X

Two up tips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two up tips

My girlfriend is tired of me going out on rides without her and wants to come along. I have never rode two up so I want to ease us both into it. I know it's a totally different world so I was hoping to gain some good tips from the ever knowledgeable katrider community.

Thanks in advance.
    Let's go riding!

find a big empty parkin lot..and start out there...ride around a little bit to get used to the feel of having someone on the back..and remember easy on the brakes and gas!! and make sure she knows when to lean etc.
    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
    k9 GSX-R 600
    GO VOLS!

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorange189 View Post
      find a big empty parkin lot..and start out there...ride around a little bit to get used to the feel of having someone on the back..and remember easy on the brakes and gas!! and make sure she knows when to lean etc.
      Former Marine 3/97-3/01
      MOS 0161 Semper FI!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorange189 View Post
        Communication is key here. This is not a complete list, but things you both should know/do.

Tell your rider the following.

Always ask before mounting or unmounting the bike.

Keep your feet on the passenger pegs at all times unless you have notified the rider your getting off.

"lean" with the rider. Not more than or less than. Good start would be to have them place arms around you so that they move with you and get an understanding of this at low speeds first.

Don't twist around, look behind, lean over, etc when moving. Thier movement will effect the bikes movement.

Relax, they won't fall of the bike (and accordingly, don't be horsing around, use smooth starts and stops to build up their trust of the situation)

Work out your own hand signals incase noise prevents vocal comunication. Taps on the shoulder or knee, hand gestures, or other ways to communicate things like stop, hold on, bathroom break, so on.

Those are some tips... I'm sure I forgetting a few things.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

try to pop a wheelie within the first 5 minutes. after that, she wont bother you again.

how long have you been riding for???
          Last edited by Alex F.; 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Alex F. View Post
            try to pop a wheelie within the first 5 minutes. after that, she wont bother you again.

how long have you been riding for???

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ijjkg1-ou4"]YouTube - Girl falls of motorbike[/ame]

Oh yeah... ALWAYS hang on....

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

you mean like this D-bag? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UflG57JRdE"]YouTube - Dont wheelie with ur girlfriend![/ame]

I haven't been riding long, almost a year. I pretty much just want to take her on short rides every now and then so she gives me a break from the nagging. Maybe next year I can take her out more often.

haha, we posted that at the same time
              Last edited by sharpie6; 03-30-2009, 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Let's go riding!

Comment

My wifes been riding with me off and on for almost 23 years now. One thing I do that seems to make it easier for her is, I wear a wide web belt and keep it loose enough for her to hang onto with both hands. With the belt she doesn't have to crowd me on the seat trying to reach around my waist. She can just reach down at my sides and hold onto the belt, which also helps her keep in sync with me when I lean into the corners. In stop and go traffic, she sometimes reaches behind her with one hand to hold the grabrail to keep from pushing me into the tank. I have ridden around with her so much that I can actually complete everything on the DMV riders skills course with her on the back except for possibly the cone weave. Low speeds (under 15mph) are really the main time you will notice the extra weight on the back, unless she tries to stay up straight while you're trying to turn, but she'll get used to it fairly quicky I imagine. You might need to add some preload to the rear shock with the extra weight, and make sure your tires are up to propper pressure. If they're a little low riding solo, you might not notice it, but once you add another 100+ lbs worth of passenger, you will.
                Last edited by Psycho1; 03-30-2009, 11:31 PM.
                John,
                '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                sigpic

Comment

First , tighten your shock . Works WONDERS .
                  Next , if it's a "sporty" ride , see if she can put her arms around you and rest them on the tank . RADICALLY effects how the bike steers . I tried this approach last fall with a girl , and was AMAZED at the difference !
                  I like to give them a "hold on" tap or squeeze on the knee if I'm gonna pass a car or otherwise do something that COULD catch them off guard .
                  I try to make sure they know " I control the bike , not YOU . Your job is to sit there & look pretty , wave to other bikes for me , and TRY to trust me" .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Have a look at this thread.....

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                    and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

This has been covered before.

Tok

Comment

I was told to tie a pair of 50 lb bags of sand to each side of the bike to get the feel for what it is going to be like and speaking from someone who has literally fell off the back of a bike, (many yrs ago) make sure to have the communication between you two down so that you both understand whats going on! Wish you luck and hope she enjoys.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        Your job is to sit there & look pretty , wave to other bikes for me , and TRY to trust me" .
                        Haha, I love it.

Thanks for all tips everyone!
                        Let's go riding!

Comment

from what i remember from experience and reading is that first off you need to make sure they are protected(gear). then you set the bike for 2up.

make sure you have proper pressure in tires or it will feel as if you are riding on sludge.

let her get on after you have already started the bike using your shoulder as a hand point and stepping up on YOUR peg to go over the pillion seat where she would set onto her pegs.

she has to use her knees to hold on to your hips as it will help her lean with your body. her hands should go around your waist to rest on the tank or holding on the the grab bar behind her. this makes it so less of the passenger movements transfer into you and thus transfering into the bikes controls.

your goal is to make the transition from stop to go and go to stop as if it never happened(smoothness on clutch and throttle)

BIG TIP: Your first time 2 up should be with someone who has ridden or currently does. that way when you are making jerky movements not being used to the extra weight they wont get mad/scared and yell at you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            Communication is key here. This is not a complete list, but things you both should know/do.

Tell your rider the following.

Always ask before mounting or unmounting the bike.

Keep your feet on the passenger pegs at all times unless you have notified the rider your getting off.

"lean" with the rider. Not more than or less than. Good start would be to have them place arms around you so that they move with you and get an understanding of this at low speeds first.

Don't twist around, look behind, lean over, etc when moving. Thier movement will effect the bikes movement.

Relax, they won't fall of the bike (and accordingly, don't be horsing around, use smooth starts and stops to build up their trust of the situation)

Work out your own hand signals incase noise prevents vocal comunication. Taps on the shoulder or knee, hand gestures, or other ways to communicate things like stop, hold on, bathroom break, so on.

Those are some tips... I'm sure I forgetting a few things.

Krey

Comment

Nipples to shoulder blades Don't loose your concentration though.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X