X

how to drive a manual fr speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to drive a manual fr speed?

ive noticed that when i drive my car if i put the rpms high, about 3,000 and up depending on how fast im going, then let the wheels catch up to the rpms it accelerates faster at speed then it would normally. is this the same with a bike and is this bad for a clutch. and basically what im asking is how do i drive my bike for speed i know there is more to it then shifitng at high rpms but i just dont know what.
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

I am having trouble understanding what you are saying, but it sounds like your clutch is slipping. Please try to explain it again.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

please explain in further detail.

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
        basically what im asking is how do i drive my bike for speed
        practice shifting at different points. riding a bike is not like driving a car. no need to compare.

...or go read some sportrider magazines
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

he sounds like he is going to get hurt

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
            ive noticed that when i drive my car if i put the rpms high, about 3,000 and up depending on how fast im going, then let the wheels catch up to the rpms it accelerates faster at speed then it would normally. is this the same with a bike and is this bad for a clutch. and basically what im asking is how do i drive my bike for speed i know there is more to it then shifitng at high rpms but i just dont know what.

lets see what i can gather from this. unlike MC's a cars powerband is in the lower numbers 3-5k on my cavy (since redline is 5.5k if i remember correctly)
            It should have the same effect as shifting your Kat (assuming you are riding a kat) in its powerband (Which I do alot of on my running 600)
            Now if you are hitting the rev limiter then you are going too far, back down the revs a little and then shift. If your car is equipted with a shift light (mine is) it helps some, but it is annoying as hell seeing this little arrow pointing up everytime you up shift. I can base it off of on a stock 03 Cavalier that going a little beyond the shift light igniting gives more power to the car while changing gears
            As Far a clutch damage- I dunno there

Comment

I think what he's saying is that he slips his clutch so he can rev the engine higher than the wheels are spinning so he has more power at slower wheel speed? If that is the case, then yes, I would imagine you are damaging your clutch. As everybody else here said, change your shift points if you are looking for more acceleration.

That being said, I think you are expecting this bike to have more power on tap than it actually does....
              None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
              -Robert Morrison

"
              well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

letting the clutch slip will give you more torque, thats why on auto cars when you put it in "tow" mode the torque converter is unlocked, you can always be in the torque band but the wheels will have a slower rate change. Which is okay for a torque converter, for a clutch you will burn it up. I know some guys who do truck pulls. He is pushing 1k HP out of a cummins turbo diesel and when he slips the clutch he usually gets farther.

Comment

quit comparing cars to bikes and pick up a copy of Sport Riding Techniques
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I've driven a few manual trannies in my day (i mean cars not women) if you rev it higher, you'll get a little more out of each gear....best thing for you to do is experiment with different sgift points....i used to shift my Kat at 4k, because I'm used to driving a Dodge Ram....hit it at different points t see what gets you the best accleration....I usually shift my kat around 6k.....if I'm dogging it, I'll run her up to about 9k

Comment

Originally posted by philwecksr View Post
                      I think what he's saying is that he slips his clutch so he can rev the engine higher than the wheels are spinning so he has more power at slower wheel speed? If that is the case, then yes, I would imagine you are damaging your clutch. As everybody else here said, change your shift points if you are looking for more acceleration.

That being said, I think you are expecting this bike to have more power on tap than it actually does....
                      thats exactly what i was talking about, looks like i wont be doing it any more though
                      99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
                      06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
                      06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
                      lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X