X

bouncing during turn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bouncing during turn?

Ok so I've recently started to get more comfortable in my turns. Just last week I was on the expressway and was cruising at about 80-85. I leaned left into a turn pretty far (as much as necessary for that turn at the speed), but suddenly I felt the rear tire start bouncing up and down and it was kind of frieghtening because I had never felt that before.

My question is, did I do anything wrong? I mapped out my path of travel, kept vision ahead through the turn. Could it be my suspension settings? I'm not sure exactly how to read it, but on the rear suspension the "1" and the "7" are on the upper portion at the center. Is that ok?

Thanks for your help guys.

-Jose

Any chance you hit some rough pavement? The only time I felt the back end get unsettled was really rough pavement and that time I rode through some gravel mid turn.

As for the suspension CP has posted the stock settings are for a skinny bugger

I was running damping on 3 (top of shock) and spring preload (bottom) on 5 on my stock shock.
    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
      Any chance you hit some rough pavement? The only time I felt the back end get unsettled was really rough pavement

Me too
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

This is where suspensions prove themselves..
        (good or bad) What sounds like may have been happening is that the frequency of the ripples in the pavement was not kept up by the rear tire. If the rear cannot "rebound", that is return the tire as fast as the bump returns, the tire looses contact. It is also possible that with too little damping the tire actually over travels. In fact even one bump can "unsettle" the suspension not just a series.

This may be caused by either (or both) compression damping or rebound damping. A spring (like the one on the rear) will vibrate when shocked (by a bump). Imagine the swing are like a ruler held over the edge of a table. Flick it and it oscillates (vibrates) up and down (even if it was only flicked down) until the energy dissipates. Oil in the shock piston damps the vibration. The weight of the bike damps some of the energy, so separate compression and rebound damping adjustments are best. Not always available on a budget though. The energy by the way is turned into heat. That is why higher end shocks have reservoirs. More oil means it can hold more heat. Hot oil is of course thinner and then squeezes through the damping valve easier lessening the damping..

Comment

I'm pretty sure I didn't hit a bump or anything, but I do remember feeling some vibration on that same portion of the road when traveling in my car sometime before. However, I only felt the "bumpiness" while in the turn on the bike, as opposed to the entire stretch of road while in the car.

As for the suspension, whats the best way to turn it, and is there two different "wheels" to turn? Dampening/Spring Preload? I don't want to screw it up by using an inappropriate tool. I weigh about 185 with gear and I am about 6'2. So, I'm pretty skinny, but my height adds to the weight.

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

THAZKAT's "Suspension Set up Explained"

Motorcyclist Magazine's "How-to adjust suspension"
            There's a delicious irony in all this. Motorcycle buyers demand all the bells and whistles, particularly on sportbikes. And they complain bitterly if their new mount lacks anything that might be on Nicky's or Troy's factory-backed racer--especially in terms of chassis and suspension adjustability. And yet we get letters all the time suggesting that the myriad suspension adjustments are unclear at best and purely baffling at worst.As we continue our "How It Works" journey through a bike's susp

And
            Motorcyclist Magazine's "How-to replace a rear shock"
            Sooner or later, you'll want to remove your sportbike's stock shock--maybe to replace it with an often superior aftermarket item or to send it to a tuner for a rebuild and revalve job. Either way, you've got to get it off the bike without incident.

And
            Motorcyclist Magazine's "How-to set pre-load"
            Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.

That will get you started..

Comment

It sounds like you need to make some suspension adjustments. Didn't someone just post a video the other day that showed how to set sag and fork preload?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Not how to set it , but it showed how a stocker is set off the showroom and what would need done for different weight riders . And yeah , they said the '06 have fork preload . What gives ? I thought all ANY Kat had on the fork was rebound damping .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

That would be weird if they got preload the last year.
                  Maybe the guy just assmumed?

Comment

Working...
                  X