NooB looking to set up first bike ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NooB looking to set up first bike ever

Hey,

This is my first bike ever - an '06 Kat 600. Bought it "slightly used" and "slightly dropped" with 850 miles.

I want to know what do I need to do to set it up right. People have mentioned suspension, ride heights and loading, but I'm a little confused as to what all I HAVE to do and what is not necessary, but a good thing to do as well. It rides fine, as is, but I'm a little concerned about my lack of knowledge. I've tried looking around, but I don't know what to search for!

Also, I smell a lot of gas when I'm idling at stop lights, and my idling will randomly jump to 2000-2500 rpm for a while and drop down to ~1500. Cause to be concerned?

Thanks for all your input.

-Ashwin321

don't touch the suspension, there's no need unless you're riding 2-up or are big (250+ and even then you my not need to). Just follow the owners manual recommendations on the suspension.

As for the idling... I have no clue, the gas smell is pretty normal. You might just make sure the fuel petcock is in the "ON" position and not in the "PRI"me position
    Two goldfish were in their tank.
    One turns to the other and says,
    "You man the guns, I'll drive."

Comment

Try running some techron or seafoam in a tank of gas. Maybe a carb sync, too.

Long Live the D

Comment

850 miles and rough idle?
        don't know whats exactly whats involved in the first service, but maybe it hasn't been done

Comment

I have an '06 also, you should have the first service done. My bike idles around 1000-1500. but after riding 30 minutes, the engines idles around 2000. It also smells like gas sometimes, but it is usually fumes from the tank on a hot day.
          myspace
          2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Yup, you absolutely must get that initial service done. A carb sync might need to be a part of that as well. I would not sweat the suspension setting just yet. Just get used to riding first and do run some seafoam through it 1oz for every gallon of gas then swap out that oil after running it through.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

First service should include, but not limited to:

1) Valve inspection and adjustment - Per Suzuki service manual
              2) Oil and filter change - per Suzuki service manual
              3) Synchronize the vacuum on the carbs.
              4) Clean and inspect chain
              5) Confirm tire pressures

Typical idle for a warm Kat should be between 1100-1300K. Since yours is an '06, I would ride for about 15 minutes and then adjust the idle using the end knob located inside your left kneecap. Just rotate the black knob until you are between 1100-1300.

I would confirm your current suspension settings by making sure they are at the factory default settings (check your owner's manual). Once that is completed, then you can tweak based on your weight and riding preference.

Comment

Clarifications

Thanks to all those who have replied. Maybe I should clarify. I bought it from a dealership used with 850 miles. I believe the person who bought it dropped it and got scared. They (the dealership) said that they did the 600 mile servicing, and I kinda sorta trust them.

However, the high idling happens after riding and coming to a stop. It starts idling (in neutral) at ~2000 rpm, and then if I give it a little twist on the throttle, 3 out of 4 times it goes back to its ~1400 rpm. Is there a chance its running too rich? (based on smell of gas) Or constricted air flow? (no symptoms per se)

Comment

I'd take it back to get a checkup. Sounds fishy...
                  =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Yeah , somethin ain't right ..... Maybe it sat at the shop a while and got some crud built up in the system from that .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X