X

how much sand is enough to worrie about

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much sand is enough to worrie about

so here in the NE we had one of the coldest and snowiest winters in years. so much so that the state (RI) literally was running out of funds to put down sand and some cities were skimping on sand. so to say the least there is a TON of sand on the roads now. its warm enough that i have the kat out and im riding around and finding it difficult because of all that sand to come on and off side streets where it really tends to build up. my question is how much sand is enough to give me problems? thanks guys.

Depending on your riding experience and ability,

A teaspoon of sand on the road could kill you.

Don't know what to say other than that, be careful out there!

J

Comment

Take the corners with the greatest of ease until you're sure they're clear. Just pretend it's snow and stay off of it. Sorry to hear about your sandcastle worthy road conditions, hopfully they start sweeping it soon!
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Take it easy until they clean up the roads.
        +1 on what jetmerritt said.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

If you can see it, it's enough to be a problem.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Im in NE as well. And yes you should watch out till the roads get washed off and or cleaned off. I learned my lesson because i was fooling around on some backroads and hit the smallest amount of sand. Luckily we still have snow still so i missed trees and landed in snow phew. Bike wasnt as lucky, but still driveable

-be careful
            1992 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
              Depending on your riding experience and ability,

A teaspoon of sand on the road could kill you.

Don't know what to say other than that, be careful out there!

J
              -
              -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

I live in PEI (north eastern Canada) where we use salt and sand on the roads all winter long. I see a few bikes out right now but Im going to wait till we get 1 or 2 days of rain to wash the junk off of the roads. Then I will be out playing too

Comment

You shouldn't have a problem as long as you pay attention and take it easy around corners with sand in them
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

Any sand in a corner is to much . Stay in the car tire lanes and take it easy in the corners . Be safe and have fun
                    Bill
                    1989 Katana 600 Blue on Black
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Racer87 View Post
                      Any sand in a corner is to much . Stay in the car tire lanes and take it easy in the corners . Be safe and have fun

I have been out a few times already, and I have just stayed on the more travelled roads . because of all the sand. on the twisty roads, it's still early, good enough to say you got a ride in . + the tires don't heat up enough either ! Spring , when will it get here
                      Last edited by waveman; 04-04-2009, 10:55 AM.
                      sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

a lot. any amount is enough to make you go down.
                        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                        Current Bikes:
                        1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

We get the same with rain

When it rains here, it rains pretty heavy and that washes a hell of a lot of crap on to, as always, the corners. Any sand or debris on the road when your in a tilt, is baaaaaad.

Comment

Ok, just about lowsided for the first time last weekend .

I was going up a steep paved switchback road and I was having a little fun. On one of the switchbacks I hit a little sand, so little I couldn't even see it on the road and back tire skipped out a few inches and I just about biffed it. I was only going around 10-15mph around the sharp turn, but what a wake up call.

I just can' imagine how much damage the Kat would have taken from that little lowside. I'm guessing a side fairing, bar end and much more. These aren't cheap bikes to lay over.

Maybe it's time to bolt on some sliders?

Sand Kills!

Comment

Stay off the paint too. That's slippery sheit...
                              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X