X
X

The Best Writing I Have Seen On Noobs and Sportbikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I can agree with the resale value of a ninja 250. Bought mine for $1500, rode it for three months, then sold it on CL for $2000. I sold it the day I posted the ad.

Comment

I got my 94 katana for 1500.. Cant see the resale value going down too mch when i sell it, as long as i maintain it and it's still runnin. I am a big guy, bout 250lbs. Never rode before. Been riding a few weeks, definitely not too powerful. I'm loving it.

Comment

this is a really great read. i wanted to start out on a ninja 250... but the 600 kat came along and although i was scared i fell in love. not with the look, but the ride.

Comment

I remember starting out first on a 50cc mini bike, then a dirt bike, and then moving up to a nighthawk 250 that I rode for a couple years. I couldn't imagine trying to learn how to ride on a 600cc SS, I probably would have killed myself. When I bought an SV650 a few years ago another guy I knew bought a new R6. Within the first month and a half he had dropped it three times, and ended up with somethinkg like 20 stitches in his calf where the foot peg had stabbed into it when he went down. Apparently the R6 was not a wise choice for him. some people have to learn the hard way. I always try to steer a new rider towards a 250, they're just so great to learn on.
          Semper Fi
          1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

Damn good article. Nice read for some of us newbies.
            Life is a really long ride. Make sure you do it in style.

Comment

Alrighty I know I'm really late to post but to one of the questions earlier - A 250 has more than enough power to get you out of situations that call for it, I had a Ninja 250 that would outrun my friends 94 Z28 Camaro. Another argument I have is that the new GSXR's with the mode selector - even the 600's on the C mode (lowest one) still have more power than anybody needs and was intended for rain use, also can be switched to full power with the push of a button. While a 600 sportbike is not the best starter bike, something like a Katana or a 650 Ninja is a better choice than an SS (not quite as much power, but still more than enough and very predictable, and just much more comfortable). And as stated before people don't hear what they don't want to. I was at the dealership a while back and showed up just in time to see a guy buy his first bike and helmet. A CBR1000RR.... On the way out of the parking lot he lost it and laid it over. It was sort of funny but also sad. To anybody out there reading this looking for a new bike. If you can wait for a few months, get a 08 250 Ninja... Looks amazing and not excessive amounts of power, also pretty comfortable. (I'm 5'8 225) Not to shoot down anybody set on buying one, I personally plan on getting a Busa as my next toy, but if you do just respect it and don't underestimate their potential - that's how people get hurt. Sorry to make this so long I'm done now
              I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
              --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

It warms my heart to see that people are getting something from this thread.
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                  It warms my heart to see that people are getting something from this thread.

they better get something from this thread/site 99% of the questons have been asked 8023498234982348923498234982349823489234 times within the last 5 minutes

Comment

Short version:
                    Anyways, long story short... Eventhough I was able to learn riding from scratch with my Kat, I do feel that a lighter, more forgiving bike would be a better choice for beginner like myself. But personally, If I have a chance to go back in time and chose between the 250 ninja and the kat... I would still chose the Kat.

-Brian

Long version:
                    As Sambo1987 said "...I am really late to post but..." I've just gotten my 06 katana as a first bike. I was looking for a 250cc bike. I was looking hard too. I love the new look of the new 08 250 ninja. I have a co-worker who is an engine fanatic. He loves his car and his bikes. He "adviced" me to get at least a 600. I told him "No. I wont because it has too much power for me. I am an exponential noob at bikes, so a 600 would be too much for me." That was that.

Well, while looking for a bike on ebay and cycle magazines and all the nook and cranies for a good deal. I found a 06 kat 600cc, never been drop, with 3500 miles for $4200 with helmet and cover (I fell in love with the Kat the first time I saw a kat in a magazine a year back). And I saw an 08 250 ninja being sold for $3500 with 1500 miles on it. I thought and thought and thought. Being a cheapscape I am, I compared the power to cost ratio and that's why I chose the Kat. More "Bang for the Buck" one could say. I jump at the kat (obviously, cuz I am here in this forum)

Anyways I drop the bike in the first 10 minutes of praticing in the parking lot. Yes I laid her down. I forgot to put the kick stand down after getting off. (kat is definitely heavier than other 600cc) Oh well. I keep on praticing in parking lots for the next 3 days and when I felt confidence, I start heading out of the parking lot and ride in residential neighborhood. Then progress to small street and now after 2 weeks I am riding on the street (I tried to ride when the sun is still up). I considered myself to be a conservative rider. How do I know what kind of rider I am you ask? Well I always keep "ride withing your ability" quote in mind. I am enjoying the kat very very very much. I have not lay her down since that first time (knock on woods!).

Anyways, long story short... Eventhough I was able to learn riding from scratch with my Kat, I do feel that a lighter, more forgiving bike would be a better choice for beginner. But personally, If I have a chance to go back in time and chose between the 250 ninja and the kat... I would still chose the Kat.

-Brian
                    Last edited by KruddsKAT; 08-13-2008, 10:25 PM.
                    +=

Comment

good read, now if i could just get my friends to listen...

Comment

my favorite is the guys on youtube or whatever who seriously ask if a busa or a gsxr1000 is a good starter bike. I just say ya, i mean less stupid people mean for a better world....higher insurance, but at least thats one less dude that could spit in my burgers

Comment

Great info, thanks

Comment

good read! i am a beginner and do not know much about riding...just pocket rockets and a 250 a few times...i am plannin on purchasing a 600, is this gonna b a major mistake? i have alot of back roads to practice on with little or no traffic and i am very afraid of laying my bike down at high speeds so i do not plan on speeding very much...should i go smaller?

Comment

Thanks for checking in, kweef, and welcome to Katriders.

"purchasing a 600..." Depends alot on WHICH 600. Katana 600's and Bandit 600's are not stupid fast. '08 gsx-R600's and the like are.

IMHO, a good bike to start with is a Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki Ninja 500. Once you have ridden it about a year or two, you can then move up to a 750- or a 600 if you prefer.

If you can honestly say you will use it with discretion, a 600 could work for you- but be honest, and beware- we all find it all too easy to twist that throttle...
                              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I remember reading this a year ago. Then 6 months ago I got my first bike. 04 Kat 600. But like Stevie just said, I knew that I would use it with discretion and it's been a great first bike. I think saying all 600's are not good starter bikes is to broad of a statement. But more depends on the rider when looking at the spectrum of 600's. A GSXR600 would definitely not have been a good first bike for me.

p.s. MSF made the difference for me though. Great course. Don't even think about not taking it before you start riding.
                                Last edited by hub; 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM. Reason: p.s.

Comment

Working...
                                X