X

Passanger safety

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passanger safety

Hi guys, my girlfriend likes riding with me on the bike, and i'm riding really neat and comfy, but she feels a little unsecure because she doesn't have any good place to hold on too.
    Any suggestions?

Thanx for answers
    Suzuki GSX600F 92'

Develop some love handles?? j/k

There are some options i think, both handles you can strap around your waist and handles that can attach around the saddle. Not sure what would work best for you.

For some bikes I have seen handles that attach to the tank, but not sure that would work good on a Kat.
    Also there is the Corbin seat with the backrest.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

One hand on the rear grab bar, other hand flat palmed on your "belt buckle" or right there... if you stop, she should turn her hand to "palm" the gas tank.

But the biggest thing to remember is... passengers don't "sit" on a bike... you "straddle" a bike... so use your thighs and legs to "grip" with as well... that's about the best visual I can give on using your lower body also.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Use the handle tween your legs?

edit: tell her not to pull too hard

Comment

second that /\
          |
          1999 Katana 750

Comment

id say tell her to put her hands on the gas tank, that puts her in a position where she is leaning forward, and doesnt really need to hold on to anything. When braking she has all the support she will need when she pushes against the tank. and like krey mentioned she needs to use her legs to stabilize. I have a lot of experience being both a passenger and having a passanger. This truly is the best way to do it.

Comment

Ok, thanx for tips. I'll try it out. Only problem may be that we are small people so we could almost both fit onto the "front seat" =P
              Suzuki GSX600F 92'

Comment

Palms On Tank. Only way I've ever taught anyone to be a backpack.
                sigpic

Comment

Eh, my answer was already taken, dammit.
                  =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by shibby View Post
                    Ok, thanx for tips. I'll try it out. Only problem may be that we are small people so we could almost both fit onto the "front seat" =P
                    Then my suggestions will work reall well for you two. My wife is 5'5" and was 95lbs when she first started riding my bike with me. We have not clincked helmets ever in 10 years since she learned to ride using the above method. It's also a LOT easier on your arms and hands when stopping.

It works well enough I can do an "emergency high speed stop as fast as possible" test without her knowing, and she still doesn't push on me.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My better half rides with me all the time I have taught her to be apart of the riding experience and not just sit their like a sack of potatoes. To ride as one you got to work as one so the pillion has to learn to use her/his legs and thighs, and paying attention to what the driver is doing and by doing so the only part the pillion will need to hold is nothing. My partners hand rest on the tops of her legs and when we are doing the twisty she places her hands very gently on my hips and rides with me.

Hope this helps

Tok

Comment

I wear a heavy duty web belt and keep it loose enough for the wife to get a good hold on if needed. Most of the time she is just kicking back comfortably with her hands on her thighs or resting lightly on my sides (especially now that I have built backrests for her to lean against). If I have to make a quick stop, she puts her hands up on my shoulder blades, which doesn't bother me at all, if she tried to press on the tank I would get a helmet in the back.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X