X
X

Getting discouraged

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personally i never considered the Kat to be particulary good at low speed handling. Not compared to say a CB500 or GS500.
    But all in all it just comes down to experience, the more you ride the better you get at the rutine stuff.

You're already well on your way to becoming much better, i mean you had to go through three parking lots just to get one you could pratice on.
    With that kind of determination you'll be out riding comfortably with your friends in no time
    and probably showing them some rear wheel before they know what hit them hehe

[edit] btw: don't hit anything, and uhm ride safe too [/edit]
    -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

Don't get worried too much. The Kat is much more difficult to learn on than the bikes they'll have you use in the MSF class. Those things were so easy to ride it was really not an issue. They don't have the power, weight, or high seating position that the kat does. The bikes they use are seriously easy to ride all be it a bit cramped(I'm 6'2). I had a 250 nighthawk and also rode a 125 Kawasaki Eliminator. It was actually kind of fun driving these little bikes around. Definately a confidence builder. Anywhoo just relax and take it easy when learning and don't get too frustrated and most of all have fun.
      92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

Comment

Thanks again guys. On the way to a barbeque later, our other friend rode with us (CBR 954), and he was ahead of me at a stop sign, and for some reason, I grabbed the clutch but let go too fast I think and lost control for a bit. I was going real slow but the bike wobbled and leaned to the left and I almost collided with him. I put my feet out and leaned the bike to the right and nearly downed it but I grabbed it with my arms and prevented it. He even tried to grab me. He was pretty shocked it didnt fall over and although i was going so slow, it happened real fast; wierd. Other than that, I didnt have too much problems. Just shifting is real sloppy, as well as downshifting to 1st before the red light.
        I rode the bike home by myself and now I have a headache from all the stress today so I hope it was worth it.

Comment

You're gonna be fine. Keep your head up. They start extremely basic and you get a lot of practice just using the clutch. The bikes you'll most likely be using will be a lot easier to start, stop, and handle than a Katana. Also, the course isn't very hard to pass. As long as you try, you'll get through it easily. Take note of the drills they do (especially the ones you have difficulty with) and practice them on your Katana when you've passed the class. I got a 100% on the written test and only lost a few on the riding test coming in with no experience.

Comment

Try to avoid downshifting into 1st. In the MSF course, they wanted us to begin stopping in 2nd gear, downshift to 1st but don't release the clutch. Use both brakes and keep the bike in 1st gear until you're ready to go. I was in the habit of putting my car in neutral, so it made me want to put my bike in neutral as well, but it's good to keep the bike in 1st in case someone comes up too quickly behind you and you have to avoid them.

Comment

Scott -

Don't worry about what you can do on your own at this point. When you get to the MSF they will start with classroom theory, then work their way out to the riding area. They start slow, as in, "This is a motorcycle." You'll get a little bike that is short and light. There are teaching methods that they use to get you up and running in no time. By the end of the second day you'll be up and running. By the time you take your test you will have had PLENTY of time to practice the techniques necessary to pass. In my class, several of the riders had never been on a motorcycle and were riding at the end of the second day.

By the way, I'm a lefty too. The left/right coordination problems will go away with a little practice. If you want to practice on your Kat, have a buddy take you and your bike to an empty parking lot. Practice smooth clutch engagements and stopping (using both brakes), and in a straight line. Use your feet to "duck walk" the bike around for another start. Find out where the friction zone is (letting out enough clutch to where the motor begins to move the bike) so you can practice smooth starts. Smooth is the name of the game here. Start slow and BE PATIENT. It takes the use of both hands and both feet to effectively ride a motorcycle. DO NOT PLAY IN TRAFFIC YET.

If your buddies are not willing to take you to a parking lot to help, park the bike and wait until the start of the MSF. It's not worth a busted fairing/bike/rider to jump the gun where a little patience will reap bigger rewards in the long run!

You have a long time to ride, and even after the class, there is a ton of stuff you'll learn every day. HANG IN THERE!
              2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Comment

Charliemav just took the msf course a couple weeks ago, and passed,and had never ridden before that except for the few lessons I gave her before the test.

She did great,it really just takes practice. In a vacant parking lot, in front of your house, on the street away from heavily traveled roads where u can practice your cornering and shifting at your own pace.

the MSF is made to teach people who've not ridden before the basics of riding. You'll be amazed at how much learn in a short period of time.

Just pay attention, study, and practice.

Comment

I wouldn't look at being left handed as a disadvantage. It should give you phenomonal clutch control! As with everything, it will get easier with time. Take it slow, and don't push yourself too hard.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Woah! Got caught in the rain today! Came out of nowhere. Not fun

Felt like hundreds of pins and needles

I was soaked through and through. I dropped anchor at my friends house halfway home, and waited for it to stop. I also asked for some clothes to wear and did, even though they were 2 sizes too short lol. I was a little nervous on downhill turns on the damp road though.

Comment

I'm always nervous when it rains! Did you take the course yet? I was reading above and Katastrophe mentions the "duck walk" when I took the class (4 years ago) I was so nervous about the cluch, after an hour of duck walking I couldn't believe how natural clutching felt. Good luck with the class and let us know how it goes.
                      93' 750, I just washed the bugs off, let's go for a ride!

Comment

It took me a few hours in a parking lot to get a grasp on clutching. I just would just stop, go, stop, go, stop, go.

The main thing for me was learning to slowly ease it out that last little bit instead of easing it out and then letting loose.

I don't have trouble with the clutch much at all anymore except the occasional stalled start when I have a passenger. It takes a little more throttle when I have my girl on the back.

Also make sure you start out in 1st gear... I had issues with not going the whole way down to first and would stall out and intersections. Talk about embarrassing.
                        I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                        http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Sometimes it's hard for me to find first gear when I slow to a stop cause that neutral light doesnt seem to wanna kick in all the time. so alot of times, yeah I start off in 2nd. I haven't had anyone as a passenger but this one woman keeps asking me. She's almost 20 years older than me but she's a MILF.

Comment

I had never ridden a bike before I took the MSF course, although I knew how to drive a manual. I took the class, and had a blast although it was a bazillion degrees last summer. 2 weeks later, I bought a used Honda Sabre VT1100 and had a shop make sure it was ride ready. Then I spent about an hour a day in a massive parking lot and about 6 hours on the street. Then I rode from Oklahoma to Montana in 2 days (1400 miles). It scared the hell out of me, but, there is no better way to learn than jumping right into the pool. If you pretend that no one can see you, so you ride defensively, don't get too crazy with the throttle and know your own limits you should be fine.

May the force be with you!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              She's almost 20 years older than me but she's a MILF.
                              Even more reason to learn
                              When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by jpipinich View Post
                                I had never ridden a bike before I took the MSF course, although I knew how to drive a manual. I took the class, and had a blast although it was a bazillion degrees last summer. 2 weeks later, I bought a used Honda Sabre VT1100 and had a shop make sure it was ride ready. Then I spent about an hour a day in a massive parking lot and about 6 hours on the street. Then I rode from Oklahoma to Montana in 2 days (1400 miles). It scared the hell out of me, but, there is no better way to learn than jumping right into the pool. If you pretend that no one can see you, so you ride defensively, don't get too crazy with the throttle and know your own limits you should be fine.

May the force be with you!
                                This thread is SIX GODDAM YEARS OLD!!!!! This guy may have been a newbie then, but he's now got SIX YEARS of riding under his belt. FFS.......
                                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                                X