X

First Ride In The Rain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ride In The Rain

Well the other night some friends and I went to see the new Wolverine movie, and I decided I'd ride my Kat. On the way there, it was dry and calm outside. Some clouds, but I didn't think much of it. When the movie was over, it was pouring rain... the kind of really torrential rain that my desert city of Reno almost never sees...

So needless to say I was a bit worried, but knew I needed to get home. Between the headlights being ineffective on wet roads, my tinted helmet visor, and the fact I have only been riding for a few weeks, it was not fun riding home. I felt like I had to take corners very cautiously, and didn't go above 55 on the freeway.

Made it home safely, thankfully, but I hope I don't have to try that again. What are some tips that you more experienced riders have for riding in the rain?
    Mike - Reno, NV
    2005 GSX 600F (Blue/White)

Avoid painted lines and man hole covers. Pretend you just pulled the bike out and it's 40 degrees and your tires haven't warmed up yet, because they won't. Prepare for braking way in advance.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

If you are planning on going out into the night I would put the clear shield on your helmet and just wear sungalsses that will help

Comment

Like anything else, the more you experience riding in the elements, the more comfortable you will be in the event you NEED to. Naturally, exercise caution during the start of a rainstorm, as that is when the road oils will be most prevalent. Also, a clear visor, along with gentle starts, stops and turns, until the tires are warmed up, and you get a "feel" for when they are gripping. Having a rain suit is also a plus when first riding in the rain, as riding when wet can be a miserable experience, and will divert your attention from the road ahead of you.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

avoid going in the ruts that are naturally formed in roads, you know usually when heavy trucks and just high traffic volume form these ruts and wows in the road. those fill with water very easily and can cause you to slip easier or even hydoplane.
          also try and carry a clear sheild.
          Did you like the movie though? I though it was amazing, probably the best xmen yet.
          1999 Katana 750

Comment

Look out for people in cars who pass you and splash up water. Avoid cars at all costs. Be wary when going across bridges or other areas where diamond shaped drain grooves are cut into the road surface. They will move you laterally. Don't tighten up on the bars, but give in to a little play; the bike will tend to go straight. Go straight when possible and avoid puddled up places gently...don't swerve in other words. I have found that at 50 I still don't hydroplane. If I'm off on any of this info, please correct me, bros and sisses...

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Yeah, forgetting a clear visor was definitely a mistake I'll never make again

How about cornering on the wet roads? I know on dry ground I have leaned to where my foot pegs are nearly scraping on the ground... I felt like in the rain though, trying to go that far would have resulted in a rather nasty low-side fall. But just how far can you go?
              Mike - Reno, NV

Comment

Originally posted by fyreous View Post
                I felt like I had to take corners very cautiously, and didn't go above 55 on the freeway.
                You pretty much summed it up for my rainy weather riding habits.
                My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

You might want to look into getting an amber or yellow visor. I find it makes a huge difference riding in the rain or at night. Cuts down on the glare from on coming traffic.

When I commute to work I use my tinited visor on days, and for the ride home on nightshift I'd bring my amber visor with me and swap it out at work for the ride home.

I switched to a scorpion EXO-1000 this year and it's the first thing I bought, I grabbed a amber lens for the flip down internal visor. Well worth the money IMHO.

If you want to go cheaper find some amber tinited sunglasses or safety glasses and throw them under your seat.
                  Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                    You might want to look into getting an amber or yellow visor. I find it makes a huge difference riding in the rain or at night. Cuts down on the glare from on coming traffic.

When I commute to work I use my tinited visor on days, and for the ride home on nightshift I'd bring my amber visor with me and swap it out at work for the ride home.

I switched to a scorpion EXO-1000 this year and it's the first thing I bought, I grabbed a amber lens for the flip down internal visor. Well worth the money IMHO.

If you want to go cheaper find some amber tinited sunglasses or safety glasses and throw them under your seat.
                    +1

I have a set of sunglasses that are just like that but green. I wear them when it's getting dark out, is way too bright out, or it's snowing. They cut the glare like nothing.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Make sure you have good tires. Tires may look like they have good tread, but when they get old they get hard and this can cause a bike slide out from under you. This is especially true in wet riding conditions. I recommend changing tires every 3 years at a minimum even if they still look good. When replacing old tires on the Kat get a good high mileage sport touring multiple compound tire like the Avom Strom ST, Dunlop Roadsmart, Conti Road attack, Metzler Z6 etc.... Other than that with what you did and the advice that has already been given you should have all that you need from a knowledge base no just go ride in the rain because there is no substitute for experience.
                      If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

I found that sticking in the treads left by the car in front of me helped... But I'm pretty sure I'm about to get lambasted for that comment :P
                        Last edited by Sidney5101; 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM. Reason: Spelling error
                        Shiny side up, Greasy side down

Comment

If you have good tires on your bike, traction won't be an issue. Just avoid the painted lines and man hole covers. Also, careful on railroad tracks too.
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post
                            Make sure you have good tires. ... Metzler Z6 etc....
                            I have no complaints about the Z6's in the rain. They're almost as good as they are when they're dry, although I haven't tested them to the same limits. (obviously)
                            My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
                              I have no complaints about the Z6's in the rain. They're almost as good as they are when they're dry, although I haven't tested them to the same limits. (obviously)
                              Yeah I have heard good things about the Z6's too, they'll probably be the next set I buy. When I got the bike a few weeks ago though, the previous owner had just put new Michelin Macadam 90X's on it (I guess it's the OEM recommendation) so I'll let them get some good use first before changing them out.
                              Mike - Reno, NV

Comment

Working...
                              X