X

Request for lessons learned from wrecks (or "thread of shame") sticky

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dennis Wilson View Post
    Sorry dude....it was the thought of messin' around with Slim that screwed me up...

HEY, Jack, Dontcha know?...

(Did I just hear a hush come over the pool room?)
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
      HEY, Jack, Dontcha know?...

(Did I just hear a hush come over the pool room?)
      WHAT!!??!?!!???? Inquiring minds wanna know!!

My Lesson learned: My first drop in 22 years and dangit if it wasn't for the same stupid mistake I made way back when. Look where you're going, not where you are.
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

[quote=KatriderJim;1596929]WHAT!!??!?!!???? Inquiring minds wanna know!!

Here's what I know...hope it helps. (the scene was 42nd street)

As I remember the scene, what happened that day was that when Jimmy came boppin' in off the street, well, a hush fell over the pool room. And then when the cuttin' was done, the only thing that wasn't bloody was the soles of the big man's feet. It looked to us that he was cut in about a hundred places and he was shot in a couple more.

Then, we, not knowing any better in the first place, sung a different kind of story when Big Jim hit the floor, uh huh. Most of us who were there as well as those who just heard the story (Dennis Wilson, Jack, and StevieB), well, we just don't mess around with Slim. See, the guy's name was Willie McCoy, but apparently back in his home town, they just called him Slim. So I'd also advise against messin' around with Slim.

"Don't mess around with Slim."
        -Croche
        Last edited by zuma; 11-24-2008, 04:05 PM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

i had no idea that song was actually about something
          May the road rise up to meet you.
          May the wind always be at your back.
          May the sun shine warm upon your face,
          and rains fall soft upon your fields.
          And until we meet again,
          May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
          RIP Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Wilson View Post
            3) and for the love of God....don't mess around with Slim!
            - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

First incident...

New rider (less than 6 months), nice quiet sunday morning around noon. Riding down a 2 lane just outside town doing the speed limit. On approaching a gently sweeping left hand turn that has a road entrance in the curve I see a boat of a caddy (mustard yellow around 77 model) pull and stop half way into my lane. Fixated on the idiot in the caddy, didn't see the car that was well infront of me stop to make a left turn after that curve. Swung out and back in my lane realizing I should have just stopped.... and when over the top of the car did a flip mid air and landed sitting indian style.

Tank had a huge dent in the tank and yes.. that hurt.. for days.. fortunately, no other injuries.

Bike was totaled, so I paid 1200 out of pocket on top of the insurance payout, and fixed it back new. (yea for new bike insurance and not having made many payments yet.)

1. Watch where your going, not what your passing.
              2. Slow down and stop if you possibly can when you think there is gonna be trouble.
              3. Don't clinch your legs around the bike if you are gonna rear end a car...

Next incident...

About 2 years later go out one night cuising and run into some other guys on bikes. One of them was a bit of a hot rod (made me nervous) but kept his "tricks" out infront of the parking lot on the road when there was no traffick. Against my better judgement, ended up making plans to go for a ride with a few of those guys (including the idiot) even though I didn't know them well.

Next morning met up at a local resturant with the idiot. He tells me no one else could make it (Huge second sign I should have picked up on!) and that he needed to talk to the ex in the resturant real quick.

That turned into a 30 min argument. So I tell the guy I'm gonna go down to Wendy's, meet me there if ya wanna ride. Start putting my gear on and he runs out, says "I'm gonna get a pack of cig across the street and brb, then we can leave." Jumps on his bike, pops a wheelie across the parking lot, crosses the street on both wheels, and runs into the store.

Finish putting my gear on, ease up to the road to pull out, look left, look right, look left, look right, just start to ease out the clutch (bike still hasn't moved) and WHAM.... the idiot slams into me head on from strait across the street....

Moral of that story... Don't ride with idiots....

Oh, and trust your instincts. If something seems wrong, it most likely is.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Years ago when I had my Viffer, going along the highway with a friend on the back. Coming up to a red light and I decided to change lanes from the passing to the slow lane. There were cars stopped at the lights, as I changed lanes while braking the front wheel hit a patch of oil leaked out buy a car and before I knew it me and my friend were sliding along the highway towards the rear bumper of the car stopped waiting at the light. When the sliding and grinding of my muffler stopped I could reach up and touch the rear bumper of the car. We were wearing leathers so I can attest that leather does work when sliding about 25 feet on asphalt. So the lesson I learned is watch for oil patches around traffic lights or anywhere cars sit idling for a little while, gas stations are another good place for oil and fuel spills. Also always wear your gear!
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

All I can say is SAND!!!! A one word Lesson in my book. And I learned it quick
                  sigpic
                  Update Jul 11 2014
                  Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

ok here is mine.

was riding one of the less maintained canyon roads near me, and I am rather... spirited. well I caught up to a couple cagers and backed off because there is no where to pass, so i'm just cruising now and for some reason my brain kind of shut off. i got tunnel vision and came up to a corner and started to look through it but apparently not enough because my brain immediately went CRASH AVOIDANCE - BRAKE NOW! Well instincts be damned it didnt save me from scraping the side of a mountain wall. I broke my mirror off scratched up my plastics and mounting tabs and can. ****ed up my right arm because i was only wearing a sweatshirt. Slammed my knee into the sidewall when i finally stopped. and of course some guy to my left who was walking his dog saw the whole thing so add embarassment factor.

Came back a couple weeks later to assess better the corner and how i messed up.

I saw that i had in fact been at the very end of the corner when i scraped.

Luckily I was still able to ride back to my house where I had my dad drive me to the hospital to get my arm cleaned up.

Things learned:
                    1) avoid tunnel vision
                    2) get to know your roads before any spirited rides
                    3) road rash sucks even worse when you clean it. (great deterent for being stupid)
                    4) look where you want to go (i could have easily made that turn had i slowed then looked into the turn and leaned.)
                    5) a protective jacket is a must (i went out the next day during my lunch break and bought one for peace of mind)
                    6) never ride that shoddily maintained road again due to all the cracks and bumps from tree roots growing under the road.
                    Last edited by ADyingBreed; 01-15-2009, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prokart53 View Post
                      I've only had 3 accidents and all of them at less than 1mph. I'm also short but big enough to admit it.

The first was in my garage I stopped the bike and placed my foot on a piece of paper. It's amazing how fast that will make you go down.

The second was on the interstate in heavy rush hour traffic. I had to stop due to everyone else stopping but I was on a banked left hand curve. I went to put my left foot down when I noticed that the pavement was 2 inches lower on the left side of my bike than it was on the right. I didn't go all the way down but I had to do that silly one footed hop thing to get the bike back up. I'm sure the cars behind and beside me had a good laugh.

The third was in the parking lot at work. I pulled in to the parking spot making a right hand turn. The lot had a minor incline with the left side being lower than the right. Learning from my previous mistake I placed my right foot down. Problem was I had my bars turned to the right and when I hit the brake to make the final stop the bike lunged to the left kinda like a slow motion highside. I let off the front brake and shifted my weight to the right to counter it and the bike dropped to the right. I manged to guide it down so no damage at all not even a scratch. I popped up hit the kill switch, and looked around to see if I was gonna have to make the walk of shame into the office or not. Luckily the only person to see me was the guy cutting the grass. I waved and he shook his head.

Moral of the story... When stopping make sure you put your feet down and know where you are putting them.
                      Been in the same boat. I hate uneven ground
                      Let's go riding!

Comment

Working...
                      X