X

Being Afraid, or realistic?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Afraid, or realistic?

I have yet to ride a motorcycle, and I am taking the state funded safety course in March. I really want to ride a motorcycle, and I put safety before anything else. (i race my car) My mother in law has shown me some nasty photos of people that were in bike wrecks. (she is in the medical field) and warns me to be careful. Some of the pics she has shown me has really freaked me out, and I am studying to be a medic myself. I guess my fear is dumping my bike in traffic and becoming one of the gruesome pictures. Has anyone else had this fear when they were starting out, or am I just a wuss?

KR mod. edit in the title...

I still have it.

It's a good thing....and if you can keep it with you, you will be a safer rider for it.

Use the fear to give you the drive to continuously improve as a rider.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ
      I still have it.

It's a good thing....and if you can keep it with you, you will be a safer rider for it.

Use the fear to give you the drive to continuously improve as a rider.
      How long have you been riding? Also how much has it helped you improve your riding skills?

Comment

What they don't show you is that you can get just as mangled in a Cage. If you are cautious and careful, something can still happen. It's the sad truth. As I look at it, it is not me I need to be watching, it is everyone else around me.

I think it is wise to take the course before you really start hitting the road. Then once you start hitting the highway, take it at your own pace.

Anything and everything has the potential to be dangerous.

I am a firm believer though, that when it is your time, it is your time.

Ride safe, and enjoy life!
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Oh, I do plan on taking the course and getting my liscence before I purchase my first bike, and riding. I do not want to leave my wife a widow. By cage do you mean car?

Comment

I see a reminder of what can happen everytime I look down at my leg. My wife has scars on her ankles and sides from her wreck. We were all wearing gear but it can happen. It is not a bad feeling to have. There are lots of idiots, be prepared.. But life is too short and you only get one shot. If you love cars, you may be like me after getting a bike. My brand new Mustang with 3300 miles on it sat in the driveway for three weeks without getting started after I got my 1981 Yamaha XS400 that I paid the equivalent of one Mustang payment for. It is addicting and to me it has become the thing I enjoy more than anything else in this world is feeling the wind on my body, and the rumble of the bike under me. The only thing that would make me give up riding is if I knew the next time i picked the kick stand up I would die and my daughter would not have a dad. But that could just as easily happen driving my truck to work. There is no way to guarantee absolute saftey. Life is about living. So Just Do It. Sorry about the rant.
            I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Comment

No worries about the rant. I understand completely. I do not want to leave my wife a widow. (she would be well off though lol) I work for the BNSF railway, and I face danger every day at my job. I have become accustomed to the danger, and watch myself. I hope that I can transfer that to riding.

Comment

Originally posted by MrShred

How long have you been riding? Also how much has it helped you improve your riding skills?
                Got my first bike in '85.

It's helped a TON. Every single time I head out, I'm convinced that everyone is out to get me. It drives me to pay attention to everything, not forget the basics, to not get lazy and take things for granted, lots of things.

It also drives me to stay modest and understand how to push my limits responsibly so that I can get better in both skill-related areas and safety-related ones as well.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Mr Shred, you work at BNSF? Small world, me too . Trainservice?
                  Common sense is great, it's just not all that common.

Comment

Yes. Cage = Car
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by medieval
                      Mr Shred, you work at BNSF? Small world, me too . Trainservice?
                      Yeah, I work in the yards here in Chicago.

Comment

GEAR! GEAR! GEAR! take another look at some of those pics and see how many of them are wearing any. if you take the proper steps to protect yourself, you can walk away from a lot of those without a scratch. take MSF, get your lisence, buy the best gear you can, and then go get yourself a bike that you enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ

It's helped a TON. Every single time I head out, I'm convinced that everyone is out to get me.
                          We are out to get you, but we can never catch you! Kim and I tried though!

Comment

Originally posted by KatDan2
                            GEAR! GEAR! GEAR! take another look at some of those pics and see how many of them are wearing any. if you take the proper steps to protect yourself, you can walk away from a lot of those without a scratch. take MSF, get your lisence, buy the best gear you can, and then go get yourself a bike that you enjoy.

Yeah what he said. I have been riding off and on for more than 20 years, but only 1.5 years of continous street riding and around 6000 miles. Everytime I go out I am learning and watching. A healthy respect for the machine and the danger around you will keep you from being a squid or worse yet getting hurt.

Welcome to Katriders.
                            AMA member # 224227

Comment

Having alittle fear of crashing is healthy..it keeps you grounded and makes you understand what can happen. but you certainly cant let it run ur life or dictate whether or not you ride. Riding has risks, no doubt, and all you can do is take the MSF course, pay attention, learn from the instructors, read up as much as possible on How to's of riding, and pay attention when your out on the road. You cant control it all, but u can control what your mind is doind when ur out riding.

Be alert, ride safe, be smart, and courteous! You'll be good to go.

Theres nothing like riding a bike, its the greatest feeling in the world!

Comment

Working...
                              X