X

Windy day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windy day

I was out riding today and the wind was blowing my bike around..a couple times felt like it was gonna push me over. Any advice?? I didnt feel very comfy out there
    99 Katana 600-Sold
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 600-my new baby

relax your arms and hands on the bars.. sometimes i get the same way.. even when i know what the problem is.. long as you dont have rain to mix with it.. your good..

Comment

I was riding in 50-60 mph gusts just last Sunday. Lucky me though most came from behind so I didn't take much side. If you are taking the brunt right to your side know the gyroscopic effect of your wheels will keep you upright, just slow down enough to stay in one lane if necessary. I always minimize surface area by tucking as low as I can. Ditto on the relaxing of the arms. I know your first instinct is to hold on for dear life but that just transfers the movement of the wind pushing against you into the steering column.
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

+1 for just relax on the bike. When I'm riding in gusty side winds I just keep my eyes focused where I want to go and let the bike naturally lean on it's own with the wind gusts. If you're riding tense, the bike can't float back and forth as smoothly, making it wander more side to side.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

Ya it was alot of side blasts today. On sunday it was my first time in a group and we were on some twisty roads and it felt sometimes I couldnt turn cause i was getting blown or maybe I just wasnt leaning enough. Anyways thanx for the advice guys I will try relax more.
          99 Katana 600-Sold
          2007 Kawasaki ZZR 600-my new baby

Comment

It has felt good, but REALLY gusty here, too. It's an eerie feeling when you are getting on an on-ramp and the wind is trying to blow you into interstate traffic coming around the turn!

Comment

Knock yourself out .....
              Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

if you on the freeway move the right lane and slow down. the last time i had to deal with the wind i found a nice comfy spot behind a tractor trailer. i felt like an arse going at 50mph. but at least i was not a dead arse

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                  +1 for just relax on the bike. When I'm riding in gusty side winds I just keep my eyes focused where I want to go and let the bike naturally lean on it's own with the wind gusts. If you're riding tense, the bike can't float back and forth as smoothly, making it wander more side to side.
                  Excellent advice, Sprague! I learned to do the same on my 250cc Kawasaki (before getting my '06 kat). I don't find the Kat wanders at all, it just seems to lean automatically into the gusts--almost feels like it "squirms" under me. The only time I remember having any trouble the wind was running over 60mph, and there were branches the size of my leg flying horizontally through the air. (I didn't stay out long that day!)
                  High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                  X