X
X

The Best Writing I Have Seen On Noobs and Sportbikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started out on dirt bikes and then decided to get a bike my first one is a 750 kat but I will admit it has more power than I really need but!, I find I ride with her amazingly maybe it's because I respect her and know that it's not if I go down its when.

Comment

• Well guys, I'm one of the retards who is starting on a 600cc bike (92 katana). Not for the reasons above, but because I told my friend who rides that I was interested in riding, and he plugged me into buying a beat-up Katana for cheap.

I fell in love with the body and size, and also liked the fact that because it was beat up, I'd have no issues dropping it, or tinkering with it myself at no risk of damaging the value (bought it for 500).

First gear takes me to 40, which works fine for me since I live in the city and so far only ride to school and work.

I am taking a safety class this weekend, but when I'm ready to take the bike on the highway, or faster in general, aside from reading through the articles on this site, do any of you more experienced riders have any advice for a kat 6?

Comment

• great read

Comment

• Very exciting article, I really enjoyed reading it.

Comment

• I think generally for the "flock" of noobs that are asking about this before riding season starts, this is good advice. Without knowing the person or how responsible they are, I don't think anyone should be recommending to other to start on 600 or higher.

I personally started on a 600 Katana (that I still have 6 years later) as my first bike. I never rode a dirt bike before my Katana. I think it worked for me, because I was AFRAID of the machine. I didn't jump on it and show all my friends how cool I was... I sat in my driveway for hours just practicing with the clutch taking off slowly, than backing my self back down the driveway. I did this until I could take off slow and smooth every time without thinking about it, before even considering hitting the road. I then had a family member who knew how to ride, ride it to a near by parking lot for me to practice figure eights and turning in general.

Hard to say for others though, I was smart and probably a bit lucky that I never hurt my self starting on the 600. I'd say also, I wouldn't recommend a 600 sports bike as a first bike UNLESS it was a touring version such as the kat.
            - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

• This was a great read. Especially for the younger riders. I am mid 40's and just got back into riding. I rode dirt bikes and street bikes as a kid but time and money prevented me from riding for about 20 years. I just got back into it and I am on a 2001 750.

Comment

• Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                I think generally for the "flock" of noobs that are asking about this before riding season starts, this is good advice. Without knowing the person or how responsible they are, I don't think anyone should be recommending to other to start on 600 or higher.

I personally started on a 600 Katana (that I still have 6 years later) as my first bike. I never rode a dirt bike before my Katana. I think it worked for me, because I was AFRAID of the machine. I didn't jump on it and show all my friends how cool I was... I sat in my driveway for hours just practicing with the clutch taking off slowly, than backing my self back down the driveway. I did this until I could take off slow and smooth every time without thinking about it, before even considering hitting the road. I then had a family member who knew how to ride, ride it to a near by parking lot for me to practice figure eights and turning in general.

Hard to say for others though, I was smart and probably a bit lucky that I never hurt my self starting on the 600. I'd say also, I wouldn't recommend a 600 sports bike as a first bike UNLESS it was a touring version such as the kat.
                I was the complete opposite. I started on an GSXR600. My first ride was in a packed parking lot for 10 minutes then on a main street for about 25 minutes then on to the high way for about an hour. This is most likely the reason I was completely stupid on a bike for a very long time. It took the death of a very close friend for me to actually respect what could happen on a bike. If I could go back and start over I would have done things different. I would have started with either a 250 or 500 and taken it slow. I'm very lucky that I didn't end up dead with the crap I used to do.

