X

Be prepared to stop

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be prepared to stop

Ok, Saturday morning I'm cruising down the highway at about 90mph. I'm always alert and ready, and prepared for anything in the 2, 4 and 12 second ranges.

There is a car in front of me that is passing an 18 wheeler to his right. We're the only two cars for a mile or two. I'm following behind him at a safe distance. He gets about half way along the 18 wheeler and then slams on his brakes, in order to take the exit coming up. He didn't look in his mirrors or anything, I had no warning. I'm shocked that he didn't lock up all four wheels on his car. I think he was going to try and pass the truck and then get over and exit. He realized he wouldn't make it and so he slams on the brakes in that little Honda to get over. I mean 90mph to about 20 mph in a blink. I had to brake EXTREMELY hard and fast. This was no big deal, but I was furious at the moron. He could have killed someone in a car or on a bike, he could have killed me.

What I'm trying to get at here is this. Never let your guard down, ever!!! This was a quiet, early Sunday morning with no traffic and no cars. You just never know what the morons around you will do.

If you're going to ride at certain speeds, then you better be able to stop quickly from those speeds. It doesn't matter how fast it is. I like to ride fast at times Because of this, since day one of riding, I have practiced emergency braking from those speeds that I ride. I started at slow speeds and worked my way on up to speeds that are well above the century mark. I have practiced this many, many times on both bikes. I was prepared for this. I didn't panic, didn't lock up the brakes, didn't do anything out of the ordinary other than stop very quickly. When you practice something over and over it becomes automatic or second nature.

So, next time you go out on a ride, find some road with no cars and practice your emergency braking. Do this regularly from faster and faster speeds until you have practiced at all the normal speeds that you ride.

It is easy to pin a throttle and go fast, but can you stop NOW from those speeds without locking up your brakes or losing control. This is a very important exercise that should be practiced regularly, your life may depend on it.

Please practice this, start slow and gradually increase your speeds as you get comfortable. If I hadn't prepared myself for this by doing this MANY times, I probably would have ate the a$$ end of a Honda this morning
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Phew! Nice escape. Saturday morning I would have been nursing a hangover and too busy yawning and scoping out the beachside skirt. Great advice. Practice until you can almost hear the front tyre screaming.

Comment

I practice a quick stop several times on almost every ride.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That crap happens around here all the time... usually from minivans.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah, I got my lesson the other day not to get complacent. Coming through the main artery of the pkg lot at my job ( i was asked to run an errand for one of my mgrs...deli lol) admittedly I was coming through briskly (1st mistake) whaen a minivan darts out from one of the side aisles...as luck would have it this all happened on a recently scrubbed part of the roadway and was still wet! Locked the rear but kept it going nicely, even though it stepped out to the right a bit...I was geared up so it was just concern for the bike going through my head!!

the best part....we ended up parking right near each other and she walked right past me, never knowing anything happened!!!
          ----------------------------------
          1992 GSX600f
          1976 Z400

www.cityriders.weebly.com

Comment

Glad that you were prepared for it. I accepted a long time ago that the stupidest possible thing that a driver can do is probably gonna happen right in front of me every time I leave the house. +100 on NEVER letting your guard down.
            sigpic
            1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

If you ride fast learn to stop fast!Before I took the MSF course I asked a friend what are important things to learn. Stopping fast and learning stop and go on big inclines.
              sigpic

RIP CP
              50th Anniv R6
              95 Katana 600
              http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

Stopping fast is tricky for me, I had to do it the other day and locked the rear and stepped it out a bit. good call on practicing, I'm going to do that.
                Originally posted by katanawarrior
                I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

A lot of people in michigan seem to drive by the 100% rule 100% gas, then 100% brake. Emergency braking becomes second nature. And in the last two months I don't think anyone was expecting to see motorcycles, I don't know how many times someone tried to put me in a median, pinch me between cars and stop in front of me. I guess its just good practice for the rest of the year!

I also practice fast stops often. And in a local parking lot I practice hard braking in a lean. Good practice. People may look at ya funny stoppin and goin in a parking lot, but much better than having them lookin at ya funny layin in a pile on the side of the road.
                  Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                    If you're going to ride at certain speeds, then you better be able to stop quickly from those speeds.
                    Amen to that brother Zepp.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Always a good idea to pratace panic stops, but don`t forget to keep an eye out for what`s behind you when you do it. If need be you have to beable to avoid the guy behind you that isn`t paying attention.
                      Kyle

Comment

Good advice, Zepp.
                        02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                        90 GSXR 750/1216
                        96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                        87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post

So, next time you go out on a ride, find some road with no cars and practice your emergency braking. Do this regularly from faster and faster speeds until you have practiced at all the normal speeds that you ride.

It is easy to pin a throttle and go fast, but can you stop NOW from those speeds without locking up your brakes or losing control. This is a very important exercise that should be practiced regularly, your life may depend on it.
                          This is something I adopted recently and thankful I have. I was previously riding on a 1981 GS850L and I could pull the front brake lever to the grip and keep great control in braking. I got the Kat, and that would have killed me. I started to practice emergency stopping while using the front and rear brake together and now I am ready for, hopefully anything.

I was riding with a friend, he was 16, and I saw a cow wander onto the straight stretch, I braked fairly easy but slowed fairly quick then I heard skidding? I thought it was me for a second but then I saw my buddy go zipping by me with the rear wheel locked up! He missed the cow ok, but him and I will be working on emergency braking this spring. I am glad he didn't hit me from behind, I wasn't watching my mirrors as I was braking, something else to add to my habits. Bikes do stop quicker than anything else on the road.

J

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                            Always a good idea to pratace panic stops, but don`t forget to keep an eye out for what`s behind you when you do it. If need be you have to beable to avoid the guy behind you that isn`t paying attention.
                            Yea then its practice your panic stops, panic starts all at the same time

Comment

I think we've all had moments like this where some bluehair tries to make an exit and can't. Glad to hear you're OK, nonetheless.
                              -
                              -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X