X

Getting discouraged

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting discouraged

Agh, so I signed up for that MSF course, which will be in about a week, but I just don't see how someone can learn to ride in three days and pass the test like that. So I've been trying to prep myself on my own with a few friends, but they're deadbeats and they have no patience to try to help me so I m pretty much left up to it on my own. In fact, theyve pretty much told me to just try it on my own. I just can't get the handle on starting off on the throttle, accelerating smoothly and turning as well as stopping cleanly. And forget starting on a hill be it up or down--too scared. My right hand sucks as far as control (maybe cause I'm left handed?). I'm 6' 2" and I'm using the 600cc Kat, so it shouldnt be too big or small for me right? What the hell is wrong with me, in my mind, I feel this shouldn't be too hard and it's getting fustrating.

practice, practice... go to a parking lot. and just try it. i learned on a dirt bike, then and endro. then moved up to a rocket, and had to learn how to stear the bike. but take your time and practice. when you feel comfortable at one thing go onto the the next. take it slow and at your speed. you will be the only one who knows how you are feeling. i havr to admit that rockets are not the easy bike to learn on if you have not ever ridden. but youll get it and it will become second nature. just keep at it. and good luck.....

Comment

Practice like Derrikd said...

If it's any comfort, I'm left handed too, and at 6'3, i know how you must feel..

My driving school supplied the bikes for our 21 hours of practice time (in Quebec, you do the course with a driving school and the test at the DMV)

The bikes they gave us were NightHawks 450's. And honnestly, I think it was better to start basic manoeuvers sitting straight up on a bike like the nighthawk rather than a bike where you lean forward. But that's just me...

Good luck, and be patient, remember that you learned to walk before you started running. And remember, baby steps...

Aramis

Comment

The MSF does somewhat teach you how to ride (I went never sitting on a motorcycle before), but more importantly, they teach you the theories to learn how to ride better. Great Course!

Comment

scott, if you can drive a manual car, you can ride a bike, just think of your right and left hands as your feet, when the clutch is in the throttle is off, and just smoooth transistion, if you get all choppy or nervus just think of your feet and do it nice and smoth, dont worry they will show you in the msf and youll be in great shape, dont get discuraged beacuse you have your whole life a head of you to get better, no one is perfect no one is a perfect rider so you just gottabe the best you canbe !!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the support guys. I think part of the problem is my house. My driveway scares the crap out of me (the garage door faces sideways from the driveway, then the driveway swoops downhill 45 degrees). And my street is one huge hill with me on the top. So getting my bike out, turning it sideways and rolling down the driveway and left onto the downward hill is a pain in the ass in itself. I tried taking it out today but gave up at the end of the street and just rode it up and down for about a half hour till I gave up.
            The other problem is the choke on my bike is out of order so I have to pull start it with a ziptie on the release button by the left fairing and push it back in once the bike warms up or it'll cut off. Dont know much about bikes, but it works for now.
            Its like I'm making dumb mistakes and I know what I'm doing wrong and I'm pissed at myself because I learned so quick on a car manually so I figured this wouldnt be that hard; or least thats what my friends said. Then after seeing me, he said I should have bought a scooter.

Comment

go to barns and nobles and get this book its called sport riding techniques..... by nick ienatsch

picked it up b4 i went to vegas and ITS A GREAT BOOK!!!

Comment

that book is ok.. I would pick up proficent motorcycling... actualyl check the library they might have it.. mine did. I also preferred twist of the wrist to sport riding techniques.

THe MSf willteach you boat loads.. the beginner class goes fom the parts on the biek and the controls to riding.. they take it slow and progress when everyone is ready. Start from how to use the clutch to riding..
                Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

when I took the msf course I had ne'er riden a bike and I didn't e'en know how to drive standard - and at the end of the weekend I had my licence. it's a lot of information to learn in one weekend (I don't know how yours is - but ours is one lecture night and then two days outside) but it's doable.
                  and the fact that you already know what does what on the bike makes you steps ahead of others (like me when I took the course) who have no idea what is what (I didn't e'en know what a clutch did when I took it).
                  - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Ok today I started slow. My friend came over on his scooter, and I rode it instead of mine. We got around to the shore in about a 15 minutes I was on the scooter the whole time. They kicked us out because I dint have a park pass, so we rode for another 15 minutes to another town with a parking lot by the shore. That one was too crowded, so I rode again for another 20 minutes on the scooter to a big parking lot by a park by the water. One time a lady got fustrated and went into the opposit lane to get in fron of me but it was okay. Once we got to the parking lot, I practiced on the bike for about a hour and learned to shift up to third and brake correctly. I also tried leaning a little making small turns and stuff. ANd also pretended to take off on a hill a couple of times. My shifting is still a bit jerky, but It got a little better. My friend couldnt stanthe Katana's seat (he's shorter than me), so I rode it back for about half an hour. I got used to downshifting before the light, and taking off from first and what not. Still, short tight turns is a bit tricky for me, I used my feet a little when I got nervous. So thanks for the encouragment guys, otherwise I think I would have given up.

Comment

glad that you are haveing a better time at it

Comment

Buy an R1 - they're great learning bikes.

Awwwww just kidding. I just wanted to get everyone going.

Practice, practice then practice some more..oh and wear your gear of course

Good luck

PS: I can't drive a stick shift
                        Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

You'll do fine, you're farther ahead than most who take the course, and pass.
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Re: Getting discouraged

Originally posted by Scott
                            What the hell is wrong with me, in my mind, I feel this shouldn't be too hard and it's getting fustrating.
                            Scott, you're not saying anything that we all haven't (and sometimes still do) said. All I can say is you're doing the right thing. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!! Half the battle is knowing what you can and can't do and having the practical sense to know the difference. If it takes you a year to really get a feel for the bike, that's cool. The reason we say take it slow and try not to get too frustrated is because all the things that you're learning to do have to become second nature. The only thing I can say is keep practicing. Find a favorite parking lot (not Kellen Winslow's) and call it home. Don't give into the pressure to keep up with the Jones's, just learn at your own pace and you'll be fine. Don't give up. All the aggrevation is well worth it! :P
                            sigpic

Comment

"Buy an R1 - they're great learning bikes."...

And don't listen to Batgirl.... she's got issues. :P
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X