X

All sorts of problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All sorts of problems

I have been riding for barely a year and have taken the MSF What exercises can I do to get more confident in bends and leaning the bike a little more. I am not talking about retarded riding but excerises I can do to learn better sight control through turns.

I am getting better but I always have a fear the bike is going to fall from underneath me when I am in a bend or some regular turns. This is at higher speeds from 45-70 or so What can I do to get rid of this fear?

BTW here on post they have a HUGE lot that they conduct the MSF in with line markings and stuff

Thanks in advance

Kat morphed into a new R6S

The first thing is you need to have confidence in the bike. Most average riders will chicken out long before the bike has any issues with grip.

The most important thing to remember is look where you want to go, not where you are currently going. Also, don't look down. Keep eyes & head up.

Remember the MSF class?

SEE -- Search, Evaluate, Execute

Slow, Look, Press & Roll

1) Slow down before going into turn & calm suspension down.
    2) Look where you want to go and keep eyes level with horizon.
    3) Press, initiate lean by countersteeering
    4) Roll, apply slight throttle (maint. throttle) throughout turn. This stabilizes the suspension and improves control. Too much throttle and the bike will want to stand up on you. Just a little throttle is all that is needed. Then upon exiting corner smoothly roll into throttle.

Remember to lean with the bike. BE SMOOTH. No jerky motions in steeering or throttle.

If you have too much speed in the corner just lean into it more, DO NOT decelerate. Trust your bike!!! Avoid any deceleration or rapid acceleration. Do not use any brakes while in the corners until you are an advanced rider and know what trail braking is and how to scrub off speeds in the corners using the rear brakes.

Remember bike positioning to hit proper apex using. Outside, Inside, Outside when going into through and out of the corners. Do not turn too early when entering a corner. This requires you to hold the lean/ turn longer. This opens you up to making a mistake or making the bike unhappy.

Get yourself a copy of Sport Riding Techniques. It is an excellent book!!!! This will really help you out a lot in all aspects of riding a sport bike. It will answer every question that you have right now. It is a prerequisite for any sport bike rider to read.

I found a copy online in PDF form. I will be purchasing the book the next time I go to the book store.

I am still learning too but practice the things learned in the MSF course and other books regularly and read as much as I can on riding. Then go find yourself some twisties and practice, start slow and work your speeds up. Good luck
    Last edited by Zepp; 10-21-2007, 02:06 AM.
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

I think ....... yup , I feel it coming on .....

BUY THAT !!!!!!!!! It'll show you the best lines for best line of sight .
      As to "the bends" , practice . Only through riding will you get used to/over that one .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Riding experience is still the only way to gain confidence in your bike, and yourself. Find a road with some good curves, and take it often. You will be able to push yourself a little harder after time, and you will become one with your bike. If you have the funds, go to a track day or two. They will be able to give you pointers, and the correct techniques as well. Lack of fear will eventually come with experience, which may not always be a good thing.

Comment

I downloaded sport riding techniques alittle bit ago and am 37 pages into it. This book is blowing my mind on retarded stuff that I do...

So far its bad sight control
          PLus kung fu gripping the bars..

Comment

So how far ahead in turns do you guys look? Like on a 100yard sweeper do you look half way thru or all the way thru or like me half way thru mostly with some glances at the end?

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
              The first thing is you need to have confidence in the bike. Most average riders will chicken out long before the bike has any issues with grip.
              I would word it this way..

Give up your confidence to the bike..
              You will crash the bike, the bike is fine without you..

That is how I look at it.

Comment

...But if all else fails...wear clean underwear.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by JBA111 View Post
                  So how far ahead in turns do you guys look? Like on a 100yard sweeper do you look half way thru or all the way thru or like me half way thru mostly with some glances at the end?
                  Both . You sacn . You look through the corner , then look a second or so ahead scanning for debris , then move your eyes back up to the apex , then scan , then to the exit ....... you don't just look at one spot . That's target fixation , and since you go where you look ...... Keep your eyes moving . And buy .....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

PLus kung fu gripping the bars..
                    This is a TERRIBLE habit! If you learn to stay loose on the bars, you will instantly become a smoother rider! You should be able to bend your arms at the elboys and basically be able to lay your hands on the bars and push to countersteer. If you try to man handle it, every movement you make with your body transitions to the bars and you end up feeling like the bike is twitchy. The reality is that it is YOU making it that way.

Look at it this way. The bike don't need you to maintain balance. It can do that by itself. The only thing it needs you for is throttle input, turn initiation, and brake input. It can do most everything alse itself, and if you try to force it, it's going to feel unstable.
                    Last edited by meanstrk; 11-20-2007, 08:34 PM.
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                    X