X

Z's Lesson1: Do not use a lot of rear brake on wet road

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z's Lesson1: Do not use a lot of rear brake on wet road

Ok I learned a vauable lesson this morning.
    I was riding into work and the road was wet but it was not raining. I came to a stop light and it turned yellow. I was close enough that I could goose it and blow through it. However, I could not see the left side of the intersection to see if someone was turning into it. SO I decided I should Stop. I slowly started to apply the front brake. All way going well. I applied more as the bike was not stopping fast enough. Finally I had to engage the rear brake. With my new boots I did not realize the amount of force i was applying as such the rear began to skid. Aight I stayed on the brake as that is what you are supposed to do in a rear wheel skid. The wet pavement then decided to do a fun thing. it began to make my rear wheel skid out from under me. Luckily I was going slow enough that I turned in the direction of the skid and let up some on the front brake so that the wheel would spin a little to catch up to the skid. I maintaind calmness and what control I could. The bad part was that their was a touring bike next to me and he just stared.. of COurse I had full gear on and he only had jeans on and a jacket of some sort.. not leather or textile though. Lesson learned.. Blow stop lights.. No seriously, take it easy on the brakes when it is wet out. I know that seems to be common sense but what you think is easy often is more than the tires can handle for the conditions. Also the Macs suck for any type of traction...
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

+1 Z
    I also advocate testing out the limit of the rear regularly and using it every day!
    Last week I was thinking (as you do while riding)
    "Gee I havent been using my rear much lately"
    (I usually use it 80% at speeds below 40)
    Later on in my commute I had to "panic stop" (damn tourists!!) I hit the rear and front and proptly locked the rear.. I had lost the feel for the rear after not using it for so long.. It stepped out about a foot and I could hear it squeeling..

This was on a dry road but yes, on the macs...

Comment

Nice save!

Learned that same lesson on a dew covered road late one night in Alabama. Scared the doodoo out of me.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

you know i was not really scared... For some reason i have a tendancy to not panic like some would. Even when i flippe dmy car in mid air i was still calm and collected.. until it hit the ground...

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I use front and rear every time. If the rear brake wasn't meant to be used, they wouldn't put one on the bike!
          "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

oh i use mine all the time but on dry roads the amount of pressure applied is different thatn wet.. maybe the lesson should be to start practicing in all types of weather conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
              you know i was not really scared... For some reason i have a tendancy to not panic like some would. Even when i flippe dmy car in mid air i was still calm and collected.. until it hit the ground...

The calmest 3.1 milliseconds ever!!!

Comment

Didn't you know I can slow down time? It only took me .12 seconds to type this...

Comment

z, good job buddy, the other thing you need to watch out for is road paint!!!! if there is a lot of it or you swing a turn wide for some reason be ready you slip real easy on road paint!! its soo scary i almost lost it going to the drag strip last year

Comment

its really fun too when ur wearing new gloves and dont realize that your putting as much pressure on the front brakes as you really are too!!

Glad you saved it Z !! whew!

Comment

oh i use mine all the time but on dry roads the amount of pressure applied is different thatn wet.. maybe the lesson should be to start practicing in all types of weather conditions.
                      Yes, but you should be using then at the same time, your post said you used the front brakes and then worked the back ones in.
                      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I was talking to a guy last week who rides an R6, and he was saying that when he got home he was going to remove the rear brake to save weight! He was saying "why have it on there if I never use it!"...squid.

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
                          Yes, but you should be using then at the same time, your post said you used the front brakes and then worked the back ones in.
                          that is different than what I have heard. I was told to start applying the front first then begin applying the back.

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
                            you slip real easy on road paint!! its soo scary
                            Amen to that ... especially when its freshly and intentionally poured in the middle of the lane at a corner .... I still have anger issues.

Glad you kept it upright Z - I don't think I would have remained as calm. Have never felt the rear lock up. What did you mean by steering the bike in the direction of the skid? Was the rear stepping out to the right so you turned to the right to straighten out?

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
                              that is different than what I have heard. I was told to start applying the front first then begin applying the back.
                              I'm with Z - That's what we were taught. I probably use 80% front brakes. When braking from any sort of speed the weight transfers to the front wheel and the forks compress leaving very little traction behind so that any significant rear braking causes a lock up and skid, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X