X

Pass or Fail MSF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass or Fail MSF?

Well Mather and I took the MSF this weekend. It was HOT but at least we didn't have rain and snow. (For anyone else doing this class in hot weather, take lots of water. I wore full gear and I got a little dehydrated.) The class was great. We had great instructors who were patient and very helpful. I went into the class not know how to turn from a stop (like at an intersection), shift, take off on an incline, stop quickly and I'm sure several other things but those were the major ones. The only experience I had was riding in a parking lot for about 2 hours total seat time. I could make the bike go, turn and stop (sometimes not very well tho), some figure 8's but not very tight. After the class I feel fairly profiecent in all the aspects I was having trouble with. I feel confident that I will be able to ride on the road now. I will have to take my time on curvy roads until my judgement gets a little better and I know my bike a little more but I CAN do it. Can't wait to get the season underway!

Oh yea... we both passed. Mather didn't need to go but I wanted him there for a little support. He had a great time also and was able to help a little more since he already knew how to do the exercises. Great class!

:tracy
    sigpic

“Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.”

“Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another.”

Immanuel Kant

congrats on passing. the course is extremely helpful, and set up in such a great way. i went into the course with absolutely ZERO experience, aside from how to ride a bicycle lol. the most time i had spent on a motorcycle was as a passenger with my dad once when i was 12. was a little nervous going into the course cause i didnt know what to expect. a friend of mine had taken in a month or two before me and said it was a breeze. the instructors are good, and they have everything setup just right, the pace is perfect, so by the end of the day, you've become a decent rider. i've been riding a year now and feel comfortable in all situations. the course gives you the knowledge, now it's your job to gain the experience
    2004 Katana
    GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Tinkerbell, who were your instructors? I know a lot of those guys that teach the MSF at Mid-Ohio, Delaware North/South, Mansfield, and Cleveland area.

I took the MSF in Mansfield last year and didn't miss a point! (I know...it's not a competition, it's what you get out of the course)

But I do think the course is great, and especially in Ohio where there is so much support for the program.... Thanks to the license plate fees everyone pays in Ohio, we can get the course for $25!

If anyone is thinking of taking the course, DO! You will learn a lot, even if you think you know what you're doing, make sure you are indeed doing it correctly!

Comment

Originally posted by ansobu View Post
        Tinkerbell, who were your instructors? I know a lot of those guys that teach the MSF at Mid-Ohio, Delaware North/South, Mansfield, and Cleveland area.
        They were Gill Moore and Fred Thomas. We took it at Rio Grande. Great instructors.
        sigpic

“Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another.”

Immanuel Kant

Comment

Nope, don't know them.... but I have heard good things from that site at the University.

Ride Safe! (especially with all of those lovely hills down there!)

Comment

Yeah you !!!!!
            Guylaine
            Try and keep up now

Comment

Congratulations Tinkerbell!! I take my course this Saturday and Sunday. I've never even attempted to ride a motorcycle before so I'm wet behind the ears big time. I hope my bike comes out the shop this week so once I pass (I claim the victory) I'll be able to get in lots of practice.

How much classroom time was there?

Thanks for the heads up about the water. I'll take my 32 oz bottle and hopefully be able to refill it. Wish me luck!!
              This is only the beginning.

Comment

I did the course 2 years ago and I recommend it to anyone learning to ride since I got a bunch of friends looking at getting into biking this year. No one should learn to ride without this course its awesome
                1999 Katana 750

Comment

Congrats!!!

I myself took the MSF Experienced Rider Course on Sunday, and passed.... and got my MC license.

great courses, and i recommend them to anyone!

See My Garage for mods...
                  T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                  Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
                    Yeah you !!!!!
                    Thanks Sky!

Originally posted by A_Lady View Post
                    I hope my bike comes out the shop this week so once I pass (I claim the victory) I'll be able to get in lots of practice.

How much classroom time was there?

Thanks for the heads up about the water. I'll take my 32 oz bottle and hopefully be able to refill it. Wish me luck!!

My classroom time was about 4 hours. I will tell you though riding and doing sooo much clutch work, my arms are really sore and I doubt that I would be able to ride safely right now. Maybe in a few days.

Good luck! You will have fun and learn a lot!
                    sigpic

Immanuel Kant

Comment

Congrats! It's actually a fun course, but there's always that one guy/girl who takes it way too seriously. I was in a course where one guy just kept getting angry at himself and everyone else. -No doubt a budding road-rager.

Have fun and be safe!
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I was getting a little discouraged with the figure 8 but after some coaching and encouragement I was ok. I only got it in the box about 3 times tho. Our lot wasn't flat either. It had pretty good inclines on both sides. (about like a half pipe lol) In the end I was glad it did because I learned more about maneuvering on hills and speed control.
                        sigpic

Immanuel Kant

Comment

Kristin and I took the MSF class over the weekend as well. I felt like a cooked ham until the class was over.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Congrats on passing the class!!! yeah the figure 8 and truning around in that box thing were a mofo
                            This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                            BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Congrats Tink. Get some practice so you can get out with us, without riding Breeze.

Comment

Working...
                              X