Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Very newb question... when to know when to shift?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very newb question... when to know when to shift?

The guide in the manual seems off.
    Shift up to 2 on 12mph, 3 on 19mph, 4 on 25mph, 5 on 31mph, 6 on 37mph.

I should be in 6th by 37mph?... Seems like a lot of shifting to me.

Thanks.

Before the tach gets to the red, haha. It all depends on how much power you want. I would guess I am usually in third up to 33-37 mph if I'm just cruising around. If I had it in 4th and higher, you really have little to no power if you want/need it.
    2002 R1
    Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

you dont get any power on the kat until the higher RPM's. The manual isnt practical at all. You need to judge the engine speed to know when to shift
      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

All bikes are different. You have to go by your instinct and feel. The manual doesn't take into consideration "real-world" riding.
        sigpic

Comment

Where you upshift isn't very important during a typical ride. I'd shift around 4000-5000RPMs just riding around town. You don't necessarily need to be in the powerband for that type of riding. You'll be able to feel if you need to upshift.

Comment

Depends on what i am looking for.. I do a shift before redline if i want power or around 5k is i am cruising
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I really do putter around at 35 in 6th..... when I'm trying to creap past the po-lice unnoticed. (never happens)
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I was under the impression that those shifting points in the book are the absolute minumums, not necesarily when you are supposed to shift.

Comment

bro, dont shift until you hit the redline, .....works for me lol

Comment

Whatever personal shift points you choose, base them on rpms not mph

Comment

I listen to the engine and shift when I think I should shift. If the engine sounds like it's revving a little I shift. Works for me. And I'm a newb at this...You'll know when you have to shift...Especially if you have driven a car that's manuel transmission.
                      KARA

I'm a whole lotta woman, but a whole lotta fun!

Comment

i usually keep the bike at 5-6K rpm in town and just vary the gears to match appropriate speed.

when i hit open country road it's clutchless mayhem on the redline

Well sometimes it is... When i'm feeling

Problem is that the roads around here are in really bad nick and places where you can let off some steam safely are scarse.
                        Though with a bit of scouting ahead of time it can be done hehe

Personally i just like riding on the powerband, since it gives me instant response if i need to get out of a tricky situation (drunk trucker trying to rearend me, overtaking mad cagers swerwing all over the place etc.)

Maybe with a bit more experience i'll get a more settled riding style, but for now this works for me

(90' Kat 600)
                        -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

I'm with Char. Sure my bike is '05 and only 6,400kms old but taking it easy is going to reduce wear on the internal parts. Call me conservative but my bike has never seen 7,000 rpms, highway included. There is lots of time between then. I watch my rpms and shift under 4,000, makes it better on gas too. When you want power keep it above 5,000.

Comment

Originally posted by newf10
                            I'm with Char. Sure my bike is '05 and only 6,400kms old but taking it easy is going to reduce wear on the internal parts. Call me conservative but my bike has never seen 7,000 rpms, highway included. There is lots of time between then. I watch my rpms and shift under 4,000, makes it better on gas too. When you want power keep it above 5,000.
                            Never seen 7K RPM? Really?! As far as I'm concerned, the bike doesn't even wake up until around 9K. I'm sure somebody here would be glad to buy that thing off you when you're done with it, though!
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

That kats don't hit there tourqe till about 6 or 7 grand. If i am cruzing about 35mph, I am usually in second... maybe 3rd. Don't be afraid to rev the engine a bit. You don't even hit redline till like 11k!
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X