X

leaning bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaning bike

Why does my bike lean left when I have no hands on the bar?
    Could it be an alignment issue?
    I have no problems otherwise, only when I have no hands.
    Please let me know what u think.
    Thanks.

PS-What I mean by no hands is no hands on the handlebar. I dont drive that way.
    Just every once and a while when Im just about home I will let go for about 5 sec. at slow speeds.
    I do it just for the heck of it. When I do, it seems to want to pull me or lean me left.
    *My rear wheel axle is on the same notch on both sides and the chain seems striaght.* So Im clueless.
    Last edited by 97Kat_seven-fifty; 05-26-2008, 02:10 PM. Reason: clairification

I don't drive with no hands but i find that my 2000 tends to like the left when cruising straight. I just figured there was abnormal wear on the tires or the road surfuce?

Comment

slight crown of the road to make the rain run off to the side possibly?
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

Maybe your left leg is slightly shorter than your right leg and you're actually leaning to the left without realizing it.

Comment

Ride With No Hands????????????????
          sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

out of habit, you may be sitting off center on the seat...since you change gears on the left your knees tend to be at a lower than the right...

Comment

Bent frame??? Rear wheel out of alignment??? Don't trust the marks. Bad fork???

Comment

You're probably leaning to one side more.
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

Unless it is a strong pull I say it is a combination of road condition and seat position. I've noticed something similar, except that it can happen to the right too.
                  -2000 "750"

Comment

If it is to the left, I would bet money, it is not on new tires. Tires tend to wear more on the left than the right because, at least here in the US, left turns are longer than right turns.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I have brand new tires just installed and I still have a very light pull to the left. Its not my seating position or feet position or even the road because I just went out today and made sure I was as straight and even as possible. It must be either a weaker left fork, or bent frame (which I cant see) or a misalignment. I will try to bulid and alignment 2x4 this weekend and start their. Thanks to everyone for ur responses and input.

Comment

is there a stretch of road nearby that you could possibly move over to the opposite side momentarily to see if you suddenly feel the bike leaning to the right? If you move to the other side of the road and it switches, it would most likely just be the crown of the roads, and not the bike.
                        John,
                        sigpic

Comment

I will definately try the other side of the road on a few different roads. I hope thats what it is. However, where I live the right side of the road would slope or crown to the right so why would I be leaning left? I will try the opposite side of the road and post my results but thinking about it, it only seems like I would lean to the left stronger on that side of the road.

Comment

Same problem on anyside of road.

Comment

most roads are higher in the center, and slope downward to the outside edges for runoff. Riding on a crowned road, you are basically sidehilling (on a small scale), and you would be leaning slightly towards the uphill side to keep from drifting off the road. I am always leaning slightly to the left if I'm on my side of the road, to keep from drifting down the crown and going off the road lol. If I cross over to the other side of the road to make a pass, I end up leaning to the right (uphill) to go straight. The roads where i live are crowned quite a bit more than some roads I've been on in other areas.
                              John,
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X