X

Should MSF be mandatory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should MSF be mandatory

Does anybody else think that the MSF ( or a similar equivilant atleast) should be mandatory to get your license? I just think it would be such a good idea, rather than just being able to run up to your local DOT and take the test.

I know there'd be a ALOT involved to ever make it happen, but there's so much more to learn by hands on when you're starting out, than just taking a quite few minute skills test from a DOT instructor or cop.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Undecided
    0%

Yes yes and yes... I think a graduated licensing like Oh Canada! would be a great idea.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Don't kick me off the board for this but

HELL YES!!!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

While I think it would help in some cases, the fact is you can regulate stupidity.

Here's a post from last week on a local forum. Maybe the MSF could have saved this GSX-R.

My condolences to your brand new bike... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

New Bike, newish rider.

GSXR 600. Brand new. not a scratch.

Now with scratches. Brand new motor, now with unseated rev limiter specially seated rings.

I just missed it.

Let this be a lesson to noobs. Super sport bikes will bite you in the (ooops) in parking lots.

Do not release the clutch in first gear when you are at the limiter and in first gear. Please for God's sakes......buy a noob bike. And next time......PLEASE LET GO OF THE WFO THROTTLE WHEN THE BIKE IS ON THE GORUND.

Wheelspin on your brand new bike from a dead stop is not considered cool anymore.

Glad you're okay if you are on here.
        Kyle

Comment

YES, YES, YES! I see so many Biker Boyz wannabees that it just makes me sick. They have no riding skills and the reason most of them got bikes was just to look cool. Coming home yesterday, we saw a group of 5 (squid) approaching a red light and as they they slowed down they were all dragging both feet. I guess they were not shown that a bike has a rear brake. I would bet that these guys only had learners permits, if that. The bad thing about it is bad habits tend to stick around awhile and it's just a matter of time before they get into a panic situation and slam that front brake. We all know what happens then. People need to be shown how to safely operate a bike. Yes, I knew how to ride a bike before I took the course, but was shocked at all the bad habits I had. This is why the MSF course should be mandatory. Lives could be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
            Don't kick me off the board for this but

HELL YES!!!
            That's it , get out.
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I definately think it should. As much as the graduated driver thing here is a pain in the arse, it make sense.
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Mandatory to get your license.

Comment

I voted no, for one simple reason: more government is never a good thing.

For the record, I do think MSF RiderCourse is great, and highly recommend it. What I don't understand, though, is why so many people have the immediate, knee-jerk reaction that adding more government and making more laws is the solution to any given problem.
                  I got a worried mind, sharin' what I thought was mine
                  Gonna leave her where the guitars play

Comment

I probably wouldn't feel it should be mandatory if each state had decent requirements for the road portion of the test. As it is, most ( I say most, not all ) states basically require you to be able to start the bike and drive it in a few circles to get your license. My road test lasted 30 seconds...literally.

Comment

Each state has different requirements, that is a problem. Ohio for istances has a small course set up behind their DMV's, it is a simple course and does nothing for rider experience.
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

(sarcasm)As an added bonus up here in Ontario (sarcasm) , one of the main bike Insurance companies no longer gives a discount for taking the MSF course. It was 15% last year and that would more than make up for the cost of the course over a year or two. This year they no longer give the discount to new riders.

I know some of you guys in the States get the course for dirt cheap, up here it's taken at te local community colleges and such and costs around $350. That 15% off really made it a good investment and easier to get people to take the course. This year and next I think many new riders will skip the course.
                        Kyle

Comment

More government is not always good. But I can think of other areas that the government should stay out of. This is not one of them, at least its only interests here are public safety and education. This is not one of those big brother money grubbing conspiracy issues that are shadowed in government BS.
                          1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                          2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                          Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Originally posted by BearKat
                            More government is not always good. But I can think of other areas that the government should stay out of. This is not one of them, at least its only interests here are public safety and education. This is not one of those big brother money grubbing conspiracy issues that are shadowed in government BS.
                            Well said Bro!!!!
                            I also feel that cagers need some of the same type of schooling.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

YES. I can't tell you how many life saving things I learned at the MSF. I'd rather learn them at the course than out on the street where I would be an endangerment to myslef and to others. I think the government should get involved when helping insure that people are not dangerous out on the PUBLIC roads.
                              95 kat 600. no longer purple

Comment

Working...
                              X