No announcement yet.
X

Riding in the winter snow?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my license the same kinda way. It was really nasty day with snow and ice and very cold. The tester walked out to the car slipped and got in. Asked if I drove there, yes I had, asked if I had heat, yes I did. He told me put the heat on high while he had me show him how to work the lights and start the car. The van I was in wouldn't fit in the curb side parking space and I missed a stop sign as it was snowed over. We got back to the start and he asked if I was driving home, yes I was. I passed because I drove there and back in the snow and my mom's van had heat that worked!
    Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

I would be terrified to ride in the snow. I don't even like driving in it and I'm protected by seat belts and tons of metal. Crazy..

Comment

i've never seen anyone drive a motorcycle (street bike at least) in the snow, that's wild dude.

Comment

My dad had a buddy he was telling me about that owned 1 bike and that was it. He rode it rain/shine/snow or anything else you could imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by eviilil0ne View Post
            with the whole inch a year we get here .. i still dont ride if white stuff is falling .. too much chance for ice .. so i park it for a day or two
            Ice is easy to ride on, seriously easy. Gravel is much harder. I never went down once in ice and snow last year, and some seriously F'd up conditions. I did fall this summer on gravel up by Dawson City in the Yukon. Gravel, all marbly like, a 550 lb bike, 200 lbs of luggage, 400 lbs of two up humans, that made for a real butt pucker moment.

Here is my Honda on the top of world hiway.

Last edited by Cruisingram; 09-02-2008, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgust25 View Post
              i've never seen anyone drive a motorcycle (street bike at least) in the snow, that's wild dude.

theres a guy i work with... about 6'7", 130 lbs, almost 30 years old, and still lives with his parents... "that guy" lol... he rides an r6 (its actually pretty nice, even tho he's a douche)... i swear to god tho, every winter... first big snow, we have these huge snow drifts in front of work, and all you'll see is his helmet sticking out above the snow drifts riding by... first time i saw it, i nearly fell over i was laughing so hard... then proceeding to make fun of him for like 3 hours for his "neato" heated chaps, lol

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
              "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by airforceranger49 View Post
                theres a guy i work with... about 6'7", 130 lbs, almost 30 years old, and still lives with his parents... "that guy" lol... he rides an r6 (its actually pretty nice, even tho he's a douche)... i swear to god tho, every winter... first big snow, we have these huge snow drifts in front of work, and all you'll see is his helmet sticking out above the snow drifts riding by... first time i saw it, i nearly fell over i was laughing so hard... then proceeding to make fun of him for like 3 hours for his "neato" heated chaps, lol
                no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                  my bike hits the garage fairly late and sits there. I would not trust myself in snow or ice on the bike. Not only that but I trust the people next to me even less.

Once that first snow flake is seen people for get how to drive......

Comment

First off- have good gear! Losing limbs and fingers or toes is no fun at all!

Then, get some of these:

Crappy pic (I froze my camera, broke the chip or something) , but solid ice I was riding on those days!

Comment

i used to see a guy every morning, day in and day out on his bike. could be the worst weather out and still, there he was. i remember him plowing his way thru a couple 4 inches of fresh snow on a number of occasions. He did have a sidecar in all fairness.
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Hell no!!!

I hate the snow!!!

I am already dreading the fact that in a few weeks fall is gona hit.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

I put the Kat to sleep in mid November and I wake the snowmobile up in December.

Comment

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Not me. My baby is going in the garage at the first sign of snow!
                              [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

I know that winter is inevitable and it means storing bikes for many Katriders. If you find yourself coming south this winter to get back on the road, you're welcome to stay over here in Texas. I have a slightly guilty conscience because I get to ride nearly any day of the year, while others have "riding seasons".

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                                X