Question about bikes and surroundings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about bikes and surroundings

Hey guys,
    First post lol. Well, it has come time for me and I am getting bit by the bike bug. I have been saving for 3 years and finally have enough money to get a Katana. (I'm 21, have 2 pretty reliable vehicles one for summer one for winter, full time job in health care, and am going to school). I talked to my dad about this, and he said every time I go out, he will be worried about me, not because I am a bad driver or anything, just because of the people around you. How do you guys handle the idiots on the rode in the "cage"? Especially young teenage girls :S Any tips are greatly appreciated.
    I used to have a TTR 125 so I know a little about the bikes, but am going to take the MSF course though for sure before even getting the bike. The bike I will most likely get is my girlfriends uncles which is a 98 Katana 750 with about 4k on the clock.
    Thanks for the information guys
    Bill

Just keep your eyes open and always drive like someone IS going to attack you.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Always ride like you are invisible to everyone else on the road. Because, basically you are. And if you wanna do wheelies and stoppies, DON'T DO THEM ON THE STREET. Besides, the Kats are very heavy and coming down from a wheelie can damage your suspension.

Oh yeah, WEAR PROPER GEAR. Most of all, have fun and welcome to Katrider's.
      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
      BMC Notorious 918 HT
      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

ride your own ride. Do not ride above your limits. Although there are plenty of idiots out there. Most accidents involving bikes are caused by poor decisions made by the rider.

oh yeah..welcome to KR.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

As CenCalKat said:
          Always ride like you are invisible to everyone else on the road. Because, basically you are.

Good advice.

Comment

all good advice .. always try to find the open pockets in traffic .. be aware .. when it starts closing in .. of where you are related to those around you .. blind spots for cars are fairly large .. and bikes being so small we easily hide in them .. i personally try to stay where i should be in peoples peripherial vision in those cases .. staying ahead of everyone is perferable .. making sure they all know where you are
            so many roads so little time

Comment

All good advice, just pretend like everyone one on the road is trying to kill you.
              sigpic

My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/twotonevert

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Check your "tweens" ego at the front door. You're riding for yourself, nobody else. Not your buddies, aquantances, strangers, or anyone. Dont let anyone goad you into stupid. While Kat are slow copaired to true sport bikes, 750 Kats are still plenty quick, but dont let someone talk you into proving it. Kats are Sport/Tour skooters, about a foot longer, and 100 pounds heavier than sport bikes.

There is an article here reprinted on the forum called "The Pace" by Nick Ienatsch. Great advice. He also has a book out called "Sport Riding Techniques". Best $25 i ever spent. Great read, easily understandable, and a fantastic job getting his points across for staying alive on the road.

Keep aware always. They really are tryin to kill you, even tho it's not on purpose.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Thanks guys, this is helping Also, I will look into getting that article, I got the other one that most of you recommend called, twist of the wrist, I think?
                    I dont plan on going fast on the bike (Hence why its not a busa or a zx-14 or w/e) I have a car that will go plenty fast enough for me

Comment

If I have to ride next to a cage (try to never be there) I make sure I am at least even with the driver window. I want to be sure they can see me with no effort. Down here in S. Florida it is common practice for cages to change lanes then look over their sholder to see what the may have run over.

Always be aware of what is around you!

Comment

you thats very fast for a first time street rider, there is a world of difference between a 125 TTR and a 750 Kat[handling especially].......most of the girls will want a ride>>> STAY COOL!!! I have seen a couple females passengers get scared and cause the bike to lose control,,could have easily been VEHICULAR HOMICIDE

Comment

Originally posted by starjammir View Post
                          Thanks guys, this is helping Also, I will look into getting that article, I got the other one that most of you recommend called, twist of the wrist, I think?
                          I dont plan on going fast on the bike (Hence why its not a busa or a zx-14 or w/e) I have a car that will go plenty fast enough for me
                          The Busa and ZX-14 do go fast, but that is not the only reason why people purchase them.

You NEED to start on a smaller bike first anyways. I would recommend going smaller than the 750 for your first bike. You will learn the fundamentals much quicker on a smaller bike.

Glad to hear that you're going to take the MSF class. Make sure you wear gear too. It sounds like you have the right attitude to become a good rider.
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with Zepp...... I'd recommend starting on something smaller. Check out a GS500E, or a Ninja 250........

Who knows? Maybe you'll like it so much that you'll turn it into something like this...... http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C0...15819-full.jpg
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Welcome to KR!!! I hope you ride safely enough that we can get to read more of your posts and experiences. Rule #1...... stay focused on what you're doing and what's around you. Rule #2....... refer back to rule #1. Rule #3.... the ashpault's not that forgiving.....refer back to rule #1. Wear gear....refer back to rule #3.
                              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                              ------------------------------------------
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X