X

What to buy 600 or 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mat0302 View Post
    Yes, but if he is looking into a 750, the thats what he will want eventually. How different is it to change the oil in a 600 or 750. Mine seems pretty easy.
    I was told yesterday the belly fairing covered the drain plug so you had to remove it in order to drain the oil. And you're right if he is currently considering the 750 then that is what he will most likely want.
    '06 600 Katana
    http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
    Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
    Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Originally posted by TheWrightKat View Post
      umm someone correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't a larger rear sprocket make it easier to wheelie as well as throw off the speedo?
      Are the speedo's different on the pre's and post's?? I know on the pre's it doesn't matter changing the rear sprocket, b/c speedo cable runs through and assembly on the front wheel.

I'd say go with the 750, as well.
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

I bought a new 600 Kat a year and a half ago and then bought a new 750 Kat this past October. Go with the 750. The 600 is a noble bike, but the 750 goes about 10 mph faster at the same rpm and doesn't get whiney at highway speeds in 6th making you want another gear.

Wheelie? If you wanted to make it wheelie, you'd really have to work at it. I go around 18 wheelers at 105 mph and more, and there's never even a thought of the front wheel coming up. It's really not a concern. I'd go for the 750, with due respect for the 600, which is a fine bike. And mpg is not much different for the 750. Otherwise, they're basically the same bike. 750.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I was told yesterday the belly fairing covered the drain plug so you had to remove it in order to drain the oil. And you're right if he is currently considering the 750 then that is what he will most likely want.
          The oil change on a 750 is no different than an oil change on a 600.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by scenic View Post
            I ...Have ridden YZF 600, Honda VTX 1300 and 1800, Valkarie, 1500 Intruder, 1200 Bandit, and 600 GSXR 600 which I HATE to ride, and which is the reason I never want a bike that can easily do a wheelie.
            Man, the Bandit 1200 is WAY more a wheelie machine than the GSXR600. More torque in low and mid range, short wheelbase, higher bars- B12's can do power wheelies without all the histronics sportbikes need (popping the clutch, jerking the bars, power-off to compress the shocks/power-on to loft the wheel...) Just get going, then twist open the throttle and up it floats!

I know you asked about the Kats, but this is ONE time when I would NOT recommend the B12! Having owned a Kat 750 concurrently with the B12, I can tell you it does not have near the propensity to wheelie (even with a +1 front sprocket,) while having excellent performance- it would prob. be a good choice for you.
            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

You remove the belly pan from both bikes when changing the oil. There's nothing difficult about it. It's a matter a using a hex wrench to remove five or six nuts on each side. With the center stand, it's almost as easy as changing the oil on my VTX1300. No jack no tie-downs necessary.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

05-26-2005, 07:00 PM #11 WildKat
                Yesterday, 06:52 AM #12 wcrank

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                  You remove the belly pan from both bikes when changing the oil. There's nothing difficult about it. It's a matter a using a hex wrench to remove five or six nuts on each side. With the center stand, it's almost as easy as changing the oil on my VTX1300. No jack no tie-downs necessary.
                  You DO NOT have to remove the belly pan from the 06 600 Katana to do an oil change. I have pics that prove my point. If you wish I can post them. No I do not have a fumoto. Yes I have stock plastics. Yes I do my own oil changes so I know what I am talking about. All you have to use is a socket (19mm) I believe for the drain plug and reach in and twist really good on the oil filter by hand. No need to remove the belly pan. At most you may have to wipe off a little oil that may or may not get on the belly pan when removing the oil filter, but nothing is blocking the drain plug.
                  '06 600 Katana

Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

umm someone correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't a larger rear sprocket make it easier to wheelie as well as throw off the speedo?
                    If you use a larger rear sprocket you will get more top end speed but will not have as much take off power (think about your old 10 speed bike.) Your speedo is attached to the front sprocket but most read high coming from the factory. If you put a larger rear sproket on, you will be going faster at the back wheel, but your front sprocket will stay the same speed---making the speedo more correct.

Comment

Originally posted by wcrank View Post
                      If you use a larger rear sprocket you will get more top end speed but will not have as much take off power (think about your old 10 speed bike.) Your speedo is attached to the front sprocket but most read high coming from the factory. If you put a larger rear sproket on, you will be going faster at the back wheel, but your front sprocket will stay the same speed---making the speedo more correct.
                      Larger rear sprocket equals more torque and less topend speed. You will take off faster but won't be able to go as fast.

Any change in sprocket size front or rear will throw off the speedo. This is why it is recomended you use a speedohealer if you change sprocket sizes.

Please if you don't want to believe me please believe the Katana Guru we call TheCyberPoet. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...ocketmath.html
                      Last edited by TheWrightKat; 02-16-2008, 07:14 AM. Reason: found the link I was looking for
                      '06 600 Katana

Comment

I believe if you go up one tooth in the rear, it will almost correct the speedo discrepancy. It will hurt the top end alittle, but not enough to notice. 2+ teeth will start the top end spiraling downward, with more noticable bottom end. It is like switching to a higher gear in your car, faster acceleration, with lower topend.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPA-FLY-KAT View Post
                          TAKE THE 750, YOULLE GET BORED AFTER3K MILES ON THE 600..
                          +1 I bought mine new had only rode dirt bikes and a friends cruiser for a weekend. I am very happy with going with the 750 over the 600. I have only raised the front wheel once in 15000miles by accident and only a couple inches at that. So far there is only one bike I would trade up to and not because of a lack of power or the need for more and thats the Yamaha FJR1300A.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm sure since the OP posted in 2005 , he's PROBABLY already made up his mind by now .....
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                              I'm sure since the OP posted in 2005 , he's PROBABLY already made up his mind by now .....
                              didn't even notice

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I was tired when I got home wasn't paying attention too..Sooo what did he/she get 750 or 600?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X