X

thanks to all who stress practicing breaking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks to all who stress practicing breaking

Zepp, i believe it is, has stressed practicing emergency breaking A LOT on here...and i can gladly say it payed off for me today..

The last couple of weeks I have been reading a lot of posts concerning emergency breaking. So, i decided to freshen up my skills, and start practicing every safe chance i get. WOW am i glad i did... coming down the highway today, going with the flow of traffic, doing about 55-60 (in a 55) the practicing payed off. I always try to watch as far ahead as i can, but today i could only see the truck in front of me (big lifted dodge ram) and the truck infront of it..an old beater carrying a bunch of bricks on the trailer. well i see the truck with the bricks hit a bump, and next thing i know i hear the screatching tires of the dodge ram..it swerves, and i see an un-attached trailer throwing bricks EVERYWHERE coming straight at me....I quickly glanced to the left ( i was in the right lane) and saw i had no where to go due to the corvette next to me. so basically what happend was, i slammed on the breaks.. w/out locking them up...and managed to not hit ANY bricks, or the trailer..ended up going onto the shoulder and was able to go around it at about 10 mph.....but im not gonna lie, i feel kind of lucky.

just thought i would say thanks to all yall who stress practicing your breaking!!!
    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
    k9 GSX-R 600
    GO VOLS!

Very glad to hear your okay, the bike is fine, and it ended well in that respect. Repetition brings clarity, and helps us react much better in emergency situations. Great job!

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

damn man glad the gsxr is ok.... and you

I practice as much as I can without ruining my tires, its a good idea.

Comment

I remember at the MSF course I locked up my brakes during a breaking exercise and learned what NOT to do on the road, lol better to learn there for your first time than on a "real" road.

Comment

Sweet job! Well done. Now to clean that brown streak off your seat

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorange189 View Post
            Zepp, i believe it is, has stressed practicing emergency breaking A LOT on here...and i can gladly say it payed off for me today..

The last couple of weeks I have been reading a lot of posts concerning emergency breaking. So, i decided to freshen up my skills, and start practicing every safe chance i get. WOW am i glad i did... coming down the highway today, going with the flow of traffic, doing about 55-60 (in a 55) the practicing payed off. I always try to watch as far ahead as i can, but today i could only see the truck in front of me (big lifted dodge ram) and the truck infront of it..an old beater carrying a bunch of bricks on the trailer. well i see the truck with the bricks hit a bump, and next thing i know i hear the screatching tires of the dodge ram..it swerves, and i see an un-attached trailer throwing bricks EVERYWHERE coming straight at me....I quickly glanced to the left ( i was in the right lane) and saw i had no where to go due to the corvette next to me. so basically what happend was, i slammed on the breaks.. w/out locking them up...and managed to not hit ANY bricks, or the trailer..ended up going onto the shoulder and was able to go around it at about 10 mph.....but im not gonna lie, i feel kind of lucky.

just thought i would say thanks to all yall who stress practicing your breaking!!!
            Thanks for sharing bro. Glad to hear that you have been practicing and were able to handle the emergency situation you faced. I DO stress it over and over because it is VERY important and can save your life.

We lost two bikers in two days locally here this week because of cars that pulled out in front of riders. I believe that many of these deaths can be prevented. I say these things on here and another local forum all the time. If someone reads the tips and stays safe because they took them into consideration, that is awesome!!!

So here I go again. Sorry to sound like a broken record but I think it is very important to pound these into people's heads.

Everyone, please remember that often times cagers don't see you, don't EVER assume that they do. Also, even if they do see you, it is very hard for some to judge a bikes speed and distance.

A few tips to take into consideration, that could save your life.

- Get into the habit of riding with your fingers ready on the front brake, especially any time you're in traffic or when a car ahead is ready to turn out into your path. It could make the difference between being able to stop in time or not.

- Always have an exit strategy in case a car pulls out. Position yourself in your lane for that strategy. If you can't stop in time, then you might have to make an evasive maneuver.

- Also, if they're creeping forward, you better be on the brakes. They may see you but they may not. It's not worth the risk.

Watch the front wheels, they don't lie. If they're rolling, you best be braking

- If you don't think they see you, often times they don't and are looking right past you. Try a little side to side turning motion to get their attention. It works, I have done this many times to get a cars attention.

- Very important. practice your panic braking so that it becomes instinctive. If you ride at 100mph, then you better be able to stop very quickly from those speeds too, without locking up your brakes. Start at slower speeds and build up faster and faster until you can brake at any and all speeds that you normally ride. Find a place with no cars or traffic and practice. That way you will be prepared when YOU DO have to do some emergency braking. It's not matter of if but when it will happen.

Anyone can twist the throttle to go fast. A good rider will be able to stop quickly and safely from those speeds without locking up the brakes.
            2007 Honda CBR600rr
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
            sigpic

Comment

sounds like your angel was riding with you

Comment

Good job!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Good to hear the practice paid off and your alright.

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                  - Always have an exit strategy
                  - Very important. practice your panic braking so that it becomes instinctive. If you ride at 100mph, then you better be able to stop very quickly from those speeds too, without locking up your brakes. Start at slower speeds and build up faster and faster until you can brake at any and all speeds that you normally ride. Find a place with no cars or traffic and practice. That way you will be prepared when YOU DO have to do some emergency braking. It's not matter of if but when it will happen.

Anyone can twist the throttle to go fast. A good rider will be able to stop quickly and safely from those speeds without locking up the brakes.
                  Last edited by uniquelyme; 04-28-2009, 03:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by uniquelyme View Post
                    Good to hear the practice paid off and your alright.

Comment

I think hard braking; being able to ride the threshold of front wheel lockup, is a skill set that many riders lack.
                      If you live near some twisties, you can get pretty regular practice cornering hard, however stopping very quickly is somthing that you rarely have to do, so you don't get much practice at it... but when you do need it, you usually really really need it.

I think that one thing that helps alot, is always covering your front brake. I always cover to the point where it feels awkward to me when I'm not. If you already got two fingers there, you can immediatly start applying progressive pressure, instead of having to suddenly grab for the brake lever.

Comment

Working...
                      X