Need Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help!

Dear Fellow riders,

I own the 1994 Suzuki Katana GSX 600 since last two months. I have been passionate about riding since I was a kid. And now I am looking forward for my first long trip on my bike. I am looking for about 1200-1400 miles of road trip on my bike sometime in summer-08 (Kansas-Arizona-Kansas). However, I have series of question for the trip. Could you guys help me with that? Few of those questions are:

1. My riding experience on sports bike is only 1000 miles. So, what kind of driving skills I should acquire before such type of long trip?
    2. What kind of physical activities/exercise I should do for this trip?
    3. What sort of preparation (Bike + Rider) should be done before such type of trips?
    4. Are there any websites / forums which would discuss the tips for long rides on sports bike?

I know this is pretty early to ask these questions for the summer-08 trip. But, I was hoping I can start working on few things like, exercising or bike maintenance or riding skills. Anyway, waiting for your valuable suggestions.

AM
    Life is fun than the fun is!!
    Proude owner of 1994 Katana

Well I'll hit a few I have ready answers for:

Check out CP's site www.motorcycleanchor.com

I would make sure I have gone over the bike from end to end, not only makeing sure everything is tight and right but so that I knew where everything was.

I would make sure I have a good set of tools and parts to take with. Some things I have always traveled with:
    Wire (electrical)
    Electrical tape
    Wire (binding, like safety wire)
    Epoxy
    Wire ties
    Cord (like you might find in a survival kit)
    Cotter pins
    First aid kit (including super glue.) I knew a guy who carried a sewing kit. I asked why, he said "in case I need to stitch my self up". I laughed. "Ever try and get a sewing kit needle through skin?.. I have.. Super glue is what you need"
    Spark plugs.
    Oil. (Actually I would carry a nearly empty can of Marvel Mystery Oil. I could use the oil or use it to carry a small amount of gas. A pint of gas will get a bike a long way.)

Eat lots of bran.

And this website talks a lot about long rides on Kats. Check out Touring 411

Comment

Try pashnit.com, lots of long distance tourers there.

Comment

well...you have a while....just go for longer rides
        don't ovewrthink it, have a safe bike.....get some practice...tell people of your plans...have fun!

Comment

Ditto on the super glue. Although there is some stuff out now that's called "liquid bandage" or something like that. Works really well,and it will come off easily after the fact.

AAA card wouldn't hurt, cause you can't predict a flat tire or something along those lines.

Comment

Start taking longer and longer rides

Comment

+1 on longer rides.
              i've driven from OH to AZ and IA to AZ (u-haul both times, neither time hauling my stuff- i'm either a sucker or a really nice guy) and the drive is long, straight, flat and boring. you'll want to get those saddle muscles nice and callused or you'll be in the kind of hurt that super glue isnt recommended for.. . .

Comment

The heat through all the states you'll be crossing, whether by I70 or I40 (I suggest I40), during the summer will be you and your bikes worst enemy IMO. It will wear you out fast and run your bike temps to extremes.. Better get a hydro pack and a good summer jacket.
                I'd definately also change the oil at the start and maybe even midway. It is ~1300 miles

Don't know why exactly summer but if at all possible, I'd consider changing to late spring of autum time.

At any rate, good luck
                It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

"Sport riding techniques" is a good book to read. You'll also find alot of info here, hope it helps http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle_riding/index.html
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                  X