04 for $3,000 basically brand new and took the deal

Go to your local stealership and sit on some bikes... believe me, they will more than happily let you.

Comment

Well I have been to a dealership and sat on a honda cbr 600 and a 1995 katana.

The katana seemed to have enough leg room.The only thing I worry about is the weight cuz its so damn heavy.

Comment

ok first and foremost! Take the course! I understand that you may be uncomfy on those types of bikes. BUT.... The lessons learned out on the test range will stay with you through out life. Its far better to learn them in a safe controlled atmosphere then out on a 4 lane black top in traffic. (from your post it sounds like you have much to learn) And in the end they hand you your liscense. As we all know its easier to learn the correct ways from jump street rather then try to break the bad habits later. In our classes we were allowed to use our own bikes so long as they were 250cc or smaller so you may be able to use the Ninja if thats what your comfy on. You'll just have to ask the instructors on your first day in class. most of them are pretty cool but BY THE BOOK. I commend you for wanting to get out and ride. there is really very lil like the sensation. But theres One word you need to learn and that is Patience! Rushing out into traffic and not having a clue what your doing is going to do nothing more then get you killed and possibly someone else hurt in the process! Take your time listen and learn. your gonna appreciate things a heck of a lot more with a lil knowlege under your belt. good luck in which ever you decide.
        Joker
        The newest addition to the Family!
        sigpic
        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
          ok first and foremost! Take the course! I understand that you may be uncomfy on those types of bikes. BUT.... The lessons learned out on the test range will stay with you through out life. Its far better to learn them in a safe controlled atmosphere then out on a 4 lane black top in traffic. (from your post it sounds like you have much to learn) And in the end they hand you your liscense. As we all know its easier to learn the correct ways from jump street rather then try to break the bad habits later. In our classes we were allowed to use our own bikes so long as they were 250cc or smaller so you may be able to use the Ninja if thats what your comfy on. You'll just have to ask the instructors on your first day in class. most of them are pretty cool but BY THE BOOK. I commend you for wanting to get out and ride. there is really very lil like the sensation. But theres One word you need to learn and that is Patience! Rushing out into traffic and not having a clue what your doing is going to do nothing more then get you killed and possibly someone else hurt in the process! Take your time listen and learn. your gonna appreciate things a heck of a lot more with a lil knowlege under your belt. good luck in which ever you decide.
          I understand what you are saying and even though I am impatient believe me I will not take a bike out in the street if I am not sure about what I am doing.

And if I could use another bike to take the course I would do it but I dont think I have the option of doing so.

Comment

IMHO, doesn't sound like you truely want to ride. MSF is your best bet to learn how to ride, but ya got to want to do it.
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
              IMHO, doesn't sound like you truely want to ride. MSF is your best bet to learn how to ride, but ya got to want to do it.
              I dont know.Could be but I dont think that the MSF course is necessary if a person has another alternative.

Also just because someone is a professional doesnt always mean that they know what they are talking about.For example when it comes to braking I was told to use all four fingers by a so called professional.Then I had people who are not professionals tell me to use only 2 fingers to brake.

Now I know why I was having problems whenever I used 4 fingers to brake.

Comment

what i would do or i did was buy one of those cheap Lifan LF200 chinese sportbikes,they are brand new and cost about $1,000 and learn and take your test on it and ride it til the end of the season and then upgrade to your kat. i'm the same size as you are too. i passed my endorsment test with flying colors on that bike.

Oh! i forgot to mention, they are great for city riding but definately wouldnt take it on any highways.
                Last edited by mreedohio; 06-07-2009, 01:42 PM.
                Chrome Project Part 1
                http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Originally posted by mreedohio View Post
                  what i would do or i did was buy one of those cheap Lifan LF200 chinese sportbikes,they are brand new and cost about $1,000 and learn and take your test on it and ride it til the end of the season and then upgrade to your kat. i'm the same size as you are too. i passed my endorsment test with flying colors on that bike.

I never heard of those.And Im not sure if they sell them in my area.

But Im starting to think that maybe a dual sport may be something I could start with and use before I move up to the katana.

Comment

Maybe you should start riding on a dual sport first, seat position is much more upright.
                    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

they normally sell them online and ship them to you. when i got mine in 07 it cost me about $900 total and that included shipping to me. when i sold it after about 4 months i sold it for $1,500

heres a link from the ebay seller i got mine from
                      Chrome Project Part 1
                      http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Originally posted by KRAD View Post

Also just because someone is a professional doesnt always mean that they know what they are talking about.For example when it comes to braking I was told to use all four fingers by a so called professional.Then I had people who are not professionals tell me to use only 2 fingers to brake.
                        only thing i have to add is those guys that teach the MSF class DEFINITELY know what they are talking about..there has been many times that the skills that those guys taught me have saved my arse on the road...
                        sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                        k9 GSX-R 600
                        GO VOLS!

Comment

+3 dual sport

How many fingers doesnt really matter, its your taste. I like to keep most of my grip on the bar, not the brake, its my personal feeling. Also my brakes are set with more play so I have more to pull to brake.

Comment

someting else to think about.. just about every msf course i have seen has had a dual sport motorcycle. i'm 6"5 and at that time was 280 lbs i had no problems being comfy on the bike. It would seem that everybody else is spot on with msf. Nobody likes the idea of having to pay for this to be able to ride. But in hind sight i learned more in those few days than i have in my whole life. Take the class and enjoy it. most of them are not at all boring and often have some worth while play time during the breaks.. Good Luck :

Comment

Originally posted by kidblooper View Post
                              someting else to think about.. just about every msf course i have seen has had a dual sport motorcycle. i'm 6"5 and at that time was 280 lbs i had no problems being comfy on the bike. It would seem that everybody else is spot on with msf. Nobody likes the idea of having to pay for this to be able to ride. But in hind sight i learned more in those few days than i have in my whole life. Take the class and enjoy it. most of them are not at all boring and often have some worth while play time during the breaks.. Good Luck :
                              Like I said I dont mind taking the class if I could do it on a different bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X