X

drag racing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drag racing

my uncle ownes a gsx-r 750, and i have a katana 600. he lives in port st. lucie, and i live in orlando but we're both going for the first time to the moroso drag strip in west palm. i dont know how to launch very well though. everytime i try, the engine sorta lags before it picks up. is that just just lack of power on my katana? my uncle doggs me all the time about my "whimpy" katana. i wanna make a good time and not embarrase all katana owners at the drag strip. please help

You just need to practice. Your uncle will whoop your @$$ every time though, fuel injection = MUCH quicker throttle response.

If you are lagging a little, try a little more gas and a little slower off the clutch.

Be safe out there and have fun!
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Yeah , the key is ABUSING your cluthc . Wanna slip it to keep your rpm's up until you REALLY start moving . Like slip it keeping the rpm's above 5k . Problem is , dragracing CAN be tough on a clutch ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

after that take your uncle for a long ride and see how his ass feels.your wimpie katana seat will feel better.

Comment

Honestly, you've no real chance unless he stalls out, falls asleep or can't ride worth squat.

To get a good launch, get you RPM's up, but not far enough to cause a ton of wheelspin on launch. lower your center of gravity and get your legs a hair out to the side on launch to keep yourself stable until your rolling. -Anticipate the lights but don't try to beat 'em. Look on Youtube at some of the pros (Like Ricky Gadsen) to get a visual idea of what I'm talking about. He's really good. -He hit an 8.48 in the quarter with an almost stock ZX-14 (lowering links and an exhaust)!

Warm your tires up first and make sure they're slightly underinflated. Hit your shifts slightly before the powerband slopes off in every gear. -It just takes practice, but you'll get the hang of it.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

come on....I think there is more to a race between a GSX-R 750 and a Katana 600 than slipping the clutch!

Let's see.....
            750 lighter, 150 cc's more...

hmmm.....I don't think there is a clutch in this world that will make the Katana win this.
            -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
            -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
              You just need to practice. Your uncle will whoop your @$$ every time though, fuel injection = MUCH quicker throttle response.

If you are lagging a little, try a little more gas and a little slower off the clutch.

Be safe out there and have fun!
              Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think reconstyle has it backwards. I believe fuel injected bikes have more lag than those with carbuerators. The Katana should have quicker throttle response because the engine does not have to wait for the computer chip to tell how much fuel to fire into the cylinders. Thus, the Katana has a more direct drive than something that is fuel injected.

Honestly though, I don't think the difference would be very significant.
              1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

thanks guys, big help. ill post a comment on how it went after i go

Comment

Don't forget to ask for atleast 2 lengths.

Comment

You wont embarrass all Kat's he's on a R and has more cc's then you don't feel bad just have fun and tell him that there are some Kat's that are older then dirt that would embarrass the hell out of him.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrison
                      come on....I think there is more to a race between a GSX-R 750 and a Katana 600 than slipping the clutch!
                      Hey , he asked for help on how to launch better . I'm sure he KNOWS he ain't got a chance .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        Originally posted by mharrison
                        Hey , he asked for help on how to launch better . I'm sure he KNOWS he ain't got a chance .
                        He could all ways come up here and brow my kat I think it can take a R 750

Comment

what kind of kat you got?

Comment

Originally posted by eb770
                            Err... look at the pic in his signature.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by eb770
                              It is a very fast Kat.

Comment

Working...
                              X