X

First Practice Ride

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Practice Ride

Hi Kat Riders! Got my 2001 Katana 600 running good and took it to a big parking lot to practice for the license test and get familiar. The bike is awesome in my opinion. I took it easy just starting out and shifting up to 3rd, practiced turns going pretty slow and braking. The only problem I had was when I stopped too suddenly once and racked myself on the gas tank. OUCH

Yeah, watch out for big bumps between expansion joints on the freeway and even surface streets. Potholes, rough pavement, they all sacrifice the boys against the tank.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      they all sacrifice the boys against the tank.
      been there,... done that!

Good luck with your test LHawk!
      ROCP

Comment

Welcome to the 'break in'
        sigpic

Comment

good job and keep practicing!! when your stopping hard like that, try and squeeze the tank with your knees to keep from smashing the boys...
          sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
          k9 GSX-R 600
          GO VOLS!

Comment

LOL....keep practising...... good advice so far...and be VERY conscious when riding two-up.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

been there,... done that!
              Also done that
              1999 Katana 750

Comment

You clamp the tank which yore legs to prevent rackage . Don't "push" on the bars , as that can transmit bumps & such through the bars resulting in unwanted control input .
                Also , briefs are NOT a bad thing . I tired boxers on a bike ..... once . When I sat on the boys during a transition and almost distracted myself right off the damned road , I decided it wasn't worth it .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Some good advice here.
                  Also I find that you should loosen your grip on the handle bars if approaching bumps in the road (if you cant avoid them) instead of tightening the grip as might be your reflex action.
                  Loosening your grip lets the suspension of the bike take the force of the bump without it planting itself up your arms.
                  2002 GSXF 750

Comment

And thus , transmitting unwanted control inputs thought your stiff arms to the bars .....
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                      And thus , transmitting unwanted control inputs thought your stiff arms to the bars .....
                      Sorry, did not mean to step on your point, just adding my view of the issue
                      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

When I was mountainbiking it was always tight grip, loose elbows. Took practice. I try to be the same on the road bike and find it works fine for me. I do suffer from numb hands after a long time of sitting on the highway at 4500rpm, but going through the twisties it's sweet for me. Each their own I suppose.

Comment

It's all in the knees. Well...I guess the thighs really.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                          -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

keep praticeing listen to what these guys got to say, and go to the bmv and get a diagram of there test set up. it not going to be like u may think. i pratice all kind of things and when i thought i was ready. i found out fast that i wasn't, aleast not for the bmv set-up. go there first then pratice the diagram of there set-up

Comment

Thanks for the good advice everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X