X

How do you pronounce "Katana"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you pronounce "Katana"?

I just took delivery today of my first new bike in 22 years. A 2004 Katana 600. My dealer says he might sell one Katana each year. I don't know many other cyclists, and no sportbike riders locally.

When local people tell me how to pronounce Katana, I am not sure that I trust them to know for sure. I got the Ca sound correct, but is the 2nd part "tana" rhymes with "gone a"? Or does tana rhyme with the "tan" in "sun tan"?

How do the Japanese pronounce it? Maybe three syllables, cah tah nah?

I've got some other questions too. The owners manual says to burn a minimum of 87 octane gasoline. My dealer said use mid-grade (89 octane) and nothing less. So do any of you use 87 and have no problems?

Lastly, I don't want to scratch the top of my gas tank with my jacket. Are the tank tabs effective in preventing scratches? Suzuki sells both a long size and a short size on their web site. How long is the short? Does it do the job?

As for tank covers. Are they difficult to put on, and are they removable?

Thanks for any help. I apologize for the wordy post.

more like Ka Ton Ah
    Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Kuh tahn uh

I always run 93 octane in mine.

Congrats on picking a great bike!!
      If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

Re: How do you pronounce "Katana"?

Originally posted by harrye
        When local people tell me how to pronounce Katana, I am not sure that I trust them to know for sure. I got the Ca sound correct, but is the 2nd part "tana" rhymes with "gone a"? Or does tana rhyme with the "tan" in "sun tan"?

Can-O-Tu-Na
        - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

I always used 87 in my kat and never had a problem. Id say using 93 is just wasting money
          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by Slim

Can-O-Tu-Na
            Hardley running-son .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

That's how I hear most people say it.

I've got some other questions too. The owners manual says to burn a minimum of 87 octane gasoline. My dealer said use mid-grade (89 octane) and nothing less. So do any of you use 87 and have no problems?
              87 is fine unless the bike pings. Otherwise, higher octane means later ignition which can lead to a "less than ideal" timing situation.

Lastly, I don't want to scratch the top of my gas tank with my jacket. Are the tank tabs effective in preventing scratches? Suzuki sells both a long size and a short size on their web site. How long is the short? Does it do the job?
              I'm 5'9", 155lbs and the small one works fine for me. If you were 6'6" and 350 lbs you might want the larger one if more of your jacket was touching the tank.

As for tank covers. Are they difficult to put on, and are they removable?
              I have a Zook bra for mine. Takes less than 5 minutes to put it on.
              Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their help. I guess I have to get that "h" sound in Kuh tahn uh, or ka ton ah.

Checking for pinging with the gas seems to be the way to go.

Matt, thanks for the thorough response.

So can a bra or tank cover be removed completely, and not leave any marks on the tank? No wind chafing either?

Comment

yes it can be removed with not chaffing much olike my chaps...

and i pronounce is kata .. kataun... er purdy bike...
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Around here we just call it a Kat.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

How long is the short?

Is that a trick question??

Comment

KA (as in CAt)
                        TA (as in sun TAn)
                        NA (as in as in NAtional)

all three "a's" are long....

how I know this? I live near KA-NA-TA

Comment

Tank bra's are easy to put on.. they take alittle bit of stretching at first, but they'll go on. I love mine, got it off ebay for christmas, plus it looks cool as anything too.

So range, how do you pronounce Triumph, then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                            KA (as in CAt)
                            TA (as in sun TAn)
                            NA (as in as in NAtional)

all three "a's" are long....

how I know this? I live near KA-NA-TA

What kind of accent is that? Are you Can-aid-e-en?

Comment

I thought it was Kan A Dee Unn ..

Comment

Working...
                              X