On the topic of the article, I'm gonna have to disagree with the bit about height. I'm 6'3" 280lbs and I dont fit on any 250 I've tried or even the new ninja 300. The new Honda 500 is even a tight fit. I'm really not looking forward to the MSF course because they use 250's. The have plenty of power to move me, but they are extremely uncomfortable and IMO that is also a safety concern. If you're not comfortable on a bike, you're not going to be able to concentrate on riding as much as you should.
                Last edited by Bkohs; 03-11-2014, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Im a noob rider this is good knowledge I agree that choosing a first bike based on vanity or any other reason then what you can handle is doomed for failure , but I disagree that choosing a 250cc is the best choice for every beginner, my first time riding on a bike was at a MSC course, the bikes were 250cc rebels after finishing the course I knew that a 250cc would not hold me for long, so after doing much research on bikes watching youtube vids, visting bike shops, etc I came to the conclusion that the katana 600cc would the perfect fit for me and my wallet. This bike is a perfect beginner/Intermediate ride for my needs. Bought my bike in Deleware rode it all the way back Va. I knew my limits and what I was able to do and what I couldn't do. I made my decision based on research and being well informed, those that fail to do so put themselves at greater risk.

Comment

• First Bike

My first bike was a Yamaha TW200. I then moved up to 1970s middle-weight UJMs. I still own all my UJMs and my 1989 750 Katana. I sold the TW200 in the late 90s as I was too occupied with raising kids to ride much. I have since become pre-occupied with a 1971 Suzuki T250 I have resto-modded into a Scrambler. One does not need to outgrow a bike, but ones purposes for riding might change or might be different from others.

My main goal in motorcycling is to restore or rebuild old bikes, get them to run well and ride them on local roads. I admit that I like when people comment on my bikes. On Monday evenings a group of sport bike riders convene at a local shopping/restaurant venue. I am always made to feel welcome, whether I am riding the old Kat or one of my creations. When I first rode up on my 79 Cb400 Hawk cafe-wish bike that imprinted plum crazy purple and installed shorty mufflers, everyone smiled and said that the would ride the Hawk.

For me, riding is not about how fast I can go or if I can overtake cars on the freeway quicker. For me it is about freedom, the freedom to create and the freedom to ride. For this reason I will never outgrow my smaller bikes. Truth be told, my Kat is the appliance in my fleet. I use it for commuting and for errands. It is quick, handles well and is dead reliable. However, it is an appliance. Once I can make more room in my garage, I wand to do an old GS550 with a 600 Katana or GSXR engine (oil cooled).

This is my long winded way of saying that size and power matter very little when it comes to riding enjoyment, once you have enough of it to suit your needs. I know many people who have bought very powerful bikes and have scaled back because they were too over the top.

When starting, get the most comfortable to ride easiest to handle bike for you. And remember, dropping a bike need not be part of learning.

Comment

• nice article when i first started from dirt to street i had some of the same thoughts in my head and now after riding for a little i realize i dont need the bikes i once wanted

Comment

• Thanks to this article (jus had my cousin read it) my cousin that I introduced to riding is reconsidering his first bike. I currently have him riding my project bike, 92 gs500e, after he learned the basics from my knock off, china brand 125cc, yamaha r series bike. He was intent on the gsxr750 so he would have a faster bike than my kat. Now he is content on going the rest of the season on the gs untill he can comfortable ride
                        Our deal was if i found a logical argument from some one else he would reconsider
                        A wise man can learn more from a acting fool
                        Than a acting fool can learn from a wise man

Comment

• Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                          Addendum: There ARE some 600's that actually make good first bikes. I think one is the mid-90's Yamaha SECA II's, perhaps Suzi Bandit 600's, , etc. Even better IMHO are naked bikes- without even the mini fairing like on the Bandits- so that when it DOES get dropped, there is less plastic to get scratched or cracked. This feature makes Kat 600's less than ideal for noobs, but if some took the time to remove the fairing for the first 6 months, I suppose it would be better.
                          Good idea!
                          88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

• Naked

Naked bikes are better for beginner riders, they make you more aware of the speed you are doing. You know you're going fast if you have to hang on to the bars.
                            I have just sold my VTR1000, with that bike the huge midrange and a fairing that kept the wind off you meant that you could get up to high speed without realising just how fast you were going.

Comment

Working...
                            X