X

Motorcycle Helmets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Helmets

So for the past week or two i have been researching Motorcycle helmets (looking at buying a new one and right now really lovin the Gmax 68S)

I found some Excellent Info pages on not only Helmet safety (which i think everyone should read that page) but a great site with extensive reviews on helmets.

Motorcyclist, America’s First motorcycle magazine, publishes new and used motorcycle reviews, bike news, and riding tips for riders that love to ride motorcycles!

and the best review/testing site for all motorcycle apperal/stuff is this site

GREAT for HELMETS! They do everything from looks, to design right down to weight and wind noise.

Riders don't realize just how many motorcycle helmets exist. We have reviewed more than 500 helmets since 2000. Hands-on, unbiased!

Hope this helps some of you out.

any thoughts on the full face modulers? Im liking them but not to sure a good chin shot wouldnt open that thing right up on ya. N E 1 tryem out yet?
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

good websites now i just need to try them on!!
      Why is the sky blue?!??!?
      CUZ GOD LOVES THE INFANTRY!!!
      What makes the grass green grow?
      BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD MAKES THE GREEN GRASS GROW!!

Queen Of Battle FOLLOW ME!
      sigpic

05 GSXF 600
      Framesliders
      Illumiglo Gauges
      yoshimura exhaust

Comment

Wow what a great article. It is good to see that all the helmets performed well, and that the standards did not directly dictate their performance. I think I may have to get a Z1R ZRP-1 when it is time for a new helmet. Now if we could only convince all the skull cap riders to buy a full face...
        2001 Kat 600

sigpic

Comment

We really do seem to be witnessing a turning point in helmets.
          I remember where I was reading that article in motorcyclist, it make perfect sense and the Snell foundation has changed their standards some. Flipping through the catalogs I wonder how companies like Shoei and Aria are doing?
          Shoei's stocks are down 70% over the last few years, from a high of Y3400 to around Y1000 now. ($35 to $10..)
          Arai is a private company so it's hard to see how they are doing..
          Icon seems to be a cipher. Bell is too huge.

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
            any thoughts on the full face modulers? Im liking them but not to sure a good chin shot wouldnt open that thing right up on ya. N E 1 tryem out yet?

In my case Jokerman, I was wearing a Fulmer modular (full face visor slides over the top) when left my Kat and hit the highway at about 64-65 mph. Oddly enough in reference to your comment, the first contact I made was the chin of my helmet on pavement. Not only did it not fly open, it withstood the impact. I bought another one within three days. I was astounded at its performance. I would recommend it.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
              In my case Jokerman, I was wearing a Fulmer modular (full face visor slides over the top) when left my Kat and hit the highway at about 64-65 mph. Oddly enough in reference to your comment, the first contact I made was the chin of my helmet on pavement. Not only did it not fly open, it withstood the impact. I bought another one within three days. I was astounded at its performance. I would recommend it.
              Well it is good to hear A. your ok and B. the helmet withstood the impact...I was reading webbikeworld.com review on the modular helmets and they are not sure either due to most helmets using plastic componets and clips...HOWEVER if you wanna be on the extra safe side...i know the KBC Force RR's actually have METAL componets.

If you guys are looking at buyinga helemt...YOU HAVE to visit this site to read their reviews....they are very well done!

Riders don't realize just how many motorcycle helmets exist. We have reviewed more than 500 helmets since 2000. Hands-on, unbiased!

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                WOW bro Id call that a full and complete field test! Im glad you came out ok! I asked about the chin shot because I had a pretty good spill where I clipped a corner curb with my mid pipe and it basicly 180'd my bike. I took the shot on the chin gaurd of my HJC. while I wound up loosing my lid in the wreck it was my own fault for not havin it buckled tight enough. I was in a rush to git to my boy who Ironicly busted his face in the tub and was taken to the ER. So while he was getting X-rayed his ole man was gettin CAT scanned. whatta mess!
                Joker
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                  One thing to keep in mind about full face modulars is wind noise. From what I've heard they inherently have more noise that regular full face helmets.

I just got an HJC Sy-Max II. It is definitely louder than my old full face HJC. It's incredibly comfortable, very cool, and has great ventilation, though. The built-in sun visor is pretty nice, though, as every review points out, it's not dark enough. I might buy another one and add some extra tint to it. But it's definitely enough to take the edge off the sun.

Plus it's nice to be able to flip the chin up when waiting at a light or when stuck in heavy traffic or on an on-ramp (we have metered on-ramps here). When I have the sun visor down, that would count as my eye protection, so it would be able to have the chin up, although the helmet obviously wouldn't project me sufficiently to ride with it up, it's good to have when stopped.

But like I said, a good pair of earplugs is absolutely necessary.

Comment

Schuberth

I have a Schuberth S1 and it's a great helmet, maybe a bit heavy buy it has a built in sun visor so no tinted shield needed and you don't have to remember to pack a clear shield it your ride lasts more then daylight. It's very quiet even though I have a Hindle can on my 600 Kat I can ride for hours and not have ringing ears after. Make sure you try it on and walk around the store for a while to get the sizing right.

Comment

Well after reading on that site and spending 5 hours researching helmets i finally picked one out....SparX S-07 Skullz helmet.

- DOT and ECE Standard
                      - 5 year Warranty
                      - Crashed helmet program (meaning if i wreck and send them a copy of the police report they give me a new helmet)
                      - Came with a Smoked Visor with a Clear one
                      - Has vents in the visor
                      - SparX was started by the Creators of KBC

best part all for $99 bucks! thats with shipping!

I love the helmet! I love the design....it arrives Wed.

Heres the review by webbikeworld
                      Last edited by Just5cents; 05-31-2009, 08:42 PM. Reason: Added Review

Comment

Originally posted by Just5cents View Post
                        Well after reading on that site and spending 5 hours researching helmets i finally picked one out....SparX S-07 Skullz helmet.
                        That does look like a sick deal. I wonder how comfortable it is.
                        2001 Kat 600

sigpic

Comment

No more graphics.

Very kewl Lid! I Like the MATTE black finishes these days. The last set of HJCs I bought were the Tribal Graphic CS-12s and while the fit was great I found that the Graphic decals were Of the water glued variety. Meaning one drop of your lid and It actually chipped off chunks of the graphic. (my 3 yr old got a hold of it to test it for me) One drop took off a 2 inch patch. I was happy I bought the second one for passengers as its now my primary. But wow It didnt take a whole lot to trash the art work at all. Think imma go with the plain Matte Black and if I feel the need, have it shot to match the ride. But probably not.
                          Joker
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockmetalcore View Post
                            That does look like a sick deal. I wonder how comfortable it is.
                            According to Webbikeworld.com's review of it...pretty nicely, its a lil snug they say about one size small, but it may be due to the smaller shell.

Comment

I was looking at some of the modulars (including the Shark). While they all functioned pretty spiffy, they all made me look like a watermellon on a toothpick. To get the modular to work right, it seems they give up alot of "sleekness" of the helmets. I SO wanted a decent modular, but they all made me look like a bobble head.
                              sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                              '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                              '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Working...
                              X