Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Nervous about breaking in the new tire....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous about breaking in the new tire....

So i'm getting a new rear tire (Metzler Z6...thanks to all those posts praising it. You convinced me it was what i wanted) And might be getting a new front as well depending on how well the mismatched Metzler and front tire will preform. So I know it takes about 200 miles to break in a Metzler Z6 (taken from their site) But what i'm nervous about is breaking in the sides of the tire. I don't have many twistees here in PA that i ride on, so i don't lean my bike all that much, but when i get the chance i really try and get used to the leaning more and more. With the new tire will weaving back and forth on the highway or other non- busy road help me break in the sides of the tire enough to actually use it in corners? How will i know when i have "scruffed" it up enough to be confident it won't slip out from under me in a turn? Sorry that was so long winded, but i geuss i'm a little paranoid about messing up and dumping the bike.
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Go out for a nice long ride to warm them up, then find a nice empty parking lot thats clear of gravel, sand or other debris. Do figure eights until you build confidence in them. Gradually increasing your lean angle all the while till you're draggin knee

Ok, you don't need to go that far, but your tire will be broken in long before you think. The figure eights will just help you build confidence in them. Will also get you used to the new found handling characteristics that come from good rubber.

Comment

Go to an empty parking lot that is free of debris (preferably no rain during your break-in), and do some sweeping turns (left and right). Start with shallow lean angles and progressively increase as you get more confident.

The difference in handling between OEM Dunlops and the Z6's is astonishing!

Note: be sure your tire pressures are accurate prior to riding.

Comment

I know this will sound paranoid but the first thing I do with new tires is take sandpaper to them to get the plastic-feeling slickness off before scrubbing them in on the road.

Ok... it's a phobia. Long story.
        sigpic

Comment

yeah if theres no twisties then the 8s work well! the sand paper things sounds good to if your real worried bout it! going side to side in your lane on an empty road does farly good to!! getting more lean each time!!

Comment

sounds like central ohio. just get it warm on the road then find a nice parking lot (schools are out for the summer and their parking lots are big) do some 8's. don't know about sandaper?
            carpe diem

Comment

Usually when I get a new set of rubbers I just take her on the freeway and put about 30 miles on them. This is how I scuff in my tires. I do the lean back n' forth thing, kinda like cleaning off yer tires when you hit dirt or gravel.. You could go into a parking lot and look like a dork riding in circles, but I find it more realistic to do the above mentioned.
              Manufacturers all reccomend that you "scuff in" your tires for 100 miles. Meaning riding cautiously for the first 100. So if you want to do figure-8's in a parking lot for a month, go for it. Otherwise just go for a nice ride for a few hours, tires will scuff in just fine.

Comment

Maybe it's just common sense or maybe I'm too slow but I have never had a problem with the last 4 sets of new tires and loosing traction. Start out like it's raining and be smooth as you ride and you'll have them worn in in no time.

Or do a Mojoe and do a burnout in the dirt on the side of the road.

Originally posted by AzCyco
                So if you want to do figure-8's in a parking lot for a month, go for it. Otherwise just go for a nice ride for a few hours, tires will scuff in just fine.
                It won't take a month , the 100 mile advice is averaged out for those riders in twistie deficient areas so the tires have a chance to get scuffed up on the odd turn they manage to take.

Even when I picked up the Kat new the salesman told me to take it easy for a few 100kms, I asked him how liong it took him to break in tires and he smiles and said about 20kms .
                Kyle

Comment

[quote="woobie"]Maybe it's just common sense or maybe I'm too slow but I have never had a problem with the last 4 sets of new tires and loosing traction. Start out like it's raining and be smooth as you ride and you'll have them worn in in no time.quote]

I agree I have never had any problems with any of my new tires over the years. Just ride it easy for the first 20-30 mile and your set.
                  Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The mold release that is on the outside of the tire is scuffed off in a few dozen miles.

The cords and belts in a new tire are all untested. They need to go through a few cold and hot cycles, and normal flexing to be sure they don't separate. If you don't have a problem in a 100 miles or so the tires are tested and good to go. I don't think there is much of a problem with modern tires construction, but it was not uncommon for tire problems decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                      I know this will sound paranoid but the first thing I do with new tires is take sandpaper to them to get the plastic-feeling slickness off before scrubbing them in on the road.

Ok... it's a phobia. Long story.
                      I do the same thing

Comment

The best, and quickest (IMMEDIATE) way to break in a tire is to:

Start a burnout foor approx 10 seconds, then lean the bike from one side to the other keeping it on all three angles for 10 to 15 seconds. DONE. Now your tire is broken in.
                        That'll be $50

Comment

Originally posted by Luckybasturd
                          The best, and quickest (IMMEDIATE) way to break in a tire is to:

Start a burnout foor approx 10 seconds, then lean the bike from one side to the other keeping it on all three angles for 10 to 15 seconds. DONE. Now your tire is broken in.
                          That'll be $50
                          Don't forget to skid to a halt from about 60 mph while the wheels are locked up. -No charge.
                          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                          X