X

chain wax on tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain wax on tire

I learned something yesterday, be more careful when waxing chain. I lovingly cleaned and waxed my chain yesterday, and left for work about an hour later. While pulling out of my neighborhood I almost low-sided making a slow right turn when trhe rear wheel lost traction and slid out from under me. I was fortunate to only be going about 5mph at the time but it made me realize that I should have cleaned the overspray. I was able to get a foot down and kick up off the ground to pull it back upright. My butt was puckered for a couple hours afterwards but everything was fine. Thought I would share the experience.
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
    RIP Marc

well at least it happened while you were going slow. That could have been bad.
    sigpic

Comment

That's almost as bad as putting ArmourAll on your seat.

Comment

Yes. That knee-jerk kick to the pavement has pulled me back up a time or two. It goes without saying that if you have any wax or even spray residue in your driveway, it can cause more tire slippage if you ride through it again. And speaking of slipping, am I the only one who finds the thick, white paint used on the pavement at crosswalks and intersections to be slick as greased owl spit, especially on boot heels? It's a jungle out there!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by erok011 View Post
          My butt was puckered for a couple hours afterwards but everything was fine.
          lol i love that saying!!

glad you're alright =) live and learn... most importantly, live.
          the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
          # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
          [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Wait , you were turning right ? How did you get chain wax on the RIGHT side of your tire ? You musta been sprayin that crap EVERYWHERE ......
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

He was waxing the chain in the bike next to his Kat, then got on the Kat to leave. Get with the program.
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                am I the only one who finds the thick, white paint used on the pavement at crosswalks and intersections to be slick as greased owl spit, especially on boot heels? It's a jungle out there!
                No sir.

I've slid through several dangerous intersections, at 5mph because of those suckers.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yep Their Slick! Especially when their a little wet.
                  Currently Riding:
                  1995 Katana 600
                  V&H Exhaust
                  Jet Kit

SOLD
                  2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                  1987 XV700 Bobber
                  REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

The only two places I'll spray the chain, are the very back of the rear sprocket, this way over spray will be on the sprocket carrier or in the air. And the space in between the rear wheel and the center stand, using newspaper or cardboard to catch the excess.
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

yep...i have done the same thing after waxing my chain...got it all off my tire..but didnt think to wash it off the driveway...so when i pulled out...got it back on the tire and about lost itwhen turning out of my driveway
                      sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                      k9 GSX-R 600
                      GO VOLS!

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        Wait , you were turning right ? How did you get chain wax on the RIGHT side of your tire ? You musta been sprayin that crap EVERYWHERE ......
                        been trying to figure that out myself. it seemed the majority of the residue was on the left side of the tire, but i must have made a mess. I thought I was careful but sometimes i'm kinda dumb.
                        May the road rise up to meet you.
                        May the wind always be at your back.
                        May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                        and rains fall soft upon your fields.
                        And until we meet again,
                        May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
                        RIP Marc

Comment

Don't you got those little nozzle tubes you can stick in to direct the flow better????

Comment

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
                            Don't you got those little nozzle tubes you can stick in to direct the flow better????
                            Yeah , but even so , how do you get it on the RIGHT side of the tire ?
                            Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                            The only two places I'll spray the chain, are the very back of the rear sprocket, this way over spray will be on the sprocket carrier or in the air. And the space in between the rear wheel and the center stand, using newspaper or cardboard to catch the excess.
                            You SHOULD spray the inner run , so when it flings , it spreads outward . If you spary on the outside , it just flies strgith off . And if you do BOTH , well , you're using way too much and wasting a good bit .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

With wax, better to do it after a ride when the chain is hot, rather than before a ride. The wax stays in a liquid form longer to penetrate the chain.

My 2c.

Comment

Working...
                              X