No announcement yet.
X

Emergency braking.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok 20MPH on a track, for newb, I know u gotta be careful when ur learning, but geez!!!! Definately a close call, glad u saved it!!

Comment

Yeah, it was a husband and wife both with bikes and scared to death to lean into a turn, so on the straights they may have hit 70, then it was WHOA a corner coming up, better take this easy. In hindsight I think the corner worker at this turn should have at least pulled a yellow flag to warn folks coming down this hill that something was up.
      Darrel
      '04 Honda F4i

Comment

Originally posted by slowflyn
        Yeah, it was a husband and wife both with bikes and scared to death to lean into a turn, so on the straights they may have hit 70, then it was WHOA a corner coming up, better take this easy. In hindsight I think the corner worker at this turn should have at least pulled a yellow flag to warn folks coming down this hill that something was up.
        I agree..if ur gonna go that slow while you learn, thats no problem, you gotta learn somehow,..but there should have been exceptions for them vs. the more experienced riders, so you guys didnt get tangled up..

as far as the rear brake thing...I do use my fronts more, I'll admit that, but I cant imagine not using the rear in combination w/ the front!! always been that way. besides, locking up the front wheel if you panic or just grab to hard for some reason, isnt the most fun position to be in when ur trying to stop in a hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by Range
          rear brake didn't help me in my "off"
          locked up...I released...and then panicked...lots of variables.

a little word to the wise...TYRES...mine were worn...was going to change them AFTER the season...boy...did I learn an expe$ive mi$$take
          Sure glad your OK. Yeah tires are a cheap bit of insurance for traction.
          Bike is sold

Comment

I just slowly put my feet down until the scrape and stop that way. Man I eat through shoes quick....
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
              I just slowly put my feet down until the scrape and stop that way. Man I eat through shoes quick....
              heck shoes are way cheaper than tires, plus when you put those metal plates on it works wonders, and looks cool too. Course I never brake, I lay it down every time, slows me down in a hurry, plus people think thats cool too,

In another universe, I always use both brakes, but only apply the rear after I have initiated with the front.

Comment

I am one who rarely uses the rear brake as well. However, I do practice with it just so my foot will know where to go in an emergency. If I need to make a quick stop I immediately grab the front brake and start down shifting. The right foot is the last thing in the OMG chain of command.

Comment

if your using engine braking for whatever reason and there are cars behind you they dont see a brakelight. So when I engine brake i put my rear on a little to light it up. good idea??

Comment

the more ways that you can make urself visible, the better. lightly tapping or holding down ur rear brake will work for sure..if you feel comfortable enuff..just lightly trigger ur front break on & off, ..this will allow you to make it blink and catch their eye..but thats not recommended unless ur comfortable with ur bike and using the front brake..u dont wanna grab a handful of the front brake if not ready to handle it.

doing the same with the rear brake is probably more comfortable for beginning riders.

it also depends on how much ur trying to slow down or stop while downshifting to use engine to reduce speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                      the more ways that you can make urself visible, the better. lightly tapping or holding down ur rear brake will work for sure..if you feel comfortable enuff..just lightly trigger ur front break on & off, ..this will allow you to make it blink and catch their eye..but thats not recommended unless ur comfortable with ur bike and using the front brake..u dont wanna grab a handful of the front brake if not ready to handle it.

doing the same with the rear brake is probably more comfortable for beginning riders.

it also depends on how much ur trying to slow down or stop while downshifting to use engine to reduce speed.
                      That is basically what I do... I use the rear brake with the front if I need to stop quickly (which I have had to do a few times thus far) I like to use mainly my front for most stopping and use the rear toward the end of the stop.. just so i can get my foot used to where it is and such. the only time i use my rear brake only is if I want a little bit of braking and being lazy.

I will sometimes us some breaking in a turn if I have taken it too fast and not prepared for the lean... The one time I have to emergency brake in a turn i was leaned over and brought the bike upright before the braking all out of instinct (thanks MSF class.) using the rear brake in my mind is the same as engine breaking in a turn. they both cause the rear wheel to slow down. Some people who have ridden behind me get on me for using my brakes in a turn while leaning over.. but most of the time I am not braking but my big feet end up touching the rear brake while leaned over just enough for the light to go on... or because I am covering the break and slightly press it as above causing the light to come on...
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

ON A SIDE NOTE, I THINK IT MAY BE IMPORTANT TO MENTION WAYS TO PREVENT HARD BRAKING. ONE SHOULD NOT ACCELERATE TO QUICKLY IN HIGH TRAFFIC (PEOPLE OR CARS) AREAS. ALWAYS HAVE 1000% OF YOUR ATTENTION ON YOUR SURROUNDINGS; SINCE, AS ALWAYS, THEREs SOMEONE OR THING COMING OUT OF NOWHERE.
                        (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

There is some great info on this thread!
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

MSF COURSE????

Hey this MSF course seems like a great thing....but do we have it up here in Ontario?

-------------------------------------------------------steve

Comment

I believe there are a couple of MSF INSTRUCTORS from Canada actually ON this site ...
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Who are they???

-------------------------------------------------------steve

Comment

Working...
                                X