Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Getting back on the road after some crash related downtime..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back on the road after some crash related downtime..

Comin off this myself I can say there are a few things that will help you get back into the groove of riding. First time back on a bike after a fall can be a little unnerving to most people and so I thought I'd give a few tips for those of you who like me are just getting back on the road.

1: readjust to the bikes sounds. If you havent ridden in a while you're not used to the RPM sounds especially as they relate to your speed. Coming out of my dually which cruises the freeway at 2000rpm to my bike turning 8 grand in normal riding is a little differnt. Just run through the gears a few times to get used to the relationship between the speed and motor.

2: work into your braking - remember - a bike stops fast but if you havent ridden in a spell you're still gonna need to readjust to it - things approach quickly on a bike so get used to the feel again.

3: if you're riding the same bike give it a little 20 mile side street trip to make sure you've worked out the kinks.

4: you'll probably feel a little uncomfortable - almost wobbly - take it slow at first and get the feel of it before you go try to hit some twisties - your biorythm is probably gonna be off the first few rides so just be mellow and work yourself up to it.

5: relax - its just a bike remember - you rode one for xxx-miles before you had a mishap - this is just one more ride. take your corners easy and smooth until you get the feel for them again.

6: wheelie past the police station to get your confidence up - i mean if you can outrun them you're back to normal speed right?

Ok - so skip the last one - just get the feel for the bike - especially if you're riding the one that crashed - make sure everythign is aligned and working right....take it easy......get the "i'm one with the machine" mentality again - slowly work up yourself until you're comfortable.
    97 Katana 600
    [email protected] (or IM)

Wow-- This would be a great sticky in the Riding Tips section!
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Getting back on the road after some crash related downti

Originally posted by Wade-Kat600
      get the "i'm one with the machine" mentality
      Pretty much every time I ride I feel "connected" to the bike. Able to feel things through the bike, etc. But every once in a while I become "disconnected". I feel like I'm just siting on top, and along for the ride. It's quite unnerving. It happened at my track day earlier this month while mid corner at full clip. I slowed down for the remaining 2 corners and I pulled in the pits. Next session I took it easy for the first few laps until I felt "connected" again. It's a weird feeling thats for sure.

Comment

Huh , my last crash-related downtime was about an hour .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Very good advise. Thanks. The ankles are taking longer than I expected to heal. Its been almost a month and I still cant upshift yet.
          My Every Move Is A Calculated Step............

*~*~*~*KNIGHTRIDERS*~*~*~*

Comment

Working...
          X