X

Newb Advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Advice

I have always wanted a bike. Rode one for a few months years ago and I would like to get one now. I am looking at the Katana 750 primarily because it fits me the best size wise. I am about 6'5" so some of the bikes don't really fit me very well. Are there some other bikes you guys might recommend and is a Katana 750 a reasonable first bike?

Katana 750 was my first bike and I don't want to get rid of it. I am 6'2"" 215lbs. It's perfect for me. I am in no way a speed deamon, so I am happy. The Katana does not lack power though. I think you will be happy, but maybe I am just a little biast.

Continue to look around on the site a little more and get a feel of what others have said. Take a look at the members' Ride Prifiles to see what wonderful things can be done to these machines and I think you will agree that this makes a perfect all around bike.

It is very comfortable, especially for us big guys. It carries a passenger comfortably as well. Keep us informed of your decision and feel free to ask ANY of us questions. We will be happy to oblige.

Welcome!!
    Why bother doing anything if you cannot
    "Be All You Can Be."

http://www.myspace.com/kahluamud

Comment

Kats are great all around bikes for beginners and vets. You'd do well either a 600 or 750. There's plenty of bigger guys that ride 600's and love them as well as the 750's. The 98+ 750's riding position is alittle less agressive than the 600's so keep that in mind as well.

But u'd do well w/ either one.

Comment

by less aggressive you mean more upright? I sat on a 750 yesterday and it felt pretty good. Most of the bikes were quite cramped in comparison so for comfort I was looking at the katana. I want a sport bike style bike and this one seems to fit me the best size wise of the ones I have looked at thus far.

Comment

Might i be the first to suggest a MSF refresher course?

Probably a good idea in any case, but if you're going for the 750 a little bit of practise might be good before you start up again

Oh and get some decent gear too
          -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

At that size, a Kat should fit you well. If you haven't ridden much, the MSF course is highly recommended, as is buying an used Kat in cash rather than a new Kat on payments for your first bike (or first 'back to riding' bike). Give it a year and then buy something new if you want

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

MSF is already in the works...believe me. I will probably go new just cuz I have had a bad experience every time I have purchased used and I am pretty particular about how I care for my stuff.

What kind of discounting do most dealers do on bikes? At $6999 MSRP what is reasonable to expect to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by mking7
                What kind of discounting do most dealers do on bikes? At $6999 MSRP what is reasonable to expect to pay?
                Somewhere between 6299 and 6899 out the door. At least that's what I can find them for around here, new.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Got my 2001 brand spanking new in the winter for $5400.00 + tax. They were making room for the 02 bikes and desperate to make a sale. Bike sales tend to slow way down in the cold months here. If you do buy a new bike, purchase the extended warranty. I paid $400.00 for it and it gave me a total of 5 years coverage. (1 yr. factory + 4 years extended)
                  What is your location mking7?

Comment

Woops, I am usually good about putting my location in on forums. I fixed that. I am in Katy, TX which is a suburb of Houston.

Comment

I woudl take the MSF class that would be my suggestion...
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by mking7
                        by less aggressive you mean more upright? I sat on a 750 yesterday and it felt pretty good. Most of the bikes were quite cramped in comparison so for comfort I was looking at the katana. I want a sport bike style bike and this one seems to fit me the best size wise of the ones I have looked at thus far.
                        Yes, its alittle more upright seating position. Its a nice middle ground for having that sportbike feel to it where you lean forward over the tank, but still not too aggressive that it gets uncomfortable on long rides.

Comment

Hello texan mate, go for the 750, i'm about your size and it fits quite well in proportion to my height and weight becasue it's a big bike.
                          Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

The great thing about Kats is that they are 5'6" people friendly. Buy a gixxer and you will need to add the cost of lowering it... that is after you put out more for the bike. The 750 is a good choice

Comment

I think the 750 (which I have) is the best all around bike. You can keep up with almost anyone.
                              Katana 750 2002

Comment

Working...
                              X