X

Riding in the winter snow?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding in the winter snow?

Anyone had and is planning to ride in the winter snow? Of late some weather forecasters are pointing to a colder winter this year...

sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

my bike hits the garage fairly late and sits there. I would not trust myself in snow or ice on the bike. Not only that but I trust the people next to me even less.

Once that first snow flake is seen people for get how to drive......
    I am a Penn State fanatic.
    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Once that first snow flake is seen people for get how to drive......
      ...I always assume people don't know how to drive; keep my survival instant in check whenever I am riding
      sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

I can't imagine even the most experienced rider keeping a bike up in the snow/ice?! surely not...

Comment

Sure- I do it every winter- here is a pic:

Comment

Wow brave man. I assume those are some sort of mud/snow tires? I don't think I'd have the nerve to ride around CA drivers if it snowed here or even where I grew up in Ohio.
            1997 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Well, around here in SE PA, we have a saying:

"instant idiot, just add water."

doesn't mater if its in solid, semi solid, or liquid form, add water to the road and everybody around you seems to become a complete moron.

However, in a funny related story about riding in the snow, many years ago, my buddy Jason had scheduled his MC skills test for some day in early December at the Norristown PA DL Exam center.

Halfway down from Lansdale PA, it started snowing.

by the time he got to the test center, there was over 1" of snow on the ground.

he pulled up to the center, went inside and said "i'm here for the 4PM appointment?"

the examiner got up, went to the door, looked outside, and said "Did you ride down here in that?"

Jason, (looking at the bike in the snow with the tracks behind it) "Yup".

Examiner took his permit, endorsed it to a passed license, and said "i dont think *I* could do that...now get home safe"

Jason rode his Vulcan home thru the snow back to Lansdale with no issues, with his new license.

that was one of the funnier things i've heard about MCs and snow

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

NOW thats how you pass a test!

Comment

Originally posted by stingerbtry View Post
                  Wow brave man. I assume those are some sort of mud/snow tires? I don't think I'd have the nerve to ride around CA drivers if it snowed here or even where I grew up in Ohio.
                  Basically dual sport tires I studded myself, with 11mm car studs. Rode it all winter last winter. Bike does well at -20F!

Comment

I ride in the Winter all the time.

Comment

with the whole inch a year we get here .. i still dont ride if white stuff is falling .. too much chance for ice .. so i park it for a day or two
                      so many roads so little time

Comment

Originally posted by Speedratchet View Post
                        I ride in the Winter all the time.

I have a few choice words for you that I can't say here.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                          Well, around here in SE PA, we have a saying:

"instant idiot, just add water."

doesn't mater if its in solid, semi solid, or liquid form, add water to the road and everybody around you seems to become a complete moron.

However, in a funny related story about riding in the snow, many years ago, my buddy Jason had scheduled his MC skills test for some day in early December at the Norristown PA DL Exam center.

Halfway down from Lansdale PA, it started snowing.

by the time he got to the test center, there was over 1" of snow on the ground.

he pulled up to the center, went inside and said "i'm here for the 4PM appointment?"

the examiner got up, went to the door, looked outside, and said "Did you ride down here in that?"

Jason, (looking at the bike in the snow with the tracks behind it) "Yup".

Examiner took his permit, endorsed it to a passed license, and said "i dont think *I* could do that...now get home safe"

Jason rode his Vulcan home thru the snow back to Lansdale with no issues, with his new license.

that was one of the funnier things i've heard about MCs and snow
                          More impressive is that he didn't lose it in one of the many potholes right outside that DOT station.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I tried the snow once on my old Kawasaki GPz550. I ended up with no mirrors or signal lights on either side of the bike.
                            2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                            2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                            1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                            1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Last year was a pretty mild winter here. My husband was able to ride all but maybe a few days during the winter (I wasn't riding yet).

My bike is my commuter to school. I don't have a parking permit for the car and I did that on purpose. As long as it isn't icy out and I have cold weather gear (which is coming up, it was a cool ride this morning) I am good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X