X

Help with Wind?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Wind?

I did a few searches, but I need help trying to figure out my own wind buffeting issue...

I'm 6'3" with very broad shoulders.
    My riding position is nearly lock-armed (a little bend for shock absorption).
    I have a fitted kevlar jacket with shoulder/elbow pads (for even more width to my frame).
    I use a full-face helmet (Scorpion).

When I get above 45 MPH or so, I have a distinct sensation of wind pushing me, but not consistently. Now, of course, it's March, and natural cross-winds are hard to avoid, but I only notice it when I'm 45+. If I tuck down a bit, it seems to get better.

So, is it my riding position? My size? My gear?

I don't plan on doing a lot of highway riding, but it's hard to imagine going 60+ with that kind of wind play going on.

All suggestions welcome!

MM

Lock armed is bad. You should be holding on to the bike with your legs, not your arms.

The winds here in the past week have been A LOT more than what you would usually find.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

IDK how much it would help but I know a 98+ Kat they make touring windscreens.
      sigpic
      Update Jul 11 2014
      Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

when i first stated riding only a year ago, the wind really seemed to push me around . i found that the worn tires i inherited were mostly to blame. after i got fresh shoes the wind was still there but not nearly as bad. and i ride in a good cross wind most of the time in my commute . but just getting used to the wind really is what i needed .after i realized im not going to be blown over and relaxed alittle its all good now.

Comment

Lean into the wind and it will help support you, squeeze with your legs and use your back to hold yourself up. If you use just your arms you'll probably start getting numb hands on long hauls. http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_0...ing/index.html
          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

You need to loosen up you arms
            American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

And use your legs to hold the bike.

Comment

I'm sure your broad frame is not helping, but at the same time it is just going to take some getting used to. I was really noticing it at 65mph, and although good gusts still blow me around I'm not worried so much about it anymore.

That and what the guys above said!
                Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Good tips

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I shouldn't have said "lock armed", but I do need to relax my arms a little and stabilize more with my legs. As I get more used to it, I'm sure the wind won't seem as bad either.

I have an Ocean kayak that I swore was going to tip over when waves hit it ... until I leaned over as far as I could and realized it wasn't going to tip unless I threw my whole body into it. Same idea.

I'm going to signing up for the MSF Experienced rider course next month. Hopefully, it will be full of more good advice!

Thanks,
                  MM

Comment

i'ma big boi....6'4" and about 220...with a Cortech GX-Sport jacket and Zox Helmet. and i had no issues with wind when i had my Kat, i thought the aerodynamics were great Just need to check that riding position, grip the tank with your legs, and hold yourself up with your back and abs...steer with your arms dont brace up with them.....Now this V Star with no windshield is a different story...i'm gonna have six pack abs just hanging on to that thing at 70.....But i dont wanna wind shield it looks good with out it....but i suppose i should get one to keep from getting pulverized by the wind...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

The wind shouldn't be even remotely a problem, you should spend some time riding at 80+ (safely of course) to get used to it's effect, then drop down the lower speeds and you'll not notice the wind at all. If it continues get yourself a longer windscreen, but otherwise adopt a more aggressive riding position.

Comment

As everyone else said above, hold on with your legs. Relax your arms and your grip, no death grip. Also, make sure you don't have any loose clothing on.
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

Just relax dude. The wind here blows all the time, and it just takes time to get use to it. If your a new rider it could take 6 months to a year to become use to it.
                          Nowdays, it has to be blowing 20+ before I even really notice it
                          I did see a Katana once that had one of those extended "touring" windscreens. Didn't look so bad, and figured it would be really effective if you were a larger person
                          It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

I'm about your size 6'3" and 200 with the shoulders as well, I have a scorpion exo 400, and I ride in PA, so i know how u feel. I found it helped the most to use my back and/or stomach to hold myself up and really try to get my butt underneath me to hold me up. As for the wind, you can hold on as tight as you want with your legs, it does help, but i suggest you just relax and lean into the wind when a gust hits you. Overall, I think the wind is part of riding a bike.

Comment

Concerns about wind buffeting are typical for someone that hasn't been riding for too long. It's a foreign and scary sensation sometimes, but after awhile you get used to it. Don't tense up and try to fight it. -Just relax, hang loose and don't worry about it.
                              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X