• Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, but i think it should be F R E E !
    Hello World.

Comment

Originally posted by irenekat
      yes, but i think it should be F R E E !
      I some states such as PA it is free. In other states such as Michigan it is very cheap (about $35). Unfortunatly VA is not one of those states. Here the course costs $90, but it is worth every penny.

Comment

it's about $200 here in cali...the MSF is making mucho $$$ off of motorcyclists here
        Hello World.

Comment

If it WAS free , then I'd vote for mandatory as well . But it's not , and now we don't even get an insurance break (that wasn't even all that huge to begin with) around here anymore .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If it would be mandatory, Im sure something would have to be worked out w/ the government and such for payment of taking the classes... but like I always say, one of the good things about PA, one of the only good things is the MSF course is free.

Comment

^and i bet PA has a low motorcycle accident rate and insurance is lower there than most states...just a wild guess
              Hello World.

Comment

Originally posted by irenekat
                it's about $200 here in cali...the MSF is making mucho $$$ off of motorcyclists here
                Everything in Cali is more expensive than rest of this country. Have you ever thought what it cost to put MSF on? Not only a flock of Range bikes, but the maintence and replacement of them, not to mention the instructors that have to be trained and certified and be paid well enough to keep there interest in the field. If made mandatory, it would operate like the Military’s MSF, it is mandatory, so it is free. That is only fair.
                1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

it IS mandatory here in RI. It is the only way to get your license. I think its a great idea too. So Id say yes, with my only reservation being price. the class shouldnt be as expensive as some states Ive seen.

Here its state funded so it costs about 50-60$ for the class. You use their bikes, and the tests are all included in the class. If you pass the class, no extra tests needed.

Upon completion of the class you get a 1 month permit, when that month is up you have your license
                  Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Just to add to BearKat...in Cali it is manditory if you are under 21...

Taken from California DMV website (www.dmv.ca.gov)

"To apply for your motorcycle Class M1 or M2 license, you must do one of the following:

If you are under 21, you must complete a motorcycle rider training course given by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and provide the completion certificate to DMV to be issued your license. You will not be required to take the motorcycle driving test at DMV.

If you are over 21, you may either choose to complete the course by CHP and provide the certificate OR schedule an appointment at DMV to take the driving test. You have three chances to pass the test.

For information about the CHP training course, please call 1-877-743-3411 or visit www.ca-msp.org. "

Just to add my opinion...I think cages should be required to take a one day motorcycle course both text book and driving...this way they would be more aware of what we have to deal with...just my $.02....
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Yes. I am a new rider and took the course 2 weeks ago. It was invaluable. So many things I would have never learned by just "teaching myself" or having someone show me how to ride. After a couple of years I hope to take the ERC as well.
                      > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                      97 Mustang GT
                      95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

its not going to stop those noob trying to do stunts on there bikes. everywhere has them group of guys that go out and tear up the streets. all the younger guys want to be like them so they go out and try stupid shit. i know cuz im one of them, i had to learn the lesson the hard way, God willing i still have my life. and yes i took the course, but when u have an unexperienced rider seeing this stuff done well, monkey see, monkey do. They don't understand that its possible that they too can crash the bike. Might as well get the cameras and get some entertainment out of them, cuz there going to do it the more u say not to.
                        Save the homeless, take me home with you!

Comment

Originally posted by MossMan4
                          its not going to stop those noob trying to do stunts on there bikes. everywhere has them group of guys that go out and tear up the streets. all the younger guys want to be like them so they go out and try stupid shiate. i know cuz im one of them, i had to learn the lesson the hard way, God willing i still have my life. and yes i took the course, but when u have an unexperienced rider seeing this stuff done well, monkey see, monkey do. They don't understand that its possible that they too can crash the bike. Might as well get the cameras and get some entertainment out of them, cuz there going to do it the more u say not to.
                          no offense here, but I completely disagree. Just because Ive seen people doing stunts doesnt mean I would run out and do them. Its all about making your own decisions.

But I agree with that fact that the MSF course wont stop people from doing stupid things, there are too many stupid people for that
                          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

In Denmark we have something very close to the MSF when getting a license and it IS mandatory
                            (also part of why getting a license in DK, costs about 1500$/3000$ if you want BOTH car & bike)

minimum requirements for getting a license in DK:

24 lessons of driving theory
                            16 lessons of practise driving (no such thing as learners permits here, only qualified instructors are allowed to teach on bikes that are checked every other year)
                            4 lessons in basic handling and maneuvering
                            4 Hours instruction on a special facility for advanced maneuvers.
                            Two exams one with pics / one real world driving.
                            Must pass medical.

* Lesson = atleast 45 mins

These are the VERY minimum requirements and only about 10-15% of people are able to get a license on just that.
                            Most have to get extra lessons, which will make your wallet scream in agony

EDIT:>

Infact you aren't even allowed to ride anything on two wheels with >34HP(25kW) unless you're atleast 21.
                            First 3 years after you pass the exams and get your license it's on 'probation' and you'll be required to take a refresher course if you mess up to any serious extent (alcohol & traffic course is mandatory too if you're under the influence when you messed up)

Fine for driving without a license: 1st time: 900$ 2nd: 1800$ 3rd: 2 weeks in jail.

Still... lots of people drive like maniacs around here though, guess that's just unavoidable wherever you might live :/
                            -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

I did not take the MSF riding course. With that being said I do think it should be required. I do plan on takeing the experienced course in the future.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Actually I chose to take my license here in Belgium, since it's easier to pratice than in Sweden - I could pratice on my own for the exam (with limitations) after 6 hours at a accredited driving school (and I had to do 2 more hours before the exam).

In Sweden I wouldn't need to take any lessons at a school, but the maneuvers at the exam makes it pretty much mandatory to take 6-10 hours at a school... If I did it over there, I'd have had to ride with a guide on another bike following mine... which makes it a bit difficult to get a lot of road experience before the exam.

I spent about 600 € (about 750 $) on my license, which is close to the absolute minimum possible here... (at 50 € an hour)
                                - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X