X

starting out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting out

When you folks got your first bike, how did you start out? Did you practice in parking lots and on back roads for a few weeks/months or did you just get out into heavy traffic and hope for the best.
    Submariners do it deeper

I completed the MSF course and got my Katana a few days later. I rode it home from its place of purchase (about 30 miles). I just got right into riding because I felt comfortable on it. It might be a good idea to avoid big hills with stop signs or traffic lights as it makes it more difficult to balance the bike. If you didn't take the MSF course, you probably should sign up and you should definitely start out in a parking lot.

Comment

I tried to stay just on the back roads for a few days just to get used to everything. A little emergency braking practice in the parking lot then I was out on the main roads.

Comment

i got the hang of it real quick that is just how i am but i didnt go on the highwayfor a while i took back roads i took side streets i did a lot of work in my driveway too lol

Comment

I spent about a month getting acquainted with the Kat, on neighborhood streets and riding to work. Then I tried about a 40 mile ride on a great "beginner" road here in my county, and tried dealing with traffic. Couple of weeks ago took a 200 mile ride on both major highways and backroads. So, I started slow and incrementally worked my way up. Occasionally, I'll work on slow speed, swerving, and braking skills to stay sharp. But, I didn't jump into traffic until I felt comfortable with my ability to handle the bike and all its quirks.
          2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Comment

I also started on back roads untill I was comfortable with my bike then started to slowly venture into traffic.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I practiced basic techniques in vacant parking lots while I had my permit, and eventually worked my way out onto the road... then after I passed my MSF, I was more confident in what I had already practiced and learned..and then reinforced w/ the MSF, so I headed out on the road cautiously at first, and was good to go in no time.

Comment

I've been riding the backroads around my house for a few weeks because there's been a delay getting into the msf course. I think I'm finally in this weekend so hopefully next week I'll have my m endorsement and can log some highway time.

Comment

I did the msf course first then picked up my gs500 the next day. I left my bike at the dealer for almost 2 months to resist the temptation of riding it before I had finished the course.

Comment

I spent about a month riding the local streets and parking lots. I made it my goal to be comfortable enough to ride to my buddy's house at the end of the month. I made it one pice despite getting stuck is a terrible rain storm.

Comment

the time spent is up to you and your ability. pratice straight runs, sarting and stopping. then big turns, sharper and sharper as you go. then straight aways into higher gears. when you feel comfortable with it, then you know.

Bob

Pre 98's Rock!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1593731870

http://www.myspace.com/bobbyma

Comment

To tell you the truth, at the begining when you are in back roads and just cruising slow around the neighborhood, you can't wait to get out to the highway and blend into traffic.
                        Thats the way it is man but drive safe.
                        Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

I went and took the MSF .. go tthe kat.. trailered it home and since i took the msf i felt aight on it and took it around the subdivision.. then on the street and kept going out more and more.. now i get on it and feel at home...

I even feel good on taz's kat since it is in my garage.. just kidding taz
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I trailered my bike home when I bought it. I got it out on the road I live on (back-road, tar & chip) to get used to the controls and everything.

After that I got it out on the highway (relatively no traffic, with several nice curves) and got used to riding at speed.

Next I got my license..
                            Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

I took the riders course last fall and picked up my Kat in March. Since then I've been riding up and down the back road and on the base on weekends to practice my stops and turns.

I'm slowly making my way onto the busy street here. Sometimes I feel comfortable to get on the busy roads and sometimes I don't because of the summertime bumper to bumper tourist traffic. I did it last night for a couple miles and told myself all I needed to do was stay in my lane and I would be fine. I did it without any problems. My goal is to ride it to my buddy's house about 12 miles which entailes going over a couple big bridges (then I have to deal with the crosswinds). No matter where I go, I have to go over a bridge to get off the island.

I guess because I hear of so many bad motorcycle accidents, I want to be able to control the bike flawlessly before I attemp any Saturday afternoon road trips.
                              Submariners do it deeper

Comment

Working...
                              X