going inbetween cars??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going inbetween cars??

Hi,

I am a new rider and was wondering if the "going in between cars when stopped for red light" is a good and safe practice or not!

That is called lane splitting. As far as I know it is only legal in CA. If you are going to do that at a light make sure that you have a nice crisp start. That way you do not end up holding up traffic and putting yourself at risk.

Comment

Yeah it's legal only in CA. The good thing here is that you won't have people randomly opening doors for no reason, rickshaws suddenly popping up out of nowhere, or 20 bikes heading for the same 12 inch gap between cars. Play it safe.
      Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Play it safe and just don't do it.....you never know when a car door will open
        Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Yes I saw a lot of it in Cali. I used to always try to give the bikers room when I saw them coming up. But, there are many who don't bother to clear their rear when they want to change lanes and that is dangerous.
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

yeah. even i wud prefer not to do that unless absolutely necessary. more than safety i am also concerned of scratching my bike or a car maybe

Comment

Not safe.

Stupid (pisses off drivers, we don't need that.)

Selfish.

And legal in California.

Somehow, the last one makes perfect sense, in light of the first three.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

StevieB is rite dont do it you will only piss off drivers i no before i started ridin i would get mad if sum bike came cuttin threw traffic if you gotta wait you gotta wait lol

Comment

It is an accepted practice in California. If you feel uncomfortable doing it than don't. I've seen many do it at speed and I think that's crazy but I do it when riding in backed up rush hour traffic. It is better done in HOV lanes too.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
                      Not safe.

Stupid (pisses off drivers, we don't need that.)

Selfish.

And legal in California.

Somehow, the last one makes perfect sense, in light of the first three.
                      bwahahaha so true, i was laughing my ass off for about 10 minuets
                      f you can read this thank a teacher, if you an read this in English thank a VETERAN

Comment

Originally posted by damic
                        It is an accepted practice in California. If you feel uncomfortable doing it than don't. I've seen many do it at speed and I think that's crazy but I do it when riding in backed up rush hour traffic. It is better done in HOV lanes too.
                        I wonder: accepted by whom? Motorcyclist? Well, sure- they get to put one over on everybody else. But accepted by everyone else? I wouldn't be so sure...
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Whenever I see an out-of-state license plate I tend to lane split with hyper caution, if at all. Freaks them out way too much. It's bad enough with some of the "freaks" on Cali freeways, anyway.
                          sigpic

Comment

Depends on how pissed I am at the time
                            It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

someone mentioned HOV lanes. sometimes I see its written "motorcycles OK' and sometimes its not mentioend. in Cali, is it always legal to ride on HOV even it doesnt mention "motorcycles OK' ??

Comment

Working...
                              